F.A.S.T. ez EFI 2.0 Gas to e85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.A.S.T. ez EFI 2.0 Gas to e85

Having been unable to find if I was about to set myself up for failure I just went for it.
    A few details, I have ez 2.0 installed on my 68 Mustang with a 433ci FE cam is about (lost card) 235 @.050,.530 lift 110lsa , 10.6 CR.

Not wanting to drain the tank I decided to remove as much gas as possible the fun way by driving the car. When I put the car together I set the gas gauge to read empty at 4 gals , 22 gal tank. I did a little math and figured if I could run the tank below 4 gals I'd be good with e70ish. So I did.

Pulled up to pump and filled tank with $2.88 per gal e85, 17.4 gals later I jumped into the car and reset the fuel setting on the FAST control to e85. That done I turned the key,and, it started and ran fine. That's it , no bucks, bangs, pops. I just drove away and went on to work,of course I did it on the way to work.

I drove it on the set AFR's so it is rich because of the extra gas,e ratio is not 85% more like 70% but cruising around it seems fine. I also have an Inovate LC 1 afr indicator it is showing 15-16:1 as it is set to read gas, FAST afr reads mid 9's.
    Saturday I drove it 100 miles round trip up the road to Buda Tx for the Gear Heads cruise at Cabellas , 70-80mph the whole way it just ran,A/C blasting the whole way , water temp the same 195*f.

One issue,get ready Throttle body and FAST ez haters, at high loads, like maybe accelerating from 80-100mph, I got some "chugging" then backing off it showed lean, which it should when it misses. Hummm... flame out maybe? Reset plug gap from .050! to .035 done , problem gone. Thats it.

I have used less than half a tank at 130 miles so I should be near 12mpg , from my gas 16 , did not note odometer when I filled it because the mix is off anyway, and the mileage sucks when the ez is first learning.

A few more details, I'm using a Tanks Inc intake fuel pump with the supplied intank pump from FAST,return system, 43psi. FAST controlling timing .

Sounds like a good time!

Comment

A short update.
      Now that it has gotten colder,Texas cold not BS headquarters cold , I've started to get a better feel for the cold behavior of e85. With the FAST ez2.0 the starts are fine,no difference from gas really. If I drive off like a new car,no warm up, it runs a little carb like but doesn't back fire just a little flutter like leanness. My normal when going to a stop light or sign is to clutch it and roll to a stop on the brakes from about 1500 rpm ,when cold the idle RPM drops very low and will die if I dont blipp the throttle. I've talked with FAST and there suggestion was to set the IAC to "under 10 counts" I did this and it helped but still not 100%. After the big intake gets a little heat in it it's fine.

After warm up it runs fine,very well really. Except...... I still get a flutter/shutter at heavy load and low RPM I've added and removed accel fuel , moved the timing around and raised the fuel pressure maybe some change but still there. If I dont "lug" it and go WOT above 3000 rpm or so it rips right to 6500 rpm (big block remember).

I have yet to do a real mileage check but at $2.03 a gal last fill up I barely care.LOL

Comment

In my experience, the slight misfire is going to be because of distribution at WOT. They all do that, it's my only complaint about the self-learning TBI systems out there.

But, you mentioned earlier that your LC1 was showing 15-16 AFRs. That might be a clue to your issue, as it's set up to show gasoline numbers - that means stoich mixture at 14.7ish to 1. So you are running lean (or misfiring) when it shows 15-16. 16 is about the max'd useful reading on an LC1 also, so it may be pegged leaner (misfire).

Either way I'd expect the engine to miss at least a little bit if the LC1 isn't reading closer to, say, 13.5:1, presuming the exhaust is sealed up good, upstream of the sensor.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

DG, Thanks for your insight. I upped the fuel pressure to 52 , from 42 , vacuum off regulator and it seems to work better now. If I run or drive the car 10 minutes or so then shut it off and let it heat soak the heat in the manifold seems to help.
          I tried to reset the LC1 to read LAMDA but it seems I dont have the correct cable and the 2 I've bought dont seem to work either.

I do have both the cruise and idle set to read 13.5 (gas) and that does seem to be the spot.

Comment

Working...
          X