MS3X base tune for LSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS3X base tune for LSX

I am in the final stages of my LSX turbo build and looking for base tune help to get it running and shorten the startup hassles.
    It's not the first Mesquirt build we have done but by far has the most complexity and power potential.
    Also looking for a recommended dyno tuner in South Florida.

These are the basics.

402 LS with L92 heads
    9.2:1 compression, pump gas
    88mm turbo
    MS3X
    120lb injectors with JB peak and hold drivers
    Injectors and coils are setup sequential
    238 / 238 @.050 cam duration

Click image for larger version

Name:	Malibu 1213.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	880956

What start-up hassles do you anticipate? Heres some of what I encountered helping my buddy start his twin turbo dart for the first time:
    (BS3 fully synchronous set-up, 3 bar map)
    1. Loose oil feed to the turbo... We prelubed and cracked the lines to make sure the oil was there, then forgot to tighten them back up...That's an easy one to fix before firing...
    2. Improperly stabbed distributor. Not my fault I swear! Physically detect TDC and do it the right way!
    3. Loose radiator hose...
    4. Loose header bolts
    5. Scary header coating cooking off inside the headers, throwing sparks around out the loose header gaskets and exhaust pipes. Seriously, this one was unexpected as Ive never seen sparks from header coating before, bubbling yes. Suggest burning off header coating before installing an O2 sensor (fat tune please)... I don't like internal header coating.
    6. Starter wasn't installed into the Lakewood bellhousing properly and shorted against the block while starting...

Once we got our sh*t straight and took wrench in hand to tighten everything down she fired up first crank and idled out like the mild 520cuin motor that it is. No EFI issues whatsoever.

Things that can go wrong but didn't: IAC wiring screw ups (minor problem and its pretty detectable on first start)
    TPS wired backwards... Check this on the dash before cranking
    Fuel leaks... What can I say. Never fire anything without checking for this 100% all the way through to the tank. Set the pre-run on the pump to like 5 minutes and set the pressure and check everything.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ttdart sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	876160
    Tuning for start and idle is the easiest part of the tune at any rate...Its still NA basically at that point. Im way more jittery about the WOT dyno pulls coming up than anything else...
    Be sure to reality check your VEs at idle to make sure the basic set-up data is valid... Big VEs (+40) usually mean something isn't right. Other than that... let er rip. Hopefully one of the MS specific guys will chime in as well.
    BKB
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

One more thing... Monitor engine temps carefully to avoid screwing things up right off the bat... Pretty basic. And don't forget the clutch fluid.
      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by Sctrance View Post
        I am in the final stages of my LSX turbo build and looking for base tune help to get it running and shorten the startup hassles.
        It's not the first Mesquirt build we have done but by far has the most complexity and power potential.
        Also looking for a recommended dyno tuner in South Florida.

These are the basics.

402 LS with L92 heads
        9.2:1 compression, pump gas
        88mm turbo
        MS3X
        120lb injectors with JB peak and hold drivers
        Injectors and coils are setup sequential
        238 / 238 @.050 cam duration

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28957[/ATTACH]

Is this a 24x or 58x combo? the most important thing is the ignition configuration. I probably have some starter tunes for you.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          Is this a 24x or 58x combo? the most important thing is the ignition configuration. I probably have some starter tunes for you.
          Thanks for showing up DG . The Malibu looks serious and Im just a dabbler with older iron. Got my first MS3 box yesterday. Serious value.
          BKB
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

BK thanks for the sage advice, screwing together reliable race cars I am far from a beginner. Several years of 20 minute qualifier to practice engine changes in NASCAR when they raced real small blocks made me anal and methodic to a fault.

Dieselgeek, it's 24x, just looking for something to get it lit, idle and a little drivability. We will use tuner studio to get further then on to the dyno. You might recognize this car from Drag Week 2012 SS/SB/NA. The turbo is my 2014 DW combo.

Oh yeah we have this setup with an idle air control valve if that makes a difference.

Comment

deiselgeek did you have anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Sctrance View Post
                deiselgeek did you have anything?
                Yes. got an email address?
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  Yes. got an email address?
                  Sent you a PM, thanks!!

Comment

Update It's alive! Hats off to my son for ground up building the MS3x system and having the patience I don't to work through the initial tuning steps.
                    Only real issue was Dad cheaped out on the throttle body and that made for an exciting and memorable first test drive.

Comment

Never Cheap out on the throttle body...
                      Last edited by BKBridges; March 19, 2014, 02:52 PM.
                      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

That's why I use a high quality Holley

j/k
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Now that's some quality recycling right there, especially like the anti kink device on the go cable. The straight 6 makes it all cool though.

Comment

Randall,
                            A little oil on the journal bearings once in a while will help the throttle force stay low... very nice!
                            www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                            Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Thanks guys

I cut and welded up that support before I even tried the throttle. I'm using cheap and crappy Mr. Gasket or such throttle cables that have ends that break if you blink at them wrong. Hence I pre-emtively wrapped the end with electrical tape for support and made the support. It works like a champ though, I can actuate the throttle with my hand and the cable will feed in properly under the weight of the gas pedal. I siliconed sprayed the cable down plenty and hit the carb throttle shafts a few times after using brake clean on them while the engine is running to inspect for vacuum leaks (so far none around the shafts!).

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X