A thread for EFI newbie questions and answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thread for EFI newbie questions and answers

Do you have any questions you've wanted to know about EFI but were worried you'd get flamed for asking a newbie question? I thought I'd start a thread for this one, a thread for just covering the basics.

I'll admit I have a bit of an ulterior motive for this one - I am working on a book about EFI and want to be sure it answers all the questions the typical newcomer might have, so I wanted to collect a bunch of these questions.

Re: A thread for EFI newbie questions and answers

A glossary of EFI terms and abbreviations would be helpful.

Comment

Very true. Right now, here's a good one - it has a lot of Megasquirt specific terms in it but a lot of the terms apply to any manufacturer's system.

EFI, Fuel Injection, Auto, automotive, car, TPI, computation, ECU, MegaSquirt, GPIO, MicroSquirt, Sequencer, stim, MegaShift, MShift, DIY, transmission, 4L60E, 4L80E, controller, shifter

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
        A glossary of EFI terms and abbreviations would be helpful.
        Hey guys. Newbie on board.

Check out the technical download page on my website.
        FAST Man EFI, the best tech support. Fast and Holley fuel injection. The highest rated EFI source who answers the phone! Shop our products today! Need help with training and tuning, we offer that too!

Scroll down a tad. I wrote a series of 5 short articles for a local Mopar club.
        All the articles start with "All You Wanted To Know About EFI But Were Afraid To Ask ... 1-5"

That should help with the terms and the details.

Rich Nedbal
        FAST Man EFI, the best tech support. Fast and Holley fuel injection. The highest rated EFI source who answers the phone! Shop our products today! Need help with training and tuning, we offer that too!

Comment

Welcome aboard! neat website. I see you are big into the FAST systems. I like your technical writeups, very handy for the new guy. Goos stuff for sure!
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've tuned Accel Gen-7, and Megasquirt too, but I ended up with FAST because I could TALK TO THEM! That wasn't asking too much was it?

Comment

i too liked the write ups

welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                Do you have any questions you've wanted to know about EFI but were worried you'd get flamed for asking a newbie question? I thought I'd start a thread for this one, a thread for just covering the basics.

I'm still a newby when it comes to the basics certain things like engine-combos, so here's my question;
                Can I safely use, and what's the best/affordable EFI-system for a .630" rollercammed 500ci bigblock Mopar motor with an 8/71 Supercharger and 440-1 Indy heads and intake, running on Liquid Propane-fuel.
                Mostly street use though.

Now, where's the tonque in cheek-smiley...? ;)
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                  best/affordable EFI-system for a .630" rollercammed 500ci bigblock Mopar motor with an 8/71 Supercharger and 440-1 Indy heads and intake, running on Liquid Propane-fuel.
                  You're worried about affordable at this point? :P Any EFI system with large enough injectors will work, probably need an intake drilled and welded for Injector bungs. Near as I can tell just about any software/ECM choice can be made to work.

DieselGeek, think I should post some of the questions&answers from PM's I've sent you (mostly from the Hot Rod Forum)?
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                    best/affordable EFI-system for a .630" rollercammed 500ci bigblock Mopar motor with an 8/71 Supercharger and 440-1 Indy heads and intake, running on Liquid Propane-fuel.
                    You're worried about affordable at this point? :P Any EFI system with large enough injectors will work, probably need an intake drilled and welded for Injector bungs. Near as I can tell just about any software/ECM choice can be made to work.

DieselGeek, think I should post some of the questions&answers from PM's I've sent you (mostly from the Hot Rod Forum)?
                    Careful, there are EFI systems out there that are Alpha-N based that are just as complicated as any EFI system but don't offer any of the benefits once installed. I won't name them, but a lot of the ones sold by the guys who also sell Mechanical FI components should be avoided AT ALL COSTS.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I'm still a newby when it comes to the basics certain things like engine-combos, so here's my question; Can I safely use, and what's the best/affordable EFI-system for a .630" rollercammed 500ci bigblock Mopar motor with an 8/71 Supercharger and 440-1 Indy heads and intake, running on Liquid Propane-fuel.
                      Well it's good to see that we're starting on the safe side ... :

My race engine is a 500" Mopar with a similar cam, and the same heads, but no blower. But I have done quite a few blower EFI engines and in general I don't like them. For EFI you really need to have some injectors installed low - under the blower. Otherwise you will have tuning issues.

Go to my web site, technical downloads, scroll down, and download XFI tricks when using a Supercharger

I don't see a problem except for the Propane.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer

I'm still a newby when it comes to the basics certain things like engine-combos, so here's my question;
                        Can I safely use, and what's the best/affordable EFI-system for a .630" rollercammed 500ci bigblock Mopar motor with an 8/71 Supercharger and 440-1 Indy heads and intake, running on Liquid Propane-fuel.

Now, where's the tonque in cheek-smiley...? ;)
                        Even if it is tongue in cheek, that would be a good example of spec'ing out parts. Picking out an EFI system is a different sort of ball game from picking out many parts, as a lot of the things that could be big considerations when selecting other parts don't come very much into play when picking out an EFI setup. Many concerns like engine displacement are pretty much non-issues with EFI; they're little more than numbers you plug into the tuning software. And some things that you don't think too much about with selecting a carburetor can be major factors. Let's take a look at your requirements one by one, and what they mean for selecting an EFI system. I'll put them in what I see as the order of importance.

1. Running on liquid propane.

Propane injectors draw a lot of current and put out a lot of electrical noise. They're 3 ohm with a long opening time. So you would first need to find an ECU that can handle eight propane injectors.

2. 8-71 supercharger.

A supercharged motor of that size is going to be best with a speed density system - that is, it uses a MAP sensor (pressure sensor located below the blower) and RPM to calculate fuel. It will need a MAP sensor that can read as much boost as your blower puts out. An alpha-N setup (which just uses throttle position and RPM) would be tough to impossible to get in tune.

3. What ignition system you're running.

You didn't say this one, but you'll need to make sure that the system is compatible with your ignition. If your ECU can control the timing, this will make it a bit easier to tune it for maximum power.

If you're having a tuner install it instead of doing it yourself, you'll also want to see what the tuner knows how to work with.

Comment

FastMan,
                          The propane-fuel does make things 'not so basic' ;) indeed and ofcourse goes beyond the intentions of this topic.
                          "Prins" makes 'vapor injectors' for LPG injection systems, but I have no experience with these yet.

I do find it interesting to see in the tech-article that you're using fuel injection on 2 different locations with a supercharger.
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Matt,
                            The ignition system is undecided yet as of now, and will be what the fuel-system needs.
                            I know there are vapor injectors available now for liquid propane fuel-injection.

The engine build, wrenchwork and tuning will all be done by myself.
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Propane is one area I don't have too much personal experience with, other than helping customers get some noise issues straightened out with their injectors. How hot an ignition does it need?

Comment

Working...
                              X