Ignition Questions and Trickery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ignition Questions and Trickery

What you'd want is a transistor that outputs 5v when the input is grounded, and goes to 0 volts when the input is floating or at 12v. It's that simple...

basically, you want the transistor to convert the high-low-high 12v signal to a low-high-low 5v signal. This would be *very* easy to do! but at this point, you'd still be running the LS coils wasted spark, right? they don't like to run wasted spark - they need "cool down" time, they don't need much dwell but they do NOT like duty cycles above 50% for very long.

Matt could probably draw the circuit for you...
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Would the Pantera EFI coils of the similar style work in a similar arrangement? I'm honestly very limited on my knowledge of transistors and the wife a bit rusty so that's a big tip, thanks DG.

Just so you know I'm sticking with stock coils till I get this in the code, I've decided the RC constant offset idea is just overblown and probably not worth the hassle.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The pantera coils (the single ones with built in ignitors) work *exactly* the same way that LSx coilpacks work.

They take a 5v input to "charge" then going to 0 volts discharges (spark)... and they are rated to work at much higher duty cycles than a LSx coilpack.

So they would work with your system that's firing "wasted spark" a lot better.

BUT - a cheaper way for you, would be to get yourself a six cylinder "ignition module" or "ignitor" off something like a Mitsubishi 300GT engine (or a Dodge Caravan with a 6-banger in the junkyard). Then get a Pantera "six tower' pack which is very inexpensive, but same power capability...

and do the same thing. Actually, you could make your own ignitor (it's just a couple of transistors) that takes the "ground" trigger from your existing setup... and set it up to drive the coilpacks.

That would be the kickass way to do your setup, simple and effective. Matt Cramer knows where to get the BIG transistors cheap too. You could do this whole setup for a hundred bucks or less I'd think?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I thought those coils looked familiar, I bought a set from Brian Kennedy at http://www.bmepfuelandtuning.com/htm..._ignition.html

Unfortunately my prior tuner smoked em by overcharging the battery. I was so disgusted that I haven't gone through and checked if any of them are any good, they're all in a box. I know that one of them is good, I bought 5 so I'd have a spare. >

Bob

Comment

hmmm, battery charge shouldn't affect them. The only set I've seen smoked were because they were in a "charging" state when they should have been "idle"

it happens if they're wired improperly. If your EMS has no power, but the coils have power - it's all over. I always make sure people run their power supply off the same relay trigger as the fuel pump, controlled by the computer...

if they didn't physically melt, they should be OK.

Comment

Working...
            X