EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EFI

Jim you'll appreciate this, when I was assembling both my MS 3.0's, relay board, and JimStim I felt just like I did as a kid assembling a large lego kits, only now I'm an adult ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
      Originally posted by min301
      Generic TBI fuel pump-$127.99(summit pricing).
      I would have to dig up the part numbers, but when I worked at AutoZone 14-21psi external pumps could be had from stock TBI systems for around $40. That's the route I'm taking with the T-bird.
      I wouldn't buy TP at AZ, even if they gave it away.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
        Generic TBI fuel pump-$127.99(summit pricing).
        that's a screwjob, you can get airtek pumps for TBI for $30
        True, but I've had quite a few Airtex fuel pumps fail.

Comment

I don't dispute what is being said, but the setup I noted will carry more than 350 lb. ft..

I could go dirt cheap with the used stuff available from
          local circle track racers, but to me that would be cheating.

EFI is awesome stuff, able to tame wicked motors, get better milage
          than carbs, with no loss in power.
          Realistically, to the average DIY'r- it's out of reach, both
          moneywise, and technologically speaking.

EFI is far better when speaking of turbo/supercharged applications, too.
          bill

the only problem that i have really ever come across with people and efi is that they would like some one else to do it because they have no want to learn what they are to do.

how did you guys learn how to work with carbs with this kind of additude. i dont understand it. i am by far not an I.T. guy but when scott started showing me how it works it interested me enough to want to further my knowledge and ability to tune. i am in no way claiming to know more than anyone else there is still a whole lot that i have to learn.

what will happen when carbs become extinct (it will happen one day).

Comment

Funny, this is one issue I've never understood. Why's everyone get so torqued up about this?

This goes right back to the root of the original automotive debate.

Horse or car?

Some guys stuck with horses until the bitter end for daily transportation because cars seemed finnicky and weird to them. They viewed the car as something that was just far too much trouble, when all the horse needed was a bag of oats and a shovel for the tail pipe.

Eventually, we see how it worked out and eventually it will probably happen the same way with this hobby.

I dig the big ol' Holley on our race car.
            When I finally lay into the 'Stude I want to go with a MegaSquirt system to prove to myself that I can do it.

I guess I have no emotional tie to the process of fuel delivery.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I talk to folks at the track, and on the street.
              Many are scared of it.
              Many are just ignorant.
              I had no choice but to learn, no one did it for me.
              Also, I have much expirience with factory injection
              systems, understand how they work, etc., so i
              feel like I'm in a unique situation where I can see both sides.

I've heard and read most of the info, but would like it in
              print here for all to see, so their questions get answered to the fullest.
              Thats all.

Comment

have you installed/tuned a standalone EMS or just troubleshoot OEM systems? there's a huge difference which would probably change your perspective.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  Funny, this is one issue I've never understood. Why's everyone get so torqued up about this?

This goes right back to the root of the original automotive debate.

Horse or car?

Some guys stuck with horses until the bitter end for daily transportation because cars seemed finnicky and weird to them. They viewed the car as something that was just far too much trouble, when all the horse needed was a bag of oats and a shovel for the tail pipe.

Eventually, we see how it worked out and eventually it will probably happen the same way with this hobby.

I dig the big ol' Holley on our race car.
                  When I finally lay into the 'Stude I want to go with a MegaSquirt system to prove to myself that I can do it.

I guess I have no emotional tie to the process of fuel delivery.

Brian

X2....I have had both several times and as long as they are tuned properly, in their own individual ways, run great...

It seems to me that people get just as bent out of shape about EFI vs. Carbs as they do about Domestic vs. Import...

I love the tech info on both...as I will soon have a car with each...

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I've had my hand in some OEM(Ford and GM) based EFI, no MS.
                    We also have some fairly good tuners here(VT Engines, Peirce engineering, etc..),
                    I'm no expert in this area, by any means.

The tech info, and pricing I just want seen up front,
                    so that all can learn from us. Beyond that is application specific,
                    but as a Mod here, I just want the most info possible for readers/veiwers.

Comment

I'm not going to fully praise or condemn EFI yet as I am only 50% through the process, but I can tell you the EFI is much more involved in the part assembly and set up but with greater effort comes greater satisfaction (at least for me).
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

have you installed/tuned a standalone EMS or just troubleshoot OEM systems? there's a huge difference which would probably change your perspective.
                        What are the differences? Pros and cons of each?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                          What are the differences? Pros and cons of each?
                          This is best left to one of the EFI guru's to answer.

Comment

True, but I've had quite a few Airtex fuel pumps fail.
                            I noticed a couple drops under the front of the suburban yesterday, damn Airtex water pump I put on it a few weeks ago is leaking.

Originally posted by shaun callaway
                            how did you guys learn how to work with carbs with this kind of additude.
                            You can actually look at the parts in a carb and figure out what they do. Electronics is a whole nuther ball o wax.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Unlike some, I like the idea of EFI, on anything.
                              It can be hidden well, so converting an old Hilborn is ok.

Doing EFI on a budget, kinda sounds to be an oxymoron.
                              I'm sure it can, and is being done, just sounds weird.

Comment

heres a dumb question, I just started to build a run stand for the numerous mills I have sitting here. almost all use a 4150 based intake. how about using a MS system on my run stand. that would give me some practice of building and tuning so when it came time to install in a car I would have some first hand knowledge. what do ya think Scott?
                                Doug
                                Reading , Pa
                                Good Guys rodders rep.
                                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                                X