question about serial to usb for use with megasquirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about serial to usb for use with megasquirt

Hello, Everyone I've talked to about usb adapters for use with a windows7 based machine says to use an adapter with a FDTI chipset to avoid the BSOD

the tuning cable on the diy AUTOTUNE page is a straight through cable, is the chipset going to screw with the connection to the p/c.

I have xp based p/c's avail. to use.
    just looking to avoid the windows BSOD if I can.

thanks for any help ..

here is a link to the cable/adapter I'm looking at, it's 10' long, should allow placing the ms anywhere in the car.

Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; August 19, 2013, 03:17 PM. Reason: dyslexic spelling

Sorry I can't remember who did it, but one of the guys covered this a while back, there is a buffer setting in the USB port properties of device manager for Windows that you modify so your USB->Serial will get along with Megasquirt.

Actually, you already asked this question. LOL.

lower the buffer setting , you need to slow things down. Serial isn't speedy like USB is, you get anything out of order and things go wrong. It's pretty easy to screw up flow control on something not intended to go much faster than 19,200 baud.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2013, 03:26 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've always had intermittent issues with my USB to serial adapters. A heck of a time with MS1 (sloooow) and not too much trouble with the MS2 and MS3. I finally switched over to the internal USB plug on the MS3.

I have no idea what that BSOD, etc jargon is.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

general good serial port settings are 9600, 8 bits, no parity and 1 stop bit. This works good for usb-serial commnuications with Cisco Console ports.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          I've always had intermittent issues with my USB to serial adapters. A heck of a time with MS1 (sloooow) and not too much trouble with the MS2 and MS3. I finally switched over to the internal USB plug on the MS3.

I have no idea what that BSOD, etc jargon is.
          blue screen of death. I haven't seen a blue screen in a million years. All of the ones I ever had were hardware issues.
          Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2013, 03:46 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Oh yeah, I learned that if I close the lid on my laptop then unplug the USB port while Tuner Studio is open that I'll get that, or if the computer screen goes to sleep while the lid is closed and TunerStudio is on with the USB plugged in. But if I close tuner studio or unplug the USB port before closing the lid then I won't get it. I've always plugged the adapter right into the MegaSquirt and ran a USB extension cord to the laptop.
            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 19, 2013, 03:56 PM.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by thesilverbuick View Post
              i've always had intermittent issues with my usb to serial adapters. A heck of a time with ms1 (sloooow) and not too much trouble with the ms2 and ms3. I finally switched over to the internal usb plug on the ms3.

I have no idea what that bsod, etc jargon is.
              bsod=windows "blue screen of death"

Comment

Originally posted by Admirall2 View Post
                general good serial port settings are 9600, 8 bits, no parity and 1 stop bit. This works good for usb-serial commnuications with Cisco Console ports.

Those settings have no effect, actually. You can set them to whatever you like and it won't affect the connected device which negotiates those settings on its own.

The buffer settings are what make the difference. The only problems I've had with any USB-Serial device are always on the Windows end, drivers not installing properly, etc.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

universal "serial" bus. I remember the invention..
                  it is windows if any problems. They float usb to share, original serial is fifo (first in first out, no collisions ever)

usb should be fixed on anything past 2001...but we know how that goes.

I'd check in system properties for resources matching your usb port and find an empty one.

intel usb likes to smash usb into onboard sound, or vid cards that have extras.(I have both)

a front port usb should be on its own..but ya never know.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 21, 2013, 10:32 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                  X