Advice on EEC4 2.3 turbo tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on EEC4 2.3 turbo tuning

Here's the deal, Ive been asked if Id be interested in "fixing/tuning" an engine swap that another shop has done on an 46-ish willy's jeep. Its had a 87-88(?) 2.3 Ford tubo motor from either a turbo coupe or mustang transplanted in it and wont run right. The other shop says he's swapped computers, mass air meter, injectors etc but cant get it to not run rich or take throttle.

Hes not much of an efi guy and wants it out of his shop but wants it to run for his customer. Its got a customer supplied "black tape" harness and a factory ford ecm for the turbo coupe. My reccomendations were to lose the harness, let me re-wire it "known-good" and use a MS ecu to run the thing. Told him it cost him about 1500 to 2000 turn key.

How much issue if required to hack the eec4 for tuning? Im assuming the MS would be the best bang for the buck but thats me.

Advise?

Chris 8)

Re: Advice on EEC4 2.3 turbo tuning

just how much of the original loom is in there? Is the OBDII port still hooked up? If so, put a scanner on it and let the PCM tell you what is not functioning correctly.

If I had to guess:

1. vacuum leaks
    2. one or more of the factory sensors is/are not connected or broken wires
    3. bad O2 sensors
    4. bad injectors
    5. TPS not set correctly
    6. are you sure the PCM is the one for the motor?

Comment

OBD1, not 2. I havent gotten involved yet other than the shop owner asking me about it. (Cry for help) Harness is "customer supplied" and wrapped in black tape. Who knows. Im not getting involved unless the owner is willing to spend some $$$. (I can work on my own stuff for free)

Ive done SOME tuning/erase/reburning on GM TBI PROMs but never Ford. Ive got 3 MS ecms built for projects (still havent gotten them to a point of starting the engines yet) and Id like to kindve stick to what I think I know. Plus running MS he would be able to compensate for future mods with minimal cost adding to the value.

Chirs 8)

Comment

if it's a stock combo, best bet is to fix what's there.

Need to figure out the injector size, make sure it has ALL the right parts to match the comptuer he's trying to run. Best bet is to go ask this question at turboford.org

The MS would be OK but in this case, if it's your first MS, there'll be a learning curve that may frustrate you or the customer. I'd pick a less exposed project (like, your own car or a beater) to MS first THEN move into doing it commercially.

But for this guy, I'd probably just try to figure out what the deal is with the car. TONS of the turboford.org guys are EEC tuners too, but they'll likely prefer to help you get the existing problem figured out first,

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

there are a couple of products out there to tune the eec pcm's. tweecer is one of them and i think there is one called eec tuner.

decent programs

i would have to agree on figuring out why his stuff isnt working correctly. sounds as if the pcm isnt seeing something it should be.

Comment

a SVO mustang 1 gen processor
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

or a turbo t-bird from the late 80s. probably cheaper. Make sure you match model years, some of them had "VAF" sensors, and others have "MAF" sensors. There's a huge difference.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Good info, thank you gentlemen, I agree first order is to find out "why" its running the way it is, just making sure of other options before committing. I still dont have any $$$$ approval yet from the other shop owner and therefore I havent done an evaluation on it.

Will update if they $tep up...

Chris 8)

Comment

Working...
                X