Blown v6/MS2 first start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown v6/MS2 first start up

Peter Florance from PF tuning came over this weekend for the long-awaited start up. First, starter didnt even want to roll over. Found out that the reverse-lock-out switch was not fully engauging in the shifter so after by-passing it we disconnected the injectors and verified that we had pulse signals. After re-connecting the injectors we tried to start it. It seemed to very briefly start (likely from the priming pulse) and then nothing. Also noted that the TPS didnt show a signal until the pedal was down about an inch. Peter found that the TPS shaft was at the stop so we moved the linkage a tad on the TPS shaft and now we had great resolution at the touch of the throttle. OK, we got that fixed and again tried to start it....nothing. Peter kept adding fuel but nothing. Then it started but the thing idled at 4400 RPM! We got too much air. I set the butterflys on the bugcatcher to zero and we tried it again. Again it started but over 4000 RPM and then a backfire before it died. We had a huge vacuum leak somewhere. After looking around I spotted a blown out blower gasket. Yep....I forgot to torque down the blower bolts! We decided to call it a day so that I could pull everything off, replace the gasket, torque everything down, and reconnect everything. Disappointing but it could have been worse. We know it will run, it had great oil pressure, and there were no leaks. We also know that even with the spintech mufflers it is VERY loud. Peter and I will try it again this weekend. I am confident that It will run. I will try to shoot a vid and send it out next week. I gotta get this thing to at least idle so that I can make the Super Chevy show in Dinwiddie VA next weekend.

Oh yea...and Peter Florance (PF Tuning out of VA Beach) is a great guy and very sharp. Could not be happier with support I am getting from this guy.

Peter came over today and we got this thing running. The idle is really high because the timing and butterfly's were not set yet. But, we did get those dialed in later. Base timing at 12 and the butterfly's set for idle at 1100. We still have some issues to work out, but at least it runs. The IAT (under the blower) is heat soaked big time! we think we need to move it above the blower. Also, the FAST O2 sensor is real flukie so we plan to replace it. The USB connector on my computer kept giving us problems too. Sorry for the screwed up vid URL. Tough day! Will correct and post tonight.
    Last edited by ecorl; May 12, 2014, 03:58 AM.

Comment

What vehicle is this in? Do you have a build thread for the project?

cheers
      Ed
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Ed, this is a 65 chevy II. I do not have a build thread...just pieces of questions that I have been pinging off the group for a while. I have a short video of my first start up and tried to post it from my hard drive but it got hung up. I am guessing the best way to do this is to post it to youtube first and then just link in the URL. I'll see if I can go that route tonight.

Comment

Here is the vid. Again, the idle is way high because the timing and butterfly's were not set yet. But...it lives! I also received editors top 10 award at Super Chevy!

Comment

that looks simple, but must have been very challenging.

sounds great.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
            X