No announcement yet.

Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a pic of the real mess on top. I will post some more pics after I un f it some.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

The car made its first drive today since December. It ran good, I have a very basic timing table built that it seems to really like. I added a good amount of timing at idle and it seems to run cooler and idle smoother. I haven;t hooked my tach up yet but my logs show I saw 6400RPM with zero hiccups or anything. It was a little odd driving it and not having to mess with the fans or water pump switches, the ECU handled all that just fine. I still have a cam fault so I must dive into that more to my sequential working. But overall a successful trip.

The drag week motor is now on the engine stand ready to start clean up and assembly.

Comment

ShadyDell do the motor?

Comment

Yes he did some work on the W2 heads, balanced it, and did the machine work on the block.

Comment

Got the sequential working with the Help of Matt@DIY. It runs a little cleaner that way and really idles and drives around town great. I haven't put a ton of miles on it yet maybe 40-50 but all seems well. It really seems odd not having to mess with the fan switches etc the MS does it all for me.

The crank is in the new motor, pistons on the rods, rings, etc all ready to go so hopefully next weekend we will have a rotating assembly. I know my Dad is talking to Comp today about the cam and the heads are getting a few things done to them at the machine shop. Tick Tick Tick Tick

Comment

Aha, found the thread. Disregard my pm. Sucks to see the news about the new crank walk but cool to see the progress you made getting the MS going
              Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Ok an update, the new motor went in and then out after a thrust bearing failure at 38 miles on the clock. I stuck the 360 back in for Drag Week #4.

Drag week went great, other than a couple of data log issues(easily resolved) my ignition only MS3X was awesome. The last two years on drag week I have had MSD failures, a coil one year and a box meltdown the next resulting in me swapping to my spare which was also bad but good enough to run. This year everything went really well, I ran my fastest average on drag week and didn't have much trouble beyond a few rocker arm adjusters.

I had TONS of question about the coil on plug ignition mated with the carburetor. I don't know if I would have had so many if it was fuel injected or not. Lots of double takes and lots of questions. I even had a guy who pulled me aside to tell me he loved my car even though it had a chevy motor in it, he seemed relieved when I told him it just had GM coils and was still a small block mopar.

Thanks to Scott(Dieselgeek) and Matt Cramer at DIY, and Randal(TSB) they all helped me get this thing going and it worked perfect. Now onto fuel control.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	1059987

Comment

Remember I said this was a LONG and SLOW EFI conversion, well its moving forward again. I have a goal for the end of this month to start it on EFI but I still have some fuel tank stuff to sort out that may delay me.

I got the injectors wired today, I hate wiring but this is my best work so far as I am getting good at it. I used a 10 position delphi connector to make it easy to unplug, I also made sure it fit both manifolds before I heat shrinked it(almost forgot to test both). The intake is port matched and wired now. I need to swap it onto the car and then plumb the fuel stuff and wire a connector for the IAC motor and injector harness.
                  Last edited by BlueCuda340; January 3, 2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

According to my measurements it should fit under the hood with a drop base air filter. It looks WAY tall like this. This is a Super Victor vs the regular Victor manifold that is on the car now.

Last edited by BlueCuda340; January 6, 2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Its supposed to snow today so the 830CFM holley that has served me so well(14.8MPG best on drag week) may not get its last ride. A little nervous about losing the carb because it works, it starts cold(no idle but always busts right off) and it has been dead reliable. I learned all I needed to know about carbs when I bought some drill bits and brass set screws to make this carb work good. It was a pain in the butt but I got it working pretty good.

I look forward to doing those same tweaks to the fuel curve with a keyboard vs some tiny drill bits that look like mechanical pencil lead.

I have an aeromotive sump on the way for the fuel tank and a few more pieces of fuel system to buy. I'm going to relocate some things in my wiring harness and permanently fix my grounds that I had to move. I might also add a real time clock module to my ECU for better data logs.

Comment

Thats a cool pic! Hope it fits.

Comment

That's a cool pic. I hope it fits.

Comment

Two clearance hurdles are taken care of. The drop base air cleaner clears the hood(its tight) AND it clears the fuel rails so win win there. I need to get the intake milled the thickness of the gasket so it will fit right, then I can bolt it on.

The learning wiring harness on the car now will get a little bit of an update to clean it up and make it more unplugable than it is now.

Comment

I haven't made near as much progress as I wanted to just yet but it is coming along. Going tomorrow to weld in a baffled sump a friend made for me, it should be fun with this beat up old gas tank lol. I am waiting on a few fittings so I can finish up my dual GSL392 Walboro pump setup. Being cheap and wanting quality parts made it difficult to find a good Y merge. None of them reference the angles they are built on and some of them are just stupid expensive. I don't think I will ever need dual pumps from a power standpoint but it would be nice to have a functional spare riding along at all times that could be turned on with a few key strokes. Plus if I ever decide to hang a turbo on this thing I will have enough pump already.

The wiring is coming along, I ended up pulling the whole megasquirt harness out and redoing a few things i didn't like. I added some buss blocks for my sensor grounds and 5v power, it was just easier for me to run the wires cleanly and make it expandable that way, its still ugly but it is serviceable lol.

Comment

The gas tank project went south, it had been coated by a rubber like stuff inside at some point. That stuff was starting to peel and it immediatly catches fire when you weld anywhere near it. So I dumpstered the old tank and I am ordering a new one to cut up and weld on.

Comment

Working...
                                X