No announcement yet.

Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get you have to modify things lol, its just the fact that someone just drew EFI bosses onto the current intake and did zero research. Edelbrock heads with Edelbrock EFI intake and my valve covers don't fit. I would have been less surprised if the actual intake didn't fit lol.

I already checked the EFI manifold for the stroker motor and the EFI bosses are set back about 1/2", so I am sure the valve covers will work and something else will not .
    Last edited by BlueCuda340; March 21, 2016, 11:16 AM.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• I got some more stuff done, fuel lines are made, tank is in, rails and throttle body mounted. I have a pretty busy weekend so I am not sure how much I will get done. I don't think I will be able to fire it this weekend but next weekend looks promising.

I think that last of the wiring is the fuel pressure sensor and the sensor grounds for my coils. I started combing through tuner studio and making adjustments that I think are needed to make this thing run.

Comment

• Progress pic I tried to post with my last reply. I have no idea why it uploaded sideways.

I have to give some props to Lokar. The fuel rails interfere %150 with how the stock throttle bracketry works so I had to do something else. I got a Lokar universal cable to try out. Worked like a charm, 20 minute install and this universal item fit like it was designed for my application.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1094172
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BlueCuda340; March 27, 2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• It Runs! Started right up, having some issues with the closed loop idle I am researching but overall good startup. It was nice to hear it make noise again.

Comment

• I put about 80 miles on it this weekend, it is driving really good. The VEAL(autotune) does a good job at pointing things the right direction and it didn't take long for it to be driving down the road smooth and clean. I was even able to make some pretty good wide open throttle pulls. I still need to address the closed loop idle, and I need to work on the acceleratotor pump enrichment settings. I had it on the highway, stop n go traffic, and lots of two lane 40-50mph roads with no issues. I have a fuel leak where my sending unit goes for some reason so I need to pull the tank and fix that, then I hope to get some track time.

Comment

• I have probably 150 miles on it and some good wide open hits. It runs great, I have the accel enrichment much better if not a little to much and the closed loop idle is getting better with some adjustments. It either rains or I have plans pop up that keep me from going to the track.

Comment

• Cool, and it only took you two years! I'll be doing something like this with one of my 455s as I collect the parts. I'll reference this thread when I do that.

Comment

• Haha like I said LONG and SLOW build. My actual goal was a year but my son is now 2 1/2 and well he takes up time and is lots of fun. I already enjoy the EFI and I haven't done much with it, its so hard not to give the throttle a pump on cold starts. I fired it up and backed it out of the garage today and never touched the throttle pedal, that would have been a two foot job with the carb.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                    , its so hard not to give the throttle a pump on cold starts. I fired it up and backed it out of the garage today and never touched the throttle pedal, that would have been a two foot job with the carb.
                    Ain't it cool??
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Yeah I started it the other day just for that reason, reached in the window, turned the key on, and pushed the button. I am hoping the IAC bypass isn't as loud once I get off my butt and put an air cleaner on it.

Comment

• IMO, the IAC valve on my Skylark is way undersized for the big block, but you can typically find a happy medium. IAC tuning time! Get the car nice and warmed up. Then command the IAC valve to sit at like 50 steps (and turn off closed loop rpm targeting if you have it on), then adjust your throttle blades to bring the idle back up to where you want it to idle at. This should create the largest opening you can use with your throttle blades, which then should allow both less IAC usage and less noise from less air needing to be pulled through it. Then of course turn all your closed loop idling setting back on.

Comment

• When mine is warmed up it doesn't need many steps at all even with the blades closed down tight. I am hoping the air cleaner muffles it lol because it is finally going into closed loop idle and working well.

Comment

• I am making this up as I go: can you port and polish I the iac to in crease flow and maybe cut down on sound?
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Increasing flow will just make the engine idle higher.

Sure you have all the vacuum ports on the intake and throttle body plugged off? With the blades closed tight and the IAC closed off it should stall the engine.

Also remember, if you adjust the throttle stop on the throttle body to re-calibrate your TPS.

Comment

• I have checked the throttle body and intake area for vacuum leaks and haven't found anything. I do need to racal my TPS I didn't think of that. The idle is getting better everytime I mess with it but it still makes me laugh that has been whats fighting me the most. I was all worried about getting this thing to drive down the road OK, that was easy lol.

Weather looks great this weekend so I hope to see how this works out at the track. I am hoping it picks up a little from the carb just because I have 1000CFM of air inlet now and I went to a taller/bigger intake manifold. It feels really strong but that has brought me disappointment before lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X