Which Dyno for tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Dyno for tuning?

We just finished our EFI installation and have the car running. It's still up on jack stands and we've been tuning with no load. I should say that the car is turbocharged. Now we're getting ready to go to a dyno for loaded tuning. Which dyno (s) should we look for? I understand that we need one that can hold the engine at a specific rpm in order to test the various load points so an inertial dyno isn't the right choice. Which brands will hold it at a load?

Thanks

Bob

Re: Which Dyno for tuning?

Mustang is my first choice, next is any other dyno that can do "steady state" with an eddy current or DC motor. I.e., you can hold it at a given RPM, and vary manifold pressure with the throttle. This will let you map every single operating point's fuel and timing, and the car will run quickest, and most efficiently when you tune it this way. Superflow dynamometers are other common brands out there that let you "steady state" tune. The rest, you just have to ask if they have that feature or not.

-scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott, what's your opinion/experience on the Superflow AutoDyn? It can do loaded or inertia, and it seems the inertia numbers are more conservative than Dynojet. But I have very little chassis-dyno experience, so I dunno.

Comment

the mustang dyno is a great dyno.

we use a superflow here at work and it is quite a bit easier to use you get the same results as if you were using a mustang but 1 person can run a superflow i have had no issues whatsoever.

the superflow is every bit conservative as the mustang believe me.

Comment

Even in inertia mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
            Scott, what's your opinion/experience on the Superflow AutoDyn? It can do loaded or inertia, and it seems the inertia numbers are more conservative than Dynojet. But I have very little chassis-dyno experience, so I dunno.
            I really like the superflow chassis dyno. The Autodyn is the one they have at Westech, right? same as the one at Edelbrock, those are streamlined for operator ease of use *especially* for mapping fuel and spark tables; the Mustang dyno was built more for OEMs, has a computer controlled throttle and a programmable simulation mode so you can do a little more with it, but in the end I think the Superflow setups are the best for EFI tuning like we do.

Honestly, all I care about is that a chassis dyno can do "steady state" - I don't care much about the power numbers they put out. To optimize tuning for the quarter mile, it really helps to do the final small tweaks to timing and AFR at the track though.

But ask Chad about "parking lot" tuning. haha - to really dial in EFI, street and a little track tuning are a must IMO.

-scott
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the superfolw can do simulations as well.

there is not much difference between the mustang and the superflow.

as this is not a debate, like scott said any dyno that does steady state is good to use.

if your looking for bragging rights do your steady state tunning and then go to your local dynojet dyno and run it there and you will have your bragging rights because they usually read about 20 percent higher anyways.

Comment

I don't really care about bragging rights, it's a Nasa American Iron roadracing car. I'm limited in the amount of hp/tq I'm allowed, based on the weight of the car. I'm more interested in throttle response. We have access to a private airstrip, and now with the data logging working we'll run over there and play for a couple of days.

Any opinions on the dyna pak?

Comment

never used a dyna pack myself, the ones that attach directly to the wheel hubs... but, as long as you can steady state tune it, then you're set.

Definitley for a roadracing car, steady state tune, THEN adjust your TPS-based enrichments for proper on-off-on throttle behavior. Steady state is a must for cars that need to operate smoothly at a variety of throttle openings.

Comment

Thanks DG. At this time the only map we've tried to play with (other than the main fuel map) is the primer enrichment. We're using E85 (well sort of, 15% 100 octane/85% ethanol, not your typical out of the pump blend) so getting it to start up cold has been a bit of trial and error. Purrs like a kitten once its running. And I love that burnt rum exhaust smell, first time I've had to chase guys away from the exhaust pipe!!

I got a buddy that has a Mustang dyno, this should get easy.

Thanks guys.

Bob

Comment

I have used a Dyna Pack. I don't think they will do steady state, or loaded numbers.

Comment

I have used one, and yes, they'll do steady state as well as ramp runs. It's what we do our own project car tuning on and we're quite happy with it - except it's a fairly small model and we have sometimes put cars on it that went over its limit. Dynapack has some very good dynos in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                          X