Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long slow MS3X build starting soon

I got with the guys over at DIYautotune and started lining up what I need to start an efi conversion on my Barracuda.

I ordered a stim board to assemble to make sure I am capable or if I need to save up more money and buy assembled pieces LOL. After I get that put together I will start buying more stuff.

It will take awhile since I am planning on doing drag week this year again so that chews up some money. I hope to have it going late 2014 or 2015..so long SLOW build up but I think it will be worth it.

Any pointers or things to avoid?

Its going on my 68 Barracuda with a 360, currently has run a best of [email protected]. The carb is good it performs well and gets pretty good MPG(13) I am just tired of using drill bits you can't see with the naked eye to do my tuning.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

My son ordered an unassembled MSII for his LS swapped mustang, I told him we were gonna order a stim board to build first too!!!

Im terrified of frying the board with my lack of soldering skills... and patience.
    Charles

Comment

nice, and please. list an itemized price list.. as I'm on the fence.. with the msIII cost and the holley mpefi kit..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
        nice, and please. list an itemized price list.. as I'm on the fence.. with the msIII cost and the holley mpefi kit..
        The total the guy gave me if I were to order it all at once was about $750 that is all un assembled parts and wires to the engine compartment. From there its injectors, sensors, trigger wheel, etc. I might have left something out, I started this yesterday about 2:30 PM.

I think the holley terminator EFI gives you the ECU for $1800 and then you gotta buy everything else.
        Last edited by BlueCuda340; January 9, 2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
          The total the guy gave me if I were to order it all at once was about $750 that is all un assembled parts and wires to the engine compartment. From there its injectors, sensors, trigger wheel, etc. I might have left something out, I started this yesterday about 2:30 PM.

I think the holley terminator EFI gives you the ECU for $1800 and then you gotta buy everything else.
          holley is everything but the fuel pump and injectors for kit without intake for 1800 the full one with intake is 2700.. it seems to me.. as I was adding up the MSIII and all the other stuff, rails, bungs,senders, throttle body, wiring/etc it was as much or more.. and why I asked if you'd be so kind as to list cost.. and if the part was new or a junkyard part.. now if they'd just make a MS IV with tranny controller built in.. it be the cats @$$
          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; January 9, 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Are you talking the terminator or the dominator system?

Comment

Are you talking the terminator or the dominator system?

Comment

The MS3 probably isn't cheaper but can do many more things. Not sure about your scenario but the kit you mentioned as well as any of the "EZ" kits likely will not work for my engine.

Comment

it seems that there is nothing megasquirt can't do, I look forward to following along - building a set up like this is on my bucket list.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    it seems that there is nothing megasquirt can't do, I look forward to following along - building a set up like this is on my bucket list.
                    It is going to be a long slow ride but I will post up everything I can.

Comment

The MS3 probably isn't cheaper but can do many more things. Not sure about your scenario but the kit you mentioned as well as any of the "EZ" kits likely will not work for my engine.
                      the ez kits are tbi, this is mpefi.. with ign..
                      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; January 10, 2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                        the ez kits are tbi, this is mpefi.. with ign..
                        Actually, both EZ 1.0 and EZ 2.0 can be set-up as MPI bank to bank. Limitations are at idle. Must have more than 10" of vacuum (low levels of raw fuel) to get em to idle out clean. The new Sportsman set-up is bank to bank but will work with the low idle vacuum (like XFI) and is about 1600.00 with harness and fuel pump pressure control. reqs laptop tuning. Back to the thread...
                        BKB
                        www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                        Bruce K Bridges

Comment

One tip I've got is that unless it's a purpose built autocross machine, surge tanks are more trouble than they're worth. My Dart used one and the plumbing was excessively complicated and expensive. On my Chevy C10, I just stuck an in-tank fuel pump on the end of the stock sending unit instead.

Comment

DIYAutotune has job openings, which I'm obviously not qualified for when I ask this question... what are the compelling reasons to go with a MS3 v. MS2?

just curious. The USB / SD card stuff is intriguing but not enough for me to pony up the bucks for a first attempt, and fuel only at that (edit - for my deal... I see you are going full on crank trigger and all! )
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 15, 2014, 07:12 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I figured if I am going to do it I might as well do the whole thing. It likely will be fuel only at first then move to full sequential. I saw a big block mopar MS3X build where a guy used a jeep cam sensor(which looks like a cut off dizzy on a 4.0) and built a bushing to use it on a big block mopar. I want to do the same with a small block(same style pump drive, should work fine) so that part might take some work and because of that I might go fuel only for a bit. In the end it will look way better than having a whole distributor back there that is doing nothing but playing the role of cam sensor. Just crossing my fingers it will work on a small block.

If I wasn't dead set on doing DW14 I would move it along faster. But I don't have the coin or time to do both. At least it runs and drives at the time lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X