5.3 retro for idiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3 retro for idiots

Hey guys I just got a line on a 5.3 with a rod knock, and I think it will be cheap. The intake is cracked from the engine swap but everything is there. Thunderbird and I have been toying with the idea of a 5.3 in my 83 Camaro. How hard would this be? Can I do this cheap? (like a few hundred after I buy the motor) I've already got a 350 and 700r4 I was going to install but the 5.3 already has the EFI and I think this would be better than putting a L98 top end on my 350. I really want to go EFI so what do you guys think????

Re: 5.3 retro for idiots

Can't you just use a rod from the 350 and use some 80 gritt to fix the crank?

Comment

Do it.....5.3's are great motors.

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

See Shawn they shut this motor down before the rod came out the side!! ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P
        I think it will be cool, as long as I can do it on the cheap. I don't know what I'll need. Fuel pump, wiring, ect

Comment

yeah, I saw that earlier tonight. I think I'll be able to get that one from Art cheap.

Comment

Yeah but the rod knock means, get crank ground, new bearing, and more likley than not a new rod, new rings (or evan new pistons + boring) also intake is good on this one. This maybe cheeper evan if the other one was given to you (but who knows this one could be just as bad at least you know what your getting)

Comment

I found an intake w/ injectors and a t-body for $130 shipped to my house. I gotta call Art and see what he needs for the motor. He needed me to machine some parts for him so maybe we can do some horse trading. ;)

Comment

Man that could work out well, I need to find info on that Fairmont

Comment

MY dad got a 5.3 from a wrecking yard near Dallas with 35,000 miles on it for $850 I think. It was complete with intake, injectors, all front accessories, wiring, computer, etc.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

The motor I can get has all the injectors, coil packs, intake, throttle body, but I don't think it has all of the accessories. It doesn't have all the wiring or computer, but I had been thinking this would be a great way to get in to ms and learn how to tune with electronics.

Comment

Working...
                    X