EFI Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hackery 101.

Some day I'll apply fuel to mine and see if they leak 35/64 bit, a small dremel to round the entrance for the o-ring insertion and NPT tapped ends Lets see how good O-rings are It'll be bench tested/pressurized before being installed into the car.

I just drilled them until the bit fully went into the fuel passage. This picture has the injectors pushed too far in, I had to pull them out a bit to install the electrical clip, so I'm guessing the top of the injectors are about flush with the fuel passage.

I still have to figure out how to retain the rails on the engine. I'm thinking a J-shaped plate from the cam housing bolts to the rails. I'll have to pull the rails off again to drill a bolt hole, but it'll probably be how I hold them in place.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 29, 2013, 01:46 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

nice work!
      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Did another conversion recently where I also rolled the injector angle back to the MAX.
          Milled off the bosses that where cast on the manifold cause they just wouldn't work for what I was after.

Injector location layout

Rolled back as far as possible to try and aim at the back of the valve

Just barely made it........

Making the fuel rails from a raw extrusion. Nice to have a digital readout!

Done and ready for welding the bungs in place

Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Looks sharp.

Comment

Had 12 hours on this one cause I had to mill those bosses off.
              Nick Smithberg
              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

that casting looks oddly familiar, does it say BM1 on it?

12 hours? YIKES. Hard to make money on that one!!!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Nick, did you ever flow the manifold before and after? I'm just wondering what impact that had on the airflow.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    that casting looks oddly familiar, does it say BM1 on it?

12 hours? YIKES. Hard to make money on that one!!!
                    Ordinarily this would be true but when it is completely custom the typical price goes out the window. Yes, BM1.
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                      Nick, did you ever flow the manifold before and after? I'm just wondering what impact that had on the airflow.
                      Its really hard to flow a manifold by itself and get info that means something. I think a guy could get in trouble chasing a number to match things up when in reality you should be looking at other things. For me it needs to be a certain size and have the correct taper for its application. I usually stick the manifold on the head to see how much is gained or lost from head flow (as a baseline) since it is an extension of the intake port. A ported manifold like this if it only drops 10cfm from what the head flow was before I'd say it's pretty good. There are lots of theories on how to port a manifold using a flow bench but this is where I have found things to work for me. I did not port the manifold that I converted just needed to make sure where the injector holes ended up since my end mill was too short and we were in a time crunch.

Here is a pic of what I'm referring to. I have tape covering all of the manifold ports except for the one I'm working on. To me this is the proper way to flow a manifold. I also toss on a few different carbs that I have to see how much further things drop off. Flowing the assembly as a whole is the best way to do it!

Nick Smithberg
                      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

good info, thank you Nick. I was trying to be discreet and ask if that was a casting from the manifold you have been working on - BossMan1 ?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                        X