Megasquirt II/Extra and Hilborn 8-stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt II/Extra and Hilborn 8-stacks

I have a Hilborn 8-stack EFI casting and a Megasquirt II/Extra. After reading through most of the MegaManual it seems as of it would be a simple conversion to a manifold that has no IAC but can provide input to a MAP sensor. I plan for it to be used for fuel only, and I have the Innovate LM-2 wideband that I got with the MSII to sniff output.

Dieselgeek - I know you've done a ton of MS stuff, has anybody ever asked you to set up a set of stacks?

(and yes, the sharp-eyed amongst you will notice that the injector stacks are switched side-to-side - this is as it showed up via eBay. Why the injectors were pointed at the manifold casting instead of the valve, I cannot say. I do not intend to run it as shown, they are already flipped around)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141230_183917.jpeg
Views:	509
Size:	855.8 KB
ID:	999598
    Last edited by 99_ls1; January 16, 2015, 03:00 PM. Reason: The injectors were pointing at the manifold casting, not the head casting...
    Livin the dream

Scott is much better able to give you specifics than I. I am using MSII for fuel only for a blown/bugcatcher application. Strongly recommend the use of the IAT if possible. Contact Fran at Fox engineering on the web, he has set these up before and is very good.

Comment

How do you plan on referencing for the MAP sensor?
      The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Hilborn actually produces the EFI manifolds with a vacumn kit. The manifold has spacer blocks under the 4 stacks that have brass vacuum taps for each hole. Then a central block bolted in the center of the manifold provides the MAP source by joining the 8 taps together. They are not really visible in that picture because the stacks and spacers are flipped side to side and they are pointing in... but they're there. I did not get the vacuum kit with the manifold, and have to put something together.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I know Bob Beedy used to tie all his stacks together thru an extra pipe tap each stack to equalize pressure. He just used plastic tubing with quick connects. I know its alot of plumbing to go thru, but if you can connect them somehow to an IAC at a common source it might be enough. Might need to do some reduced sizes so it draws equally..

Comment

Originally posted by 99_ls1 View Post
            Dieselgeek - I know you've done a ton of MS stuff, has anybody ever asked you to set up a set of stacks?
            Lots of times.

MS2-Extra allows you to do MAP sample windowing, which means "pick the crank angle your MAP signal is used for load reference" so nowadays a vacuum reservoir or signals from all 8 runners isn't even required. Although, most of the ones I have tuned, used 8 vacuum signals tied together and perhaps a small plenum. Do the 8 signals if you have the option, since that's more common IMO.

The trick with stacks has little or nothing to do with the EFI tuning - it's getting the throttle blades to stay sync'd both cold, and warm. I think the hottest ticket for EFI stacks like yours, is to upgrade to sequential EFI (you'd need a MS3 CPU and MS3X expansion card), so that you can have the throttles sync'd for a warm engine, and then use fuel trims per cylinder to compensate for the conditions when the engine is cold.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
            X