Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs are cool!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just figured I should come stir up some shit since I haven't been on this side of the board in forever.

Don't blast me. I own EFI cars too. And tune my own stand alone on Rusty.

Carbs are cool though.

I am thinking about big block power for the '66 Wagon, and low-buck efi. Maybe a "ring of fire" like the one I built for our Maverick at Spectre. Scott and Shaun know all about that one. It rocked.
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Re: Carbs are cool!

Originally posted by carjunkiechad
    Maybe a "ring of fire"

That would definitely make it yours!

Comment

that's the "first startup" of Chad's "Ring of Fire" EFI system for the I6 maverick we tortured at Spectre. The idea was, put six OEM injectors above a throttle body so that we could run a dry nitrous setup where the computer added the nitrous enrichment fuel with the injectors.

Listen carefully to the guy who says "that's friggin awesome!" - that's Bruce Bowling, original designer of the Megasquirt. We had a friendly wager going on whether or not the engine would run at all...

(Mike Buehler named it "Ring of Fire" because one slight mishap and this thing would need Boots & Coots to put out the blaze! haha)

There's a longer video with more detail here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAavuQCBEOQ

Right at the beginning you can see Chad and Andy working on the intake elbow that held the six injectors.

Scroll to 5:05 to see more detail of the first startup. This is a good example of the typical EFI "first start" - again, you can hear Mike B (Mikeloaf from CJTV) cautioning us to have a fire extinguisher ready in case there's a backfire. hehe. The sound of the injectors themselves, were louder than the engine (before Chad hacked off the exhaust). Listen to it idle happily at 500rpm.

In retrospect, this was some of the most fun I've ever had working on crazy car stuff!

-scott
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

WTF CHAD

the word carb should not be spoken in this part of town, im going to send the s10 after you hahahahahahaha hit me up lata

Comment

I think what separates the folks that are ultimately successful at using EFI and those that give up and go back to carbs is the willingness to just fiddle around with the EFI.

You guys were clearly having fun just playing around. I don't think there is an equivalent carb experience. "hey lets stick 6 venturi in this holley" Nope, doesn't happen.

Bob

Comment

The formula for successful EFI is simply this: make friends with someone willing to answer a few questions and guide you through it.

Bob makes a great point. How many people have gotten together to see if they can run a lawnmower engine with a pair of sidedraft webers???
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Chad, I like the way you think. Let's really "mix" things up with a couple more good anti-EFI words like "Thermoquad", "white-cast four barrel", and Predator.....

;)

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                Chad, I like the way you think. Let's really "mix" things up with a couple more good anti-EFI words like "Thermoquad", "white-cast four barrel", and Predator.....

;)

Ron
                A pox on both your houses!! You probably both play Dungeons and Dragons and attend Renaissance Fairs in costume. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                  Originally posted by NMCA_Ron

;)

Ron
                  A pox on both your houses!! You probably both play Dungeons and Dragons and attend Renaissance Fairs in costume. ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

No dungeons and dragons here.

I do have fun with a tig and some crazy ideas though. We had sooooo much fun working on the "Mavenator", and I couldn't have ever imagined that a 6 cylinder Mav could be that much fun. The funny thing is that we had a bunch of great minds working on it, and most thought my idea would never work. We sat around and bench raced it to the point that we all said screw it we're going to try it, and sure as hell it worked great. That was a fun car to play with. And when Scott and I sprayed it the first time we both laughed like school girls when the nitrous hit. I swear we used a 10lb bottle just playing on the street. Those were the good times. That car had more blood, sweat and tears from me, Mladen, Scott, and Shaun. When are we doing it again? I'm ready anytime!
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

im down

i have a dart we could do it to.

now all we need is parts.................ideas??????

the dart needs some fuel injection on its slant

Comment

hmmm...but you're not denying the costumes.

It looks like you guys were having a blast.

DG, I know lots of guys that have gotten together to try and make webers work on British and Italian cars. They weren't anymore successful then the lawnmowers and it usually degenerates to drinking warm beer or chianti. I think the secret is that you have to wave some unusable instrument over them and chant, or is that mutter, a lot. I do know that the end of the chant goes something like..."close enough."

Bob

Comment

Don't worry Chad-you aren't a complete dork unless you speak fluent Klingon. :D

I think the trick to making Webers work is to forget everything you know about carburators and learn about Webers. They're infinitely tunable but they're completely different from anything else.

Comment

Working...
                          X