EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EFI

Well, this dinosaur (me) is going to find out soon enough.

I ordered (Thanks 'Geek), a complete MS system a couple weeks ago from DIY Autotune...they even loaded the latest version of MSExtra for me @ N/C.

I'm going to convert a carbed (and big cammed) 383 SBC, 750 vac sec, Vicxtor Jr'd, mechanical pumped Camaro to an MS1 (fuel and timing control).

The biggest reason? My wife drives the car.

She hates the "driveability" problems associated with a big cam/big heads/big intake sometimes.

For all you carbed guys (me included)....what about PURE DRIVEABILITY?

When you're able to get into a car, turn the key for 2 seconds, NOT pump the throttle, NOT worry about gettin heat into the intake, NOT worry about it being a little lean or rich when cold, NOT have excessive idle speed when hot, not idle fat on a hot day, not have a lean misfire on a really cold day, or have to deal with heat related starting and surging issues.

Sure, all of these have a "fix", but in many cases, it comes at the expense of something else.
    We ALL know, Holley doesn't build a "carb for all occasions". AND, most of us have a BIG box of stuff to build/adjust/tune/tweak....and use it regularly (like when the temp changes more than 40*).

Thats the biggest reason for me. I just don't want to have to "tune on it" at every damn stoplight.

Comment

well put caddy

Comment

Originally posted by Caddyman

The biggest reason? My wife drives the car.

<Insert whipping noise here>
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

whats wrong with a chick driving a hot rod/muscle car and wanting it to be reliable

Comment

you get back to the fuel pump issue....I haven't had to rescue my wife in her Dart lately, but I did have to rescue her in her Prowler a couple months ago when the pump quit. And when the Dart has died, it's been ignition/wiring problems every time.

She never complains about the way the Dart runs/starts. I guess she's used to it after all these years.

If I want a nice, pleasant, sterile driving experience, I'll jump in a late model.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

that would be because aftemarket FP's are better than OEM in my opinion.

i have found that mounting the fuel pump even or lover than the bottom of the gas tank extends the life of it, just my experience.

Comment

This one turned out to be another chrysler/molex connector issue, one wire connection in the pump assembly connector overheated. OEM pumps seem to work ok if they get enough fuel to them, and don't have to work too hard....meaning, change the filters regularly. Although this isn't too easy to do on the returnless systems they're making now. Also the newer cars have a little reservoir on the pump, which helps if you like to run the tank almost dry before refilling-the pump is always in a little can of fuel, so it will stay cool.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

good deal

i cant really say much about a manufacturer choice of connectors but in my expirience there has to be a reason as to why it burned up not just because it did.

Comment

It burned up because it's a bad design. It's the same round tubular type contact that's used on the ignition switch (and turn signal switch) on the Dart, they used it in the 60s to mid 70s or so.

Most Prowlers don't have 50k miles on them, but the ones that do usually have a fuel pump failure before they get 100k.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

that sucks

lets get back on topic this is the efi thread not the late model performance thread.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
                        good deal

i cant really say much about a manufacturer choice of connectors but in my expirience there has to be a reason as to why it burned up not just because it did.
                        Jim pretty much covered it, but I see GM cars and trucks needing fuel pump replacement, way more than any other.

Comment

The fuel pump issue actually is a big part of the whole efi vs carb issue. If there was an easy, inexpensive way to get a good reliable high pressure fuel supply into an old car, you'd probably see more EFI swaps.

My fabulous web page

Comment

That's my big thing for EFI swaps is the fuel system complications. Most people I've heard of with that silly mechanical RacePump hate it and pitch it.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

so what im reading is its no efi putting you off its using an electric fuel pump that may go bad that is putting you off. is that correct or is that just part of it.

Comment

Its part of it, its a complication for those of us who want it that I find the most annoying to overcome. My solution is to use a B-body tank but I had to notch the frame rails in the back to fit it but I have heard of people putting the B-body tank into 67-72 A-bodies aswell. I hate external pumps and they are notoriously short lived, so I refuse to consider one that is not in a fuel bath. But if you haven't noticed I'm a fan of factory stuff so I lean very heavily to adapting OEM stuff to work.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X