Sensor 12V Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor 12V Stability

How stable does the 12V supply to sensors and how locked down to 12V does it need to be? I would think that it would need to be regulated to 12V to keep the resistance based 0-5V output consistent but that's me thinking not knowing.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

For analog sensors, the stability is critical, although 12V analog sensors are pretty rare (and several of them use an internal regulator to stabilize things). For an on/off sensor (Hall effect, for example), they're either on or off, so the exact voltage is usually a non-issue. If you do run into issues with a Hall effect sensor, you could put a capacitor on power feed wire.

Comment

start with a damn good alternator.

not easy to narrow down, but they re going for 20+ years now, as very good.
      internal fan is a simple indicator of going modern.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This is an odd one I'm asking for. It's a Bosch K-Jet potentiometer on the side of the mechanical MAF that measures the air flapper position. The Audi documentation I've seen shows a 12V input and a ground with a 0-5V output. It sounds like it is an internally regulated source to the sensor to keep it stable. I'll have to try out my Merc (same sensor) unit with a 9V and 12V sources and see if i get the same range of voltage off of the sensor.

Mainly looking at logging everything possible though a 48 channel MUX board on an Arduino for my LSR destroker.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

You could use an inverter to power a regulated power supply. A DC to DC converter might work but may cause too much ripple.

Comment

Working...
          X