'89-92 TPI MS conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89-92 TPI MS conversion

Trying to get a feel how many people could use a MS plug and play adapter board to replace the GM '7730 ECM? Things like EGR, canister purge control wouldn't functional.

Re: '89-92 TPI MS conversion

So this would allow me to TOSS the GM (chip dependent) computer?

This would allow a TPI to be hooked up to a laptop for tuning?

If that's what an MS p&p adapter does, then sign me up.

I'm a Neanderthal on EFI, so help me out here...

Comment

Yes it would free you from the chip dependent GM computer. Tuning on MS is done using a laptop.

The process is:

1) assemble the adapter board using a salvaged GM harness mating connector out of a junkyard GM ECM that has the same part number.
      2) unplug the set timing connector and make sure the base timing is set to 10 to 15Deg. BTDC.
      3) plug the MS into the adapter board.
      4) unplug your GM computer (don't toss it out ..)
      5) plug in the adapter board into the GM harness (no snipping/soldering needed).
      6) start up and start tuning.
      7) once the engine is idling ok plug in the set timing connector so MS is controlling the timing.

Comment

is there one out there for tbi thought i read somewhere that you could batch fire port inj. with tbi harness this would make it easy compared to that

i would be interested except i want to use lt1 intake / tb with dist hole put in the back .unless i can controll coil packs

Comment

I am interested in this as I look to build a new motor for my car, would probably help in its current state.
          Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
            is there one out there for tbi thought i read somewhere that you could batch fire port inj. with tbi harness this would make it easy compared to that

i would be interested except i want to use lt1 intake / tb with dist hole put in the back .unless i can controll coil packs
            coilpacks for the huge win in your case Dave.

See if Chad has any pics of what we did to the LT1 on Rusty. We bolted an EDIS wheel onto his balancer, rigged up a ghetto crank sensor mount, use the LS1 crank sensor, and then a pair of 4-tower coilpacks - like what's on older Ford mod motors - and bypassed the Opti altogether. Total cost should be around $100 (find a couple 4-cylinder ignitor/transistors in the junkyard for free, otherwise they can add a little to the price)

-scott
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave

There's already an adapter board out there for the TBI computer / harness.

As Scott mentioned, there's quite a few coil pack options out there too.

Comment

As Matt indicated there is a TBI adapter to allow MS to replace the GM '747 ECM's.
                Another post lists a '86 to '88 TPI adapter.
                This topic is for the '89-92 TPI.

Future adapters may include 93-95 LT1 and truck L31 engines.

The aim here is to provide easy MS plug and play into stock harnesses without modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X