• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mega squirt, skill? required..

only than the tuning of it..
    how hard is it ,to build the box..
    may try it on a bbc.. that is a crate engine

Re: mega squirt, skill? required..

do you know how to solder and follow a schematic?

Comment

hows your patience level?

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
        yes, built my own surround receiver ;D

Comment

hows your patience level?
          well...................
          lets just say..
          I know when to take a break and walk away for a few

Comment

i think you will be ok then

scott will prob chime in real soon 8)

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan
              the assembly will be a cakewalk then! (I'm building my own tube amp right now)

The hardest part is the vehicle install and debugging. Assembly is easy. Tuning is easy. Install and debug are the biggest challenges but that's where people like me, matt cramer, shaun can help you out here.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

if I was to go dissy less..
                how would one, trigger the spark retard for dual stage n.o.s.
                and for dizzy less spark controll and triggered spark retard. what circuit board version, should I be looking at..
                want a set up.. that will grow, grow meaning. procharger at a later date

Comment

and for dizzy less spark controll and triggered spark retard. what circuit board version, should I be looking at..
                  Get a MS1 PCB3.0 from DIYautotune.com

Then when it's time to load the software onto the MS1, you use the "MS-Extra" version. That firmware gives you the ability to run dry or wet nitrous, with spark retard built. It will actually trigger the Nitrous solenoid, add the extra fuel through the injectors, etc. so you don't need a window switch, throttle switch, or any of that stuff in a normal nitrous system. Obviously you need big enough injectors to support the extra nitrous (or boost) fuel - and the fuel system to support it (pump? regulator?)

What engine are you working with? that'll determine how you go distributorless.

-scott
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    the assembly will be a cakewalk then! (I'm building my own tube amp right now)

The hardest part is the vehicle install and debugging. Assembly is easy. Tuning is easy. Install and debug are the biggest challenges but that's where people like me, matt cramer, shaun can help you out here.
                    bump ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      Get a MS1 PCB3.0 from DIYautotune.com

Then when it's time to load the software onto the MS1, you use the "MS-Extra" version. That firmware gives you the ability to run dry or wet nitrous, with spark retard built. It will actually trigger the Nitrous solenoid, add the extra fuel through the injectors, etc. so you don't need a window switch, throttle switch, or any of that stuff in a normal nitrous system. Obviously you need big enough injectors to support the extra nitrous (or boost) fuel - and the fuel system to support it (pump? regulator?)

What engine are you working with? that'll determine how you go distributorless.

-scott
                      either the 454 g.m. crate.. or the 488 that I'm building

Comment

The method I'd recommend for least headaches and easy learning curve:

Phase 1 - Fuel control only. Leave the ignition as-is. Tune it yourself using a simple wideband O2 sensor. Learn the ropes of MS, flashing firmware, tuning, datalogging, debugging. Use the "tach output" of your MSD box to drive the tach input of the Megasquirt

Phase 2 - integrate the distributor ignition. This means just having your MS control the timing, but now it gets it's tach input from the distributor itself. This gets you into mapped timing, learning about trigger angle, etc.

Phase 3 - get a high resolution trigger wheel (NOT msd crank trigger) like an EDIS wheel from a Ford, and put it somewhere on the crank pulley or balancer, and then get a crankshaft position sensor (can't beat the GM LSx sensors!). Get either a pair of wasted spark coilpacks, or 8 individual coils designed to run wasted spark, make up the rather complicated harness to go with that... and you're set.

Comment

If you're running two stages of nitrous, the MS2 V3.0 (same board, different processor) may be worth considering, as the MS2/Extra code now has a dedicated two stage nitrous control code option. The MS1 can do everything on your list except it can only do a single stage of nitrous control.

I agree with Scott on the order - it's a lot easier to get it up and running fuel first.

It took me about 8 hours to build my first Megasquirt, and I had less soldering experience then than you have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                            If you're running two stages of nitrous, the MS2 V3.0 (same board, different processor) may be worth considering, as the MS2/Extra code now has a dedicated two stage nitrous control code option. The MS1 can do everything on your list except it can only do a single stage of nitrous control.

I agree with Scott on the order - it's a lot easier to get it up and running fuel first.

It took me about 8 hours to build my first Megasquirt, and I had less soldering experience then than you have now.
                            COOL
                            I just don't want to have to build another brain.. to add the triggered spark. later..\ dig ;)

Comment

Megasquirt is so modular, that you can start with just about anything and modify it real easily later on. I like the through-hole board (version 3.0) PCB best for this.

You can start with MS1, and go MS2 for $60 later on.

Matt Cramer, what's the DOWNSIDE to MS2. How many spark outputs can it support if he also wants to run 2 nitrous outputs? Is there a list somewhere for MS2E outputs support? I know it's limited. It's the main reason I've stuck with MS1 so far, although I recently did a Microsquirt on a 1000cc v-twin and was *very* happy with performance, timing accuracy, etc. and that was on the Grippo code - not MS2E.

-scott

Comment

Working...
                              X