Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MegaSquirt GPIO boards and CAN communications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MegaSquirt GPIO boards and CAN communications.

They make add on boards for CAN communication for MegaSquirt to do extra stuff.

There is one kit for electronic transmission control and one kit for EGT sensors, and I was wondering if both kits could be installed on one GPIO board or if that not work?

Following that line of thought, if it can do both, the EGT kit is for 4 EGT sensors, between the GPIO board and spare MS3x inputs can 6 sensor AND trans control be done?

As a separate question, in case the above answer is "No", can more than one CAN setup be connected into the MegaSquirt? Say the trans controller AND a separate EGT/IO box? Or am I going to have to pick one or the other?

I sent a question in to DIYautotune.com, but figured I'd post it up here. I'm sure I'll get a response back, and I'll post it up here as well.
    Escaped on a technicality.

From Matt:

Theoretically, you could get the four EGT channels working if you don't use a line pressure sensor. But the remaining four ADC channels are tied up for other use. You could make some EGT amplifiers and run them to the unused MS3X analog inputs.
    Hmm, I think I'd like to watch the trans pressure, and I'd have to seriously think about using up 3 ADC inputs on the MS3x for the EGT's, which also would still require amplifiers.

Comment

Why do you want EGTs? Just to datalog? My understanding is that their latency would preclude them from being useful inputs...?
      I'm still learning

Comment

Cylinder balancing and be ready for when it's turbo'd and knowing if something is going awry in a particular cylinder.

The thinking is I can play with the individual cylinder fuel trims to balance out the EGT's. There seems to be a 300-500ºF spread now simply checking the manifold with a laser temp gun (I know, hardly scientific, but that's why I'd look at making it more scientific, 3,000rpm steady state driving balanced out via EGT). They would not be used for on the fly fuel corrections or such, but more of a safety system to have the MS3 shut things down if one cylinder is going hot or cold from say an injector or fuel pump failing, etc.

Comment

What about 6 O2 sensors?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Not in the iron manifolds, where I can stick EGT sensors where the smog tube's would go. Plus 6 O2's are even more expensive than 6 EGT's and EGT sensor amplifiers!

I won't rule out 6 O2's in some distant future if I stick an actual header on the engine. I'd just make a similar semi-mobile setup to DG's and go for 8 O2's or less and tune my Skylark up similarly. I've already welded O2 bungs on each tube of the Skylark's engine.

Comment

Don't know if megasquirt can interface with an Arduino or not but here's something that I was looking into for a data-logger for my destroker:
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The separate modules are cheap enough - why not a dedicated CAN-EGT and maybe an IO Extender? should cover all the IO you'd ever need?
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That appears to be the route I am likely to go.
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 29, 2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X