'86-'89 TPI install ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86-'89 TPI install ...

I'm looking for someone with a '86 to '88 TPI vehicle that ready to change over to megasquirt and are at the point where they are ready to start wiring in the MS unit.

I have an GM '165 ECM to MS adapter board ready for test and am looking for a test vehicle - the board will be supplied fully assembled at no cost providing you agree to provide feedback within 1 week of receiving the board. Its based on the proven TBI adapter board so confident on a plug in and run. This board will allow you to plug in the megasquirt into the GM harness without any wiring modifications. So plug and play.

PM me if your want to help.

Thanks

Marc

Re: '86-'88 TPI install ...

I'm nowhere near ready for a Mega. But I've got the TPI hard parts, and I'm following this closely... So keep us posted, and I might be a customer!

Comment

somebody here should try this out. Talk about potentially killer engine swap goodness!!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have a bone stock TPI car, but the fine midwestern weather seriously gets in the way of tinkering with the car.

If you're looking to see if the setup is idiot proof I'm your guy! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
          I have a bone stock TPI car, but the fine midwestern weather seriously gets in the way of tinkering with the car.

If you're looking to see if the setup is idiot proof I'm your guy! :D
          do it Kris

I can help you troubleshoot it if there's problems. I think I have a TPI tune for MS1 too... Marc, is this MS1 or MS2?

-scott

EDIT - you're talking about a 10 minute install, too. Easy to swap back...
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I'm game, and I've got some time to do it. As long as the roads are clear-I'm not driving it in the salt.

What are the requirements for the laptop? Would I need some specific cables to hook it up?

I'm not kidding about the idiot proof part-I'm a virgin to EFI tuning. I do know my way around the car fairly well and I have a GM service manual for it. The car is sound overall and all the tune-up stuff, injectors, and O2 sensor are fresh.

Comment

I'm game, and I've got some time to do it. As long as the roads are clear-I'm not driving it in the salt.

What are the requirements for the laptop? Would I need some specific cables to hook it up?

I'm not kidding about the idiot proof part-I'm a virgin to EFI tuning. I do know my way around the car fairly well and I have a GM service manual for it. The car is sound overall and all the tune-up stuff, injectors, and O2 sensor are fresh.

REAL basic laptop, it can even be a desktop; whichever you choose, it has to have either a 9-pin serial port (also called COM port), almost all desktops have this; if not (lots of laptops don't have it) you need a USB-serial adapter which can be purchased at Radioshack or other places like Best Buy pretty cheap $15-$35

depending on if he has a tune for a stock TPI already loaded, you might not need a laptop at all. Just a timing light to confirm that the timing is OK.

There are a few basic tests you run once you hook it up before you start it with the intention to "run" - things like spark while cranking, RPM signal into the megasquirt, etc. The TPI is a well known quantity; I'm betting he has a great tune for you to start with...

best thing is, if it goes wrong - you swap back the factory computer. But it's worth a little troubleshooting to get "right"

-scott

Comment

I'm assuming it's a situation where you drive it and datalog and it shows you which way you need to go?

Comment

Geek,

Its meant for a V3.0 main board and MS2 processor so the IAC is functional.

4Speed you'll need to supply or borrow the Megasquirt manin board and MS2 processor, the adapter board is yours to keep. For the board test once you have it idling with the ignition timing control enabled - test complete. Which city/town/state are you located in?

Efi..

Comment

I'm in Independence,MO-suburban Kansas City.

Comment

Scott,

Are you close by to help if needed?

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy
                        Scott,

Are you close by to help if needed?
                        I'm 2.5 hours away, but I give great phone ;)

He's real close to Paul (purplecobra) whose been through a few installs and tunes. Do you have a "ballpark" tune for us to load on an MS2? All I have for a TPI motor is an MS1-Extra tune. It'd be helpful if you could get us a basic TPI tuneup to get him started.

Kris is plenty sharp, he can handle it.

-scott

Comment

Scott,

I have a tuneup for my 406 that will get him started, its not a TPI but close enough. MPI with a central TB.

Marc

Comment

PM me your name, address and phone #. I'll have the board ready very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy
                              PM me your name, address and phone #. I'll have the board ready very soon.
                              PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                              X