Adding sensors to EMS Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding sensors to EMS Pro

Anybody know how to add an additional MAP sensor to an EMS Pro (megasquirt)? I'd like to data log the crank case pressure or lack thereof. While I'm at it a drive shaft speed sensor would be cool and maybe a fuel pressure tap from the electric gauge to check fuel pressure down track.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Re: Adding sensors to EMS Pro

Dieselgeek - Scott - should see this soon - He worked for them and can answer for you.

Comment

The Megasquirt is a bit more straightforward to add extra sensors to than the eMS-Pro but it is still a bit convoluted. With the eMS-Pro, you'd need some careful soldering on a surface mount board to access the inputs. There are two "spare" analog processor inputs on a standard MS-I - on the eMS-Pro, one of them was not connected and the other one was used for barometric pressure input. I can't remember if the baro sensor has a hose fitting; if it does, you can use it as an extra pressure sensor by disabling baro correction, running a hose to whatever it is you want to log pressure from, and making a few changes to MegaTune's INI files.

VSS input is even more complicated and was experimental at best. It's definitely a "break out the soldering iron" job. If you're interested, I can list what info I have on the subject.

Comment

Matt - the baro sensor on the eMS-pro does NOT have a nipple. It would take some custom work. However, all the processor pins have access ports that could be attached.

I am thinking he should use the processor pin that was set up for 0-5v logging, fuel pressure usually? I can figure out from the schematics which port that is, and make the relatively easy mod for him. Perhaps send him a modded unit, have him trade me his old one back or something like that. It's really pretty simple to do...

which pin/port can do the 0-5v logging?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That would be pin 29 - AD7. It's the one used for EGT logging in MS1/Extra.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a better idea to build or buy a stand alone datalogging box so you could add all the channels you please?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
              That would be pin 29 - AD7. It's the one used for EGT logging in MS1/Extra.
              that pin has nothing going on in an eMS-pro. and it has a "pad" that's easy to attach to.

CTX, realize that we in the megasquirt crowd have no problems opening up a box and modifying it for upgrades... the eMS-pro has all kinds of things built into it so someone can ad all kinds of stuff to it.

Although, someone in the MS crowd SHOULD design a do-it-yourself datalogger, that not only has logging channels but takes the serial output from a regular megasquirt and logs that as well, so you don't need a laptop in the car... hmmm....
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I realize that but you are channel limited, I mean I have about 5 places I want to put MAP sensor as well as about 5 place for oil pressure sensors. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to build a black box to dump raw 0-5V signals into with tags and then interpret it later if you knew what cal table to use on what tag stream.
                I'd buy a MS style data logger with about 16 channels of user configurable voltage inputs. The serial link to the MS box wouldn't be as useful to me since I've got an OBDII computer though if you could put that functionality into it aswell I and lots of others would love it. I know there are a lot of people with Gen III/IV engines tuned with HPTuners that want to watch more than the roughly 3-4 channels of data that you can fool the computer into reading. The big trick is to disable a functionality like say the EGR valve then feed a 0-5V into it and log that but there are only so many channels you can do that to.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

hmmm. while were on the subject of not having to use a laptop for data recording. "are you going to strap that down" sez tech guy. "Ummm yeah, sure" I say and I put a t-shirt over the in-car projectile.

But how about an interface to a USB thumb drive with a data log start stop button on it? Maybe an exsiting data log unit of some sort ported to MS? Not that MS.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Or use a small PDA - Palm Pilot is what scott was working with.

Comment

There's a couple of purpose built data logging tools out there that may be like what CTX was talking about, although a bit pricier than a Megasquirt. We just had a shipment of Innovate LM-2s arrive - they can record several of their own sensors and a bunch of information from an OBD-II port, and save it to an SD card.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                        There's a couple of purpose built data logging tools out there that may be like what CTX was talking about, although a bit pricier than a Megasquirt. We just had a shipment of Innovate LM-2s arrive - they can record several of their own sensors and a bunch of information from an OBD-II port, and save it to an SD card.
                        I just got one of these aswell and it is a big improvement over the lm-1

Comment

So you don't need that XD-16 anymore for running multiple devices? I might put that on the list after I get the system working with an LC-1 sealed cable units.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The XD-16's just a gauge. You'd either need a laptop or one of the gadgets with an internal logger (DL-32 or LM-2) to log the data. If you already have the laptop, you could just take one of their basic sensor interface things like a LMA-3 or a SSI-4 and wire it up; that would be pretty cheap.

Comment

Found the combo I was thinking of, well with not enough channels but it'll work at the start
                              LC-1+ kit with a OT-1 serially linked to the SSI-4

I'd eventually like to either build my own or get the DL-32 chained with the OT-1 and go hog wild with the sensors. I am too much of a research scientist not to want to instramentize everything.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X