No announcement yet.

Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been able to get it to work in sequential even though I "think" I have the cam input on the jimstim done correctly. More forum searching tonight.
    Last edited by BlueCuda340; March 31, 2014, 11:01 AM.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I got the sequential thing figured out, wasn't using my head when it came to setting up tuner studio for the two wheels(cam and crank). That works, I have been playing with outputs to see how I will run my electric water pump and fans and that all works. My current drag week plan is showing up in Tulsa(i live there anyways) to sign up if I happen to miss the registration whenever it opens. Now, if I miss the initial registration I might just say F it and use my drag week money to buy the stuff I need to finish this EFI project. The Megasquirt part is ready, the car part just needs to be done now.

Comment

Were did u find help with jumper for ur stims this is my first ms set up it has some functions tps coolant and some other but no rpm its a 3x configured same as urs any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lsika View Post
          Were did u find help with jumper for ur stims this is my first ms set up it has some functions tps coolant and some other but no rpm its a 3x configured same as urs any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
          If you're using a JimStim, the jumper settings are here:

Comment

I haven't updated this in way to long. I'm behind like I thought I would be but getting closer. On drag week my last msd part left me on the side of the road and I had to resort to a junky spare to finish the week. I have done three drag weeks and been stuck on the side of the road twice, both msd problems, both times I have had the needed help or the needed part and been able to get back on the road.

I got the intake, tb, and injectors and I lack fuel system. It's looking like I'm going to use the ms to control my ignition to start out since I am out of good msd boxes and it would be silly to buy new when I am this far in. Holding off on the fuel control for a few reasons. I'm out of money lol and the afore mentioned baby is now 16 months old and he chews up some time, I can't wait until he can help. My dad has also been bitten by the drag week bug and we are putting together a bigger motor for drag week this year in my car. I will likely be carbed with coil on plug ignition until after drag week. I will then put this 360 back in and learn the fuel control part on this cheap motor without fear of tearing something up on the bigger motor with actual good pieces in it.

I have the ms unit mounted in the car under the seat, and I have the harnesses run Into the engine bay. I have my coils mounted on the valve covers and the pieces for my jeep cam sensor as well. Last night I did some test fitting with my 36-1 wheel, I have it sandwiched between my pulley and balancer, it works good and shimming the alternator out that thickness is easy as it's my only belt driven accessory. I borrowed an msd crank trigger mount from my dad and it works surprisingly well and lines up quite good. I have a question into DIY about a vr sensor that will work with the msd mount as that takes a lot of work out of the crank sensor area if I can find something for that.

Comment

Update, I am hoping to fire it up this weekend. I am still going ignition only right now but I have wired up everything else so I can have data logging capabilities. I added a fuel pressure, oil pressure sensor, and even a TPS for the carb. This weekend I was able to test fire all of the coils, trigger my fans on, and basically test everything I could test up to this point.

At Dieselgeeks recommendation I changed from a VR sensor to a Cherry Hall Effect and I need to add a resistor to the board for that change, this sensor will also be easier to mount into my MSD mount. This week/weekend I need to finish my crank sensor mount, wire my cam sensor, and wire in my hall effect sensor for the crank which scares me because the wires are so tiny but it won't be a big deal. I will add some pics this weekend once I get a few things lined out. Fingers crossed for noise this weekend!

I also need to get a serial to USB connection so I can get my LC2 working, any recommendations?
              Last edited by BlueCuda340; May 27, 2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I'm using the Cherry sensor on my Skylark and Firebird. Neither has given me any issue. The Skylark has had one on there since 2011!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  I'm using the Cherry sensor on my Skylark and Firebird. Neither has given me any issue. The Skylark has had one on there since 2011!

Thats good news, although I will probably pickup a spare for drag week just in case, I also need to grab a spare jeep cam sensor.

Comment

At ~$25 each, they are cheap spares. I think I have four of them, two on the shelf. I'm considering using one up as a vehicle speed sensor in the Firebird.

If your wiring is correct, I wouldn't worry too much about carrying a spare cam sensor if they are readily available. If the cam sensor fails it just defaults into semi-sequential/wasted spark mode and won't leave you on the side of the road. It runs essentially the same. I drove the Firebird for another couple months after the junkyard cam sensor I put in it failed and it didn't have any real noticeable effects on how it ran. Though when the Skylark's cam sensor didn't sync-up, it tended to run a bit on the rich side, not terribly so, but just a bit richer, it was noticeable on the AFR gauge. Of course if the sensor is small and cheap, then why not.

Comment

I got it fired up today, thanks to TheSilverBuick for some help on some initial settings I wasn't understanding. It fired right up and ran great. I have a cam fault I need to sort out but I am out of time today. I will post some pics of my mess later this week. It was a good feeling that all this wiring and soldering etc has paid off and it runs. My schedule gets pretty nuts for the next two weeks but I can hopefully get some stuff wrapped up and drive it. Then its time to put together the Drag Week motor with my Dad.

Comment

I got some run time on it this weekend. Didn't drive it any as I still have some things to button up but I got it all warmed up and blipped it to 6500rpm a few times, everything is great for the most part. The fans and water pump come on and off just as they should and all the gauges are reporting accurately, I was also able to run my fans and water pump with the key on and engine off just like I wanted. This will be nice in the pits as I can shut it down and leave it sit with the key on and not have to worry about the fans running anymore.

Sometimes it tries to sneeze out the intake right when I start to crank it so I need to figure that out, its not every time but its often enough to be annoying. But for the most part I need to finish a few things and take it for a drive.

100 Days till drag week and I can call the new ignition a success I think. Now Dad and I are just waiting on the call from the machine shop saying they are ready to ship all the machined parts to us so we can put it together.

Comment

Check your cranking rpm setting, make sure its not set too low, as well as look at your ignition timing table at the fields below 1,000rpm and at high kPa, and pull some timing out of it, or at least cap it around 15º.

Also, how are your coils powered? Are their main +12v feed tied to the fuel pump relay? If not, if you are running certain coils they have "auto-protect" mode that will cause them to fire if the key is on for a second or so, and that could light off the injector's priming pulse. Plus you'll want it wired that way (if it isn't already) if you are leaving the key on to run the waterpump and fans.

Comment

No the coils are not wired that way its wired to my key on power. Since its still a carburated engine I am not running the fuel pump through the MS but I will hookup the fuel pump wire and power the coils with that relay. My timing table is stupid, I made it just like it was before the MS 35* all the time. I need to research and see what kind of table I need to build to get a good idea where to start. I do know that 35* all the time works well but with a capable system it is far from ideal. I have not had anything that needed vacuum in so long I didn't have any line to hook up the MAP sensor, that will happen before I fire it up again and I can see where my KPA is(won't be much).

Comment

Ooh, you definitely don't want the coils powered directly with the key on, that can cook them during extended periods of engine off, key on if they are not the self protecting kind, which most aren't but some OE GM ones are.

I'll send you a snapshot of mine when I get home. You could probably plop it right into yours and it would run fine, but then just tune it from there.

I'm no expert tuner, but I just put the top two rows from about 3,000rpm up at the timing I want, 32º in my case, then I find where I cruise at and put about four cells at 45º (my car is good with a lot of timing and light throttle cruising), then the 1,000rpm and less cells around 15º with the higher kPa cells down as low as 5º, then use the interpolate tool to smooth between those areas, and tweak from there.
                              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 9, 2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

That would be cool Randal, you can send it to Clamb 12 at gmail or fb message it to me.

Here is a few pics of the install. The wiring is rough looking but will clean up easy. I wish I could have centered the coils but the vc breathers were in the way. I think this will be a "rough draft" harness as I had to kind of guess where some stuff will be on the other motor. I have mad respect for people that can do this and make pretty harnesses LOL.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	1038319

Comment

Working...
                                X