Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help another rookie with TPI--Junkyard STYLE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help another rookie with TPI--Junkyard STYLE!!

Scenario: '56 Chebbie pickup, Goodwrench 350 SBC (didn't have time to build my own on this one).. TH350, 9" rear with 4.10s. Might swap to a 700r4 this summer... depends on how long the old tranny lasts.

I have a box full of hard parts for an '84 ('85?) TPI setup... in there somewhere is a GM computer for a 4.3 (I think!)

Cam on the shelf (freebie) is a Comp 4x4 grind duration 200/206 at .050", lift .480/.480, LSA 110... not sure if I wanna use this.

I know I need:
    -Harness... from what junkyard year/make? (or just shut up & get a new one? from who...?)
    -gaskets
    -Sensors... junkyard? make/yr/model?

Soooo...

1. Good recommendation on cam? (the freebie has NO overlap)
    2. Use the stock computer or go with something else (see the other 'Help rookie...EFI...etc.' thread)

Truck is a daily driver, but it might see a few bracket races.

Thanks!

Tony

Re: Help another rookie with TPI--Junkyard STYLE!!

ahem

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Great suggestion... I'll be first (2nd?) in line for it... ;D

A TPI can be run with a different computer right? Does the adapter board in the other thread allow full tunability? I.e., the old TPI setup can only be 'tuned' by swapping pre-programmed chips, right?

And on to the cam recommendation...

.480/.480 lift, 250/260 seat-to-seat, LSA of 111: sounds like it would be decent, not that big for a TPI...

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
        Great suggestion... I'll be first (2nd?) in line for it... ;D

A TPI can be run with a different computer right?
        Definitely. Pretty much any aftermarket standalone EMS will work with it, although there's one or two that won't work with the ignition and some that won't control the IAC valve. The injectors are pretty standard things.

Does the adapter board in the other thread allow full tunability?
        Yes, it replaces the guts of the TPI ECU with a programmable standalone system. You could even rewrite the software on the thing if you wanted to...

I.e., the old TPI setup can only be 'tuned' by swapping pre-programmed chips, right?
        There's also a couple of devices out there called emulators that can store and adjust tunes without taking the ECU apart.

Comment

Working...
        X