Submerged pump fuel tank plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submerged pump fuel tank plans?

I need to build a new fuel tank to occupy the same space as the stock tank I have with an add on sump and have a submerged fuel pump. I'm running an EFI 43 PSI setup now and the welded on sump that was fine for the carb has starvation issues with anything below 2/3rds tank of gas.

I'll build it from sheet aluminum bent on a brake and with side plates and some beads for stiffness. I will run the same Aeromotive A1000 series pump and filters I have now which I know can run submerged. What I'm trying to figure out is the sump/pickup configuration and the return ports and breather vents. I'm thinking of a 8-10" cylinder in the middle with small "vents' around the base diameter and higher to keep a column of fuel around the pickup. I want to allow for a two pump set up if that matters. Any ideas?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Re: Submerged pump fuel tank plans?

User Dragula on Moparts alsways posts pics of his fabricated tank with an A1000 submerged. Look up posts by him, it shows the mounting brackets and the line layout inside the tank. It doesn't have the can setup you're thinking about, though.
    Ran

Comment

At 1/3 full, mine dies every time I hit the brakes.
      D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

Since this is a thread about submerged/in-tank fuel pumps I've got questions. Has anyone seen or used
        the new sump from Aeromotive? I can't seem to find any decent pictures of an installation even on the
        Aeromotive website. I suspect it would be a nice setup judging by the rest of their products. Maybe
        Dave and Chad can do an install with one so we can see first hand. Ideally it would be on a 65 Impala tank.

Comment

Here's a crude drawing of how I make an sump when I build a tank. (looking down from the top)

The circle in the center is the fuel pump or pickup.

The lines surrounding it are "walls" that are welded/sealed to the bottom of the tank and are at least 1/2 way to the top.

If you look at it and imagine liquid inside the "walls" around the pump/pickup area you can see the pump will have fuel until the tank is basically empty. If you tilt or slosh the fuel in any direction its trapped by the walls and cannot get away from the pump.

Return lines are routed to dump into the sump area around the pump so you dont run out of fuel if your sitting on an incline and your low on fuel.

Here's an example of a flat bottom tank I built with that style baffle in it.

Here is a sump I built into a tank I built for my 75 FJ40 Landcruiser. It sticks out the bottom of the floor and has a 3/4" hole in the floor of the tank that feeds/fills it. Two bungs on the side, one for fuel supply, one for return.

Build thread here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=342320&pp=25

For your car I would just run a separate 1-gallon alum tank for the fuel "sump" and have the FI pump draw from it. Use a separate electric "lift" pump to supply fuel to the sump tank. Lift pump fills the sump tank, excess fuel returns to the stock tank. EFI return fuel returns to the sump tank so you never run out.

Chris 8)

Comment

Working...
          X