Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    It has been a few more years so I thought I would update. All is well, no trouble from the Megasquirt. I had an old Tunnel Ram Converted to EFI and have added that to the car, it has ran a best of [email protected] now. Still haven't thought about a carb. Signed up for Drag Week #6 with this car and #2 for the EFI and engine combo. Making some changes and would like it to run 10.7s or so in the heat we will see.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Sounds good!

My biggest problem with the EFI is I tend to over think stuff and make it harder than it really is. Its actually incredibly easy,
    I think that is pretty common when people look at EFI.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    A little update and probably the last entry needed in this 2.5 year old thread. I got the new 416 installed and fired up this weekend. I was a little worried about firing it up with no 02 sensor because it needed to go the muffler shop due to a header change. I was just overthinking things, it started and ran on the 360's tune just fine. I just made the needed changes for the larger CID and the 4-7 firing order swap(switch two coil and injector wires) and it lit right off.

My biggest problem with the EFI is I tend to over think stuff and make it harder than it really is. Its actually incredibly easy, I have been more than pleased with it and I saved a boatload of cash by going with the Megasquirt stuff from DIYAutotune.com as opposed to Holley etc.

Video
    https://youtu.be/L-QaIGNCghw

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    I set my target at 12.5 and it was there through the traps. I went back to my logs from my best ET with a carb and it went through the traps at 13.0.

The air was similar to the first two days of drag week 15 and my ET was .02 faster but it was 1.5 mph slower, that give me hope its got some more in it. Plus I am drowing the thing in accel enrichment it looks like, I have been taking some of that out every pass.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    My tuning was during Drag Week, and I started the week at 11.0 AFR's and running 13.2's and ended the week running right at 13.0's running 12.5's.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    I made it to the track Friday, it went well. Started out decent and got better. The MPH is still down some but after comparing my logs with the carb setup I have the target set pretty rich. I am going to lean it out and try it again this friday I hope.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    I am just glad the constant refinement doesn't require gas all over the place and a bunch of tiny drill bits. Thats the carb life lol

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Welcome to the land of constant refinement Actually, it took about a year, but I've settled into after I get it running, I datalog and drive it a bunch for about a week, then just leave it alone unless some kind of driveability is annoying me and just asking for correction.

I did end up programming some idiot lights on both the Skylark and Firebird though. Real simple to use OE lights because the signal is a ground to light them up. On my Firebird, the GEN light will come on under 12.2v or over 15.0 volts, the TEMP light comes up under 120F and again if temps go over 205F, then the OIL light comes on for my shift light, since I don't have the oil pressure wired in. Because the Skylark is a manual, I have two LED's for shifting, one set a few hundred RPM under my shift point (to get me ready) and one at the shift point. The shift point one also plays double duty to come on if coolant temp goes over 205F.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    I have checked the throttle body and intake area for vacuum leaks and haven't found anything. I do need to racal my TPS I didn't think of that. The idle is getting better everytime I mess with it but it still makes me laugh that has been whats fighting me the most. I was all worried about getting this thing to drive down the road OK, that was easy lol.

Weather looks great this weekend so I hope to see how this works out at the track. I am hoping it picks up a little from the carb just because I have 1000CFM of air inlet now and I went to a taller/bigger intake manifold. It feels really strong but that has brought me disappointment before lol.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Increasing flow will just make the engine idle higher.

Sure you have all the vacuum ports on the intake and throttle body plugged off? With the blades closed tight and the IAC closed off it should stall the engine.

Also remember, if you adjust the throttle stop on the throttle body to re-calibrate your TPS.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I am making this up as I go: can you port and polish I the iac to in crease flow and maybe cut down on sound?

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    When mine is warmed up it doesn't need many steps at all even with the blades closed down tight. I am hoping the air cleaner muffles it lol because it is finally going into closed loop idle and working well.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    IMO, the IAC valve on my Skylark is way undersized for the big block, but you can typically find a happy medium. IAC tuning time! Get the car nice and warmed up. Then command the IAC valve to sit at like 50 steps (and turn off closed loop rpm targeting if you have it on), then adjust your throttle blades to bring the idle back up to where you want it to idle at. This should create the largest opening you can use with your throttle blades, which then should allow both less IAC usage and less noise from less air needing to be pulled through it. Then of course turn all your closed loop idling setting back on.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    Yeah I started it the other day just for that reason, reached in the window, turned the key on, and pushed the button. I am hoping the IAC bypass isn't as loud once I get off my butt and put an air cleaner on it.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    , its so hard not to give the throttle a pump on cold starts. I fired it up and backed it out of the garage today and never touched the throttle pedal, that would have been a two foot job with the carb.
    Ain't it cool??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X