No announcement yet.

Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be too late, but you could probably save the tank with a box of drywall screws and a home-brewed method of tumbling for a couple of hours.

I've even done motorcycle tanks taped up in sleeping bags tossed in the clothes dryer on "fluff" setting for an hour.

Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZvjdQT3ks

Last edited by STINEY; February 11, 2016, 12:40 PM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thats not a bad idea but for $150 a brand new tank isn't a bad deal. That other tank was beat up real bad and coated. With a fresh steel tank I won't have to worry if I decide to run some E85
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I made some progress tonight on the wiring. I also was able to successfully run a test on all the injectors and they all work. Those things make a good bit of noise on an 8000RPM(simulated) test lol. My TPS reads backwards so I need to figure that out but the list is getting shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
          My TPS reads backwards so I need to figure that out but the list is getting shorter.
          Usually, that means that the VREF and ground are swapped.

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured, thanks Matt.

Comment

I fixed the TPS wiring and that took care of the backwards problem. I haven't had the chance to do much, new fuel tank is here and will get sumped on Wednesday.

This is my fuel pump assembly, it will mount right behind the tank. Its overkill but I can stage them with the megasquirt and in the event of a failure easily switch to the other pump. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2724.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1088136

Comment

I assume the pumps have some sort of check valve to prevent back flow?
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I have mine set up the same with no extra check valves. I'm using NAPA brand OEM Ford pumps though. Worse case, Aeromotive does sell some threaded check valves.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

supposed to lol. This seems to be a pretty popular setup. The Dirty Dart from drag week was running four of these pumps.

With the cost of fittings Included I spent about as much as I would have on the lower end dual Holley pump. However with this one I have more flexibility in the event of a failure since I can remove the pumps and they are roughly $115 each.

Comment

• We got the sump welded in the new tank tonight. I didn't take a pic of the sump out of the tank but there is more to it than what you see. Its a box that fits up in the tank and has some 3/8" holes to fill from. We got the idea from looking at the aeromotive EFI sump that was way to big for my tank. I drilled more fill hoes in this one than aeromotive recomended because I chose not to run the return into it like they do. I am returning into the tank area as opposed to the sump area in hopes that it will do a little bit to help keep the fuel cooler as it recircu lates through the rails.

Here is a pic of the fitting process.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1088377
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Still coming along, I got the fuel pumps mounted and wired and test fired with the MS3. I am setting it up to have the second pump come on at 4500RPM over %75 throttle. Way to much pump for my 360 and the stroker motor might need a little more than one but I am covered either way.

The intake is at the machine shop getting milled so it will fit well, 98% of the wiring is done, and about 50% of the fuel lines are run. I hope to make noise this weekend or next.

Comment

• I run pretty mild gears with the over drive, so have my second pump come on at 3,000rpm or 75% throttle and off at below 2,000rpm. Basically so if I'm holding a gear for some reason or another, even at light throttle, it's ready for it to hit the floor. Once it's on though (such as pulling out onto the highway...) I usually do have to clutch in to get the rpm's down enough to kick it off.

Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Comment

• If I get into the throttle hard at all it will go over 4500RPM on the converter, and i go down the highway at 3500 so that's what I came up with.

Comment

• Getting there, I lack one fitting and the fuel system will be complete up to the regulator.

Edelbrock made it almost impossible to get valve covers on with the Victor EFI manifold I have. The injector Bosses are really meaty which seems like a good thing, but they put them so close to the edge of the manifold my valve covers didn't even come close to fitting. I put a few hours of grinding on the covers and manifold and I believe I am good to go.

I think my short list to fire up is

Fuel lines from regulator to rails
                              New Power wire for crank sensor
                              Hook up grounds for coils
                              Make new wiring for alternator
                              Start lining things up in Tuner studio to start this thing with EFI.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	734.0 KB
ID:	1092747Those wires look horrible in the photo lol They don't seem so messy in person. There is a 4 position weather pack connector to unplug the pumps. I can pull the pumps and filters out with two bolts, three lines, and one weather pack.

Comment

• Hotrodding, because expecting intakes and valve covers to fit out of the box is unrealistic

And the wires look fine!

Comment

Working...
                                X