Coverting to EDIS from MSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverting to EDIS from MSD

Its time to move from the distributor VR trigger to a crank trigger. Two stupid questions. Can I change the trigger and still use the distributor just to send spark to the plug? I can't see why not.

Second, can I simplify the cut over by doing the mechanical swap out with the engine at TDC or 20 BTDC to get the wheel and sensor alignment close and then start the engine, check for timing light based timing vs. what the software thinks I have, and adjust the sensor position until they agree?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Re: Coverting to EDIS from MSD

Yes, you can use a 36-1 trigger wheel and still use the distributor / MSD box ignition setup. It'll make for very accurate spark at all RPMs, and a nice smooth tach input on the EMS datalogs. Good stuff for sure.

Yes, you can cut over exactly as you ask.

I would use an LS1 Crankshaft Position sensor (sorry Bill, Chevy parts). Get it for a 2001 Silverado pickup, half ton 5.3 liter v8 2wd.

Line up your sensor & trigger wheel with the following method:

When the engine is at 50 degrees BTDC, the "missing tooth" should be centered under the pickup sensor. Or, with the engine at TDC, the pickup sensor should be centered on the 5th tooth after the missing tooth on the trigger wheel.

Get the EDIS wheel from any Ford dealership, or better yet a junkyard. ALL distributorless Ford engines have them on the balancer / crank pulley.

There is a proper orientation of the Crank sensor, so before you mount it - post up or give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

(Chad's probably chuckling because he knows I am going to call him and have him look at Rusty. I do that every time someone converts to an EDIS wheel).

When we're ready, I'll send you a new MSQ or walk you through setting up the "wheel decoder" function in the software and it'll start right up.

Take note, you now have the opportunity of getting rid of the distributor altogether. Pantera EFI is about 10 minutes from your house, they make the best individual coils that money can buy, and they're cheap at $68 apiece... and coilpacks eliminate the extra arc/gap inside the distributor, and noise in your electrical system...

-scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

bill this will be a big improovment on that for (kidding). let me know if you need any help.

Comment

A buddy went through his books and found the same sensor for a number of applications. He gave me the following Ford PNs

"New part number at a lower price!

F7TZ-12K073-B. $25 list price. I saw some on Ebay for $17.99 in the sealed Ford baggie.

The Motorcraft harness connector for this sensor is a WPT-899."

Wiring diagram: http://www.svoca.com/forum/attachmen...6&d=1225184244

"The one I've got here is a hall effect sensor. It contains a permanent magnet, transducer, signal conditioner and a switching transistor. The transistor switches on and grounds the 5 volt line from the ECM. It is a three wire, a 5 V signal supply, a 5 V power feed for the signal conditioner, and a signal ground. The retaining clip doubles as a crank timing pointer."

I think is either the same sensor that Scott is talking about or does the same thing.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X