6.0 in 1970 chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.0 in 1970 chevelle

I have a 1999 6.0 liter i want to rebuild and put in my 70 chevelle.This car is my daily driver 9 months out of the year when it isnt snowing.I want to stay efi,this would be first efi project.I would like to run the edelbrock pro-flo xt manifold.I assume I could use the cable throttle body.Would a modified stock harness and ecm be the easiest route for me,i'm not a computer guru.I'm interested in MS but need this to be running soon and fairly easy to work with.I have other projects in the works.Welcome your suggestions and input. John

Re: 6.0 in 1970 chevelle

Welcome to our site.......there are some minds on here for engineering what you want.....but have you thought to take a look at www.LS1tech.com ...........this is right up their alley.
    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Ive been lurking over there also.Thought I would check here,there seems to be some quite knowledgable efi guys.I need to keep it rather simple and somewhat cost effective.Thanks alot John

Comment

the easiest thing to do would be to find a stock computer and harness out of a junk yard, just make sure its of the same era 2500-3500 truck. Then all you need is an ls1 intake the tb will bolt right to it. If the truck intake fits under the hood I would use that. It is equally as good as the ls6 intake, with a better tq band due to the long runners. If you don't need it quick i would go ms, otherwise the stocker will work just fine.

Comment

I agree with greenjunk, for this project I'd go with a stock computer and harness. Get it in the car, and running... then when you need to do with heavy hitter upgrades, weigh the price of tuning the factory comptuer versus standalone. The crazier the combo, the more a standalone system becomes attractive...

keep us posted.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

thanks geek, ;D you really don't have to worry much about the standalone until you max out the maf, typically boosted stuff then its nice to be able to dial in the 3bar map. boost I mean. all motor, stock ecu works great to 8500rpm

Comment

If i get a ecm from a like year truck 1999-2000,it will need to be tuned if i change cam,manifold and add headers.This is all I plan on doing to start with,like i said this is a driver.I figured I would have to have the harness reworked and a tune put in the computer.I was told a f-body harness might be better than the truck harness,as far as getting it into the interior of the car.Thanks for the help,welcome any advice and suggestions. john

Comment

Originally posted by upnorth chevelles
                If i get a ecm from a like year truck 1999-2000,it will need to be tuned if i change cam,manifold and add headers.This is all I plan on doing to start with,like i said this is a driver.I figured I would have to have the harness reworked and a tune put in the computer.I was told a f-body harness might be better than the truck harness,as far as getting it into the interior of the car.Thanks for the help,welcome any advice and suggestions. john
                "need" is hard to define.

With a mild cam, headers, intake - it'd be a godo idea to get a tune. Around here, you can take it to a dyno shop and pay under $200 to get that done. Not sure what it's like where you live (in SoCal, this is a $750+ job).
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Would a "mail order tune" be okay to get it running and then take it to a shop to have it optimized.I think there are a few dyno shops around,I have no idea what they charge.I,m in wisconsin so i would guess fairly close to the same as your area.A friend of mine has a bodyshop and the kid that works for him has a twin turbo nissan which he has had tuned up in the fox valley.Ive got lots to do before that,the mechanical stuff isnt a problem,the electrical is another story.Thanks,John

Comment

Originally posted by upnorth chevelles
                    Would a "mail order tune" be okay to get it running and then take it to a shop to have it optimized.I think there are a few dyno shops around,I have no idea what they charge.I,m in wisconsin so i would guess fairly close to the same as your area.A friend of mine has a bodyshop and the kid that works for him has a twin turbo nissan which he has had tuned up in the fox valley.Ive got lots to do before that,the mechanical stuff isnt a problem,the electrical is another story.Thanks,John

yeah, i think that would be an OK plan!

Comment

Since it's a 99, does it have aluminum or iron heads?

Comment

Which tune are you planning to use Westers, PCMmod, Virginia Speed, Nelson, Black Bear, Wheatley, or Performance Engine Tune.
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

how much power are you looking at.

with the ls xt manifold i would suggest getting the lokar cables cause the 90 mil throttle badie is an ls style but the linkage hooks up on the opposite side (passenger side).

mail order tunes either work or they dont be carful and do your home work. if you are going to have someone tune the stock computer look for a reputable hp tuner (tuner).

making a stock harness work is easier than you think aslong as you have a wire schematic.

i cant believe i missed this thread

Comment

the hi po 6.0 didn't appear until 01
                            must be the iron heads
                            warning -low compression for towing

Comment

Working...
                            X