Crank sensor wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank sensor wheel?

While opening up my crate vortec 350 to install the ramjet cam , I pull the timing cover and there is a wheel that's for the crank sensor it looks like this

Is this use able for a holley hp or ms efi . most I've seen used have many more teeth looking more like a abs wheel than this type. I know it works as g.m. made millions of these. but will the aftermarker ecu's work with it and be good enough. and whats the reasoning behind the teeth counts on these wheels.
    Thanks
    Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 12, 2013, 11:41 PM.

conversation on both questions:

Re: Small block Chevy Installation

by jsmcortina » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:48 am
    Four on the crank and one one the cam is sufficient for V8 sequential and coil on plug. However, you would get increased precision with more teeth on the crank wheel. e.g. a 36-1.

James
    Last edited by Beagle; June 13, 2013, 08:31 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
      While opening up my crate vortec 350 to install the ramjet cam , I pull the timing cover and there is a wheel that's for the crank sensor it looks like this

Is this use able for a holley hp or ms efi . most I've seen used have many more teeth looking more like a abs wheel than this type. I know it works as g.m. made millions of these. but will the aftermarker ecu's work with it and be good enough. and whats the reasoning behind the teeth counts on these wheels.
      Thanks

I'tll work with just about any system IF you are using a distributor and run batch / bank fire injection.

To step up to wasted spark ignition, a "missing tooth" wheel needs to be present on the crank, and more toothcount. The higher the toothcount your EFI computer can read the more accurate your ignition timing *can* be (there are other caveats).

The ultimate setup is a missing tooth wheel on the crank and a single tooth trigger spinning at cam speed, as this allows sequential injection, coil-per-plug sequential ignition. Holley HP will support all these and is a truly great system in my opinion.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There is a one tooth cam sensor as well, so it is capable of running sequential fuel with the stock sensors with MS3 or Holley. Extra teeth are used to increase accuracy, as long as the ECU can support it - I contributed an explanation to the MS2 manual here:

This one also explains why certain ECUs (MS1, for example, and I suspect FAST) don't gain extra accuracy from higher tooth counts, while some ECUs (MS2 and MS3, and I suspect Haltech) can make use of the extra teeth.

I'm not sure how Holley's wheel decoder works or who developed it, but it seems to have a small number of specific options and they may have effectively written custom firmware for each version.

Comment

Working...
        X