converting a poly fuel cell to an an in-tank pump for EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting a poly fuel cell to an an in-tank pump for EFI

OK, you guys can easily talk me out of this but it seems reasonable to me that i can pull this conversion off. I have a 15 gallon poly fuel cell (Jazz) with a rear sump and botom fittings that I have used with an in-line pump in the past. Now that I am converting to EFI and E-85 fuel, I have been looking at Walbro TIA485 pumps. I dont see why i cant plug the bottom fittings, cut a hole in the poly tank above the sump, use a "tanks" EFI assembly and Walbro pump, and make this work. I know...just using an EFI in-line pump or just get a different tank and pump would be easier. Just wonding if anyone has ever tried this type of conversion and/or if there is any reason why i cant do it? Opinions?

ed

There's no reason you couldn't do it, it's just a matter of why you would bother? There are plenty of people, including a couple of guys on the forum here who are running external pumps on a sump (hot damn, I'm a poet and don't even know it) and doing quite well with them.

Comment

I'd pull the filler off (unbolt it) then remove the fitting at the bottom, then get a bulkhead fitting made for fuel tanks. install that where the old fitting was. and hook the pump to the inside half of the fitting , run the wires out the same grommet as the fuel gauge wire.. might have to drill the hole larger and use the pumps grommet..
      no need to cut a hole in the cell..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
        I'd pull the filler off (unbolt it) then remove the fitting at the bottom, then get a bulkhead fitting made for fuel tanks. install that where the old fitting was. and hook the pump to the inside half of the fitting , run the wires out the same grommet as the fuel gauge wire.. might have to drill the hole larger and use the pumps grommet..
        no need to cut a hole in the cell..
        I like that idea. Two issues though: 1. without a standard in-tank assembly rod, wont the pump move around? Seems like even if I connect the pump to a bulkhead fitting that it would move around too much. 2. Walbro said I need to have the wiring "sealed" to prevent corrosion due to the E85. How do you seal the wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by ecorl View Post
          I like that idea. Two issues though: 1. without a standard in-tank assembly rod, wont the pump move around? Seems like even if I connect the pump to a bulkhead fitting that it would move around too much. 2. Walbro said I need to have the wiring "sealed" to prevent corrosion due to the E85. How do you seal the wiring?
          use steel line from the bulkhead connector,to the pump, they make fittings for a/n on steel line, the pumps not going anywhere
          the sealing the wiring, go to your local parts store and ask to look at a fuel pump for a "flex fuel" vehicle that give you an idea of what is needed if anything..
          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 21, 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
            There's no reason you couldn't do it, it's just a matter of why you would bother? There are plenty of people, including a couple of guys on the forum here who are running external pumps on a sump (hot damn, I'm a poet and don't even know it) and doing quite well with them.
            I agree here. Look at using an 044 Bosch in line pump instead of the troubles of in tank pumps. This is the direction I am heading.
            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
              I agree here. Look at using an 044 Bosch in line pump instead of the troubles of in tank pumps. This is the direction I am heading.
              Yea but is the Bosch 044 OK to use with E85? I will not be exceeding 600 HP at 20 pounds of boost. The internet is full of mixed reviews on the E85 compatibility issue and dont know what to believe? Is there anybody currently using one of these pumps with E85?

Comment

From Bosch:

Installation Notes

With E26/E85 or Diesel fuel run-time max. 500 h

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                X