Fuel injection tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel injection tuning

Need some help. I have transplated a Chevy 1986 5.0 MPF (F) motor in a 1940 ford. The ecm has been changed to a 1990 and using a map sensor. The problem is the engine only make 14" of vacuum witch is creating havoc with the map sensor. I need to record the the engine data so i can have the prom re burned.

The problem is i cannot get the soft ware to work, I have Tuner Pro RT and TTS data master. I have two cables one from aldl.com and the other from moates.net.

Has any one out there worked with this soft were?

I am in th Milwaukee, WI area

This dam thing is driving me crazy !!

Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
    Drag Week 2011 DD
    Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
    Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Re: Fuel injection tuning

Well it looks like no one here works with OEM ecm's. Here's a link to the DIY prom section on ThirdGen.org-one of the biggest repositories of knowledge on OBD1 tuning-

DIY PROM - Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Read the stickies first!

Comment

I don't know jack about GM's, but a buddy of mine sure does.

Give Andrew a shout, maybe he can help you sort it out. --> www.akmcables.com

I built a ka-freakin' zillion ALDL converters for him many years ago.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Thanks

Whats the best bang for the buck for after market ?
        Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
        Drag Week 2011 DD
        Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
        Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Thats a loaded question - Kind of like saying do you prefer ford, chevy or mopar.

I would say megasquirt - It is not for everybody - You had better be the kind of person that likes to do everything themselves. You can buy other systems that are turn key type pieces, but you will pay for it.

I speak with a little experience with both types. The megasquirt based system has turned out to be more durable, cheaper, same features, but a little frustrating at time. One bonus of megasquirt is the size of the user base and the amount of people willing to help you with problems. My last system was one of the systems that has been around for a while. It died on my twice at the track. Once they fixed it under warranty, second time it became a 1500 doorstop (it didn't like a ground loop). Tech support was only available via one guy on the phone. Not to many people used it on my engine so people could give me guidence but not the specific type help I needed. My megasquirt based system has taken us longer to get right (we just found the final problem last weekend- My ride is a freakin cursed POS), but the $ outlay has been about 1/3-1/2 the price of the commercial pieces. The megasquirt community has identified more options for sensors than you can imagine, which is a bonus for someone on a budget. For instance I was having a problem with my crank position sensor. Instead of having to replace the sensor I was able to use my old distributer that had a hal sensor and was able to wire it up instead. Saved me a 100.00 right there and I didn't have to wait for parts to get it running. Coils - I had more choices than you would believe, OEM, MSD, Chevy LS-1, Mitsubishi 4G63 coils, Bike Coils, Aftermarket etc.... etc..... My last system could run others but they wouldn't help you unless you used their coils. No wiring instructions for aftermarket, no help over the phone.

BTW - I am just a hack - Let the smart guys chime in with their advice.

Comment

Which GM ecm are you using ?

Comment

Here is a question concerning efi and turbos. I want to build a turbo engine for my Impala but I want to retain a manual transmission. I own an '86 GN and one of the tricks to getting it to et good is being able to load the turbo against the converter so that boost is already there when you launch. Is it possible to "tune" an aftermarket efi system to be able to build boost with a manual trans so that boost is already there when you let out the clutch. Also do they have the ability to control alcohol injection systems?

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaSam

Here is a question concerning efi and turbos. I want to build a turbo engine for my Impala but I want to retain a manual transmission. I own an '86 GN and one of the tricks to getting it to et good is being able to load the turbo against the converter so that boost is already there when you launch. Is it possible to "tune" an aftermarket efi system to be able to build boost with a manual trans so that boost is already there when you let out the clutch. Also do they have the ability to control alcohol injection systems?
                Yes and yes.

On a manual trans car, most standalones have a "boost builder" option that lets you set up a sort of rev limiter for launching, when you have an unloaded engine at WOT it will indeed build boost. Most times, you need to combine this with a wastegate controller (AMS1000 is my favorite) that also keeps the boost from going past a launch target. You likely won't be able to hook with full boost/power, so you have to work to find the right amount of boost/rpm to launch at.

Most alky kits are "standalone" - most of them have progressive control based on boost (manifold pressure). however, many standalone EFI systems have the ability to "trigger" (on/off), and some of them h ave the ability to run PWM control so you have control over the quantity of alky injected versus load on the engine.

-scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Spooling on a manual transmission generally requires you to burn fuel in the headers and uppipe. I don't like it because of the metalurgical effects of the raised EGT. You also get into what to do with the boost when you shift since you have to let off the gas unless you are bang shifting. That means blow off valve otherwise you'll slow the turbo down with the pressure building against it in the now closed intake piping.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                  X