filter on MAP line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter on MAP line?

I will be running a boosted application. I have seen some reference to using a filter of some sort between the intake and the MAP sensor. Is that necessary?
    ed

if a filter is needed..it would most likely need a diode of sorts as well.

full wave or half.

big static number from boost?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My fault for poor elucidation of issue. The filter to which I refer is (I believe) one to eliminate contamination of fuel into the MAP line, not an electronic filter. My boost will not exceed 18 PSI. Any type of physical filter needed in the line from the manifold to the sensor?

Comment

Nope, the diaphragm in the Motorola sensors is tough. I've never used one in hundreds of applications.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          Nope, the diaphragm in the Motorola sensors is tough. I've never used one in hundreds of applications.
          I agree with Scott, it is not needed.....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            I agree with Scott, it is not needed.....
            why do you agree with me?
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

why do you agree with me?
              For the simple fact that an intake plenum sees fuel all over it even in non boosted conditions, also the MAP sensor on my '99 Z28 plugs right into the manifolds plenum which would expose it to contaminates...... Plus I'm sure if it was needed MegaSquirt would have included one in its kits...... Also on OEM turbo setups that I have worked on I've never seen a filter...... So if the OEM doesn't feel it's needed I'm sure it's not needed......

What did you want me to do argue with you??....... Sometime it's just best to go with the flow......
              Last edited by TC; April 1, 2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

For the simple fact that an intake plenum sees fuel all over it even in non boosted conditions, also the MAP sensor on my '99 Z28 plugs right into the manifolds plenum which would expose it to contaminates...... Plus I'm sure if it was needed MegaSquirt would have included one in its kits...... Also on OEM turbo setups that I have worked on I've never seen a filter...... So if the OEM doesn't feel it's needed I'm sure it's not needed......

What did you want me to do argue with you??....... Sometime it's just best to go with the flow......
                The MAP sensor in your Z28 is pointed downwards for a reason Alex, FYI.

Comment

The MAP sensor in your Z28 is pointed downwards for a reason Alex, FYI.
                  Fuel vapor still will contaminate it no matter what....... Ever seen the inside of a fuel injected intake??, if you did you probably wouldn't have made the statement above.......

Comment

Fuel vapor still will contaminate it no matter what....... Ever seen the inside of a fuel injected intake??, if you did you probably wouldn't have made the statement above.......
                    Yep, you're right, I'm a newb to EFI and never saw the inside of an EFI intake (in reality, I am the person who once pointed this out to you, but that brain cell apparently has been forever lost?).

Meanwhile, your MAP sensor is pointed DOWNHILL for a reason, it's well documented, and you don't know why.

Ecorl, just make sure you keep an uphill run in your MAP hose to keep condensation from puddling in your sensof diaphragm. Ignore the TC chatter, he follows me around wherever I go, LOL. He does his best to hurt the signal-to-noise ratio because, well, that's all he can do effectively.

Comment

Yep, you're right, I'm a newb to EFI and never saw the inside of an EFI intake (in reality, I am the person who once pointed this out to you, but that brain cell apparently has been forever lost?).

Meanwhile, your MAP sensor is pointed DOWNHILL for a reason, it's well documented, and you don't know why.

Ecorl, just make sure you keep an uphill run in your MAP hose to keep condensation from puddling in your sensof diaphragm. Ignore the TC chatter, he follows me around wherever I go, LOL. He does his best to hurt the signal-to-noise ratio because, well, that's all he can do effectively.
                      You think condensate won't form on the sensor just because it is pointed in a downward direction, that's rich.........

Comment

You think condensate won't form on the sensor just because it is pointed in a downward direction, that's rich.........
                        your point would have merit if it weren't for two things: (1) gravity and (2) GM specifically citing this for the reason their non-remote MAPs are all pointed... downhill.

The point is to not have fluids puddle and be trapped in the MAP sensor. I say this for the OP, because I bet he's gotten at least one or two projects running under their own power in the last decade.

Comment

your point would have merit if it weren't for two things: (1) gravity and (2) GM specifically citing this for the reason their non-remote MAPs are all pointed... downhill.

The point is to not have fluids puddle and be trapped in the MAP sensor. I say this for the OP, because I bet he's gotten at least one or two projects running under their own power in the last decade.
                          Preaching to choir......... Your funny.......

Comment

I've had several customers install a MAP sensor pointed upward, have oil or condensate get into it and cause trouble, and have the issue go away when they redid things so it pointed downhill. Gravity is as reliable as gravity.

Comment

MAp line fouling

Thanks all. Good dialog. I am proud to say I have NO experience what-so-ever. Remember I am going to t-off the line from the manifold to the boost guage and then attaching to the sensor on the megasquirt. The megasquirt and boost guage are both higher than the manifold and the firewall pass-through is lower than the manifold. Hoping this is sufficient.

ed

Comment

Working...
                              X