MS and Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS and Vista?

How well does MS or tuner studio play with Vista? Will it work with a USB port ok? The only laptop I have is Vista and has no serial port. Getting close to ordering an MS system, just curious if I need to look for another laptop too.

Thanks

Re: MS and Vista?

I haven't had any issues using my 64-bit Windows Vista laptop and the USB to serial port adapter with the MegaSquirt. I use the adapter found on the DIYautotune.com website.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I haven't tried Vista yet.

But the first major hurdle is making sure your USB adapter works with it - not necessarily Megatune or Tuners Studio.

I also haven't used Tuner Studio yet either... I'm old school megasquirt. :D
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

As the others mention, USB adapter drivers seem to have been the biggest headache. The other possible issue is the User Access Control blocking you from saving data logs or MSQs correctly. Both can be overcome.

Comment

I do have all the user access control crap turned off. My vista basically runs like an XP system (lots of things to turn off, but doable).
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            I do have all the user access control crap turned off. My vista basically runs like an XP system (lots of things to turn off, but doable).
            HIJACK - where do I find a list and how-to for all the things to turn off on my Vista? It's driving me NUTS.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
              I haven't tried Vista yet.

But the first major hurdle is making sure your USB adapter works with it - not necessarily Megatune or Tuners Studio.

I also haven't used Tuner Studio yet either... I'm old school megasquirt. :D
              thats kinda funny ;D .....old school megesquirt..........
              i thought it woud be at least another 10 years before i heard that.
              i must be in the stone ages then, but then, i do have vista. lol
              Originally posted by TC
              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Thanks. Wanted to see if there was some insurmountable obstacle to using Vista. I'm not computer savvy, but had heard of many problems with Vista in general. Ours has been working fine though.

Whats user access control stuff?

Comment

vistas old skool
                  windows 7
                  is soon to ship..

on a side note..
                  anyone know when and if m/s will be upgraded to use a UBS port ???
                  or, what it take to ad one..
                  as adapters.. work.. but are finkie

Comment

If they can't get adapters to work, what makes you think they can get native USB to work?

I loaded 7 on a computer, took me about 15 minutes to crash it. Microsoft stuff sucks for the first few years, even the good ones, you need to wait for at least SP2. XP does all you need, why would you want vista? or 7?
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim, sometimes it isnt a matter of want, but what is available. When I bought my new laptop a year ago they told me they couldnt install XP. I do hate Vista, but it hasnt crashed - yet.
                      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        If they can't get adapters to work, what makes you think they can get native USB to work?

I loaded 7 on a computer, took me about 15 minutes to crash it. Microsoft stuff sucks for the first few years, even the good ones, you need to wait for at least SP2. XP does all you need, why would you want vista? or 7?
                        can't test code, for vista/windows 7
                        running xp,
                        well you can, but..

Comment

Originally posted by trukluvr
                          Jim, sometimes it isnt a matter of want, but what is available. When I bought my new laptop a year ago they told me they couldnt install XP.
                          We bought a new laptop a year ago from a company that didn't have any problem installing XP instead of Vista.

Wife got another laptop (ok, a netbook) two months ago with XP on it.

Drivers for XP will be a problem...hopefully 7 will work as well as folks say, but I still don't like it, so I'll probably have to keep using old computers for a long time. Good thing I don't need more than XP.

I though I was the only one that had to make their computer look like it has 2k on it

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

xp.. lic. are not being issued for o.e.m.'s anymore..
                            unless it is a bottom feeder. computer..

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan
                              xp.. lic. are not being issued for o.e.m.'s anymore..
                              unless it is a bottom feeder. computer..
                              In the corporate world, hardly anyone's switched to Vista. XP is going to be around a long time.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X