Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state of disrepair is your car in..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadent56 View Post
    Well....my world record is 13.26 at 106. Nothing to brag on the web about but the potential is there to get it into the 12s or maybe high 11s.
    After last year I discovered the factory throw out bearing fork had cracks In it that made my Tremec seem to be a nightmare to shift.
    I have that sorted out now and can put together a pass with actual gear changes from one stripe to the other
    Reading the rules I see the 5 point picture but it is still a ragtop and 6 points look more stable. Not to mention stiffening up the whole car. What I don't see is the et it will tech at with 5 or 6 or 8 points.
    You do not need a cage, so stick to the roll bar. I'd strongly recomend that use swing out bars for the front facing diagonal down door bars. Use the 3/8's thick clevices for the simplest set of connections. I remove the door bars for the driving portions of DW. Buy the SFI spec half round pads for the parts of the cage near yours and your passengers' heads.
    Your rear bars have to be at 30 dgrees or greater from the vertical main hoop so you can run them between the back seat bottom and the seat back. No cutting of the seats them selves required. Your cross bar must be welded to the main hoop and the height should be just below your shoulder height when seated in the car and you have to have a headrest suiable for use with your helmet on; it can be bolt on. if it were my car at your ET I'd be doing this with a bolt in bar. buy or borrow an NHRA rule book. Have any welding done by someone who knows what they are doing, hopefully that is you, but if not remember your life may depend on it.

Convertables are fun but they make stupid race cars. Ask me how I know.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

The door bars...swing out would be nice, but it's not necessary. I have a bolt in door bar on my 55, and for DW I just left it in place all week. But I"m not as big as Bill......so you might want to consider your own agility before making up your mind.
      Last edited by squirrel; August 11, 2015, 02:09 PM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I call them my fat bars
        Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
        Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
        Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Well gang it's over. The Nova isn't done and the Camaro doesn't run. So I'm out. Maybe something will get finished before the fall Dragweek. I haven't notified HR because I'm looking for a Loaner car!
          Last edited by Chad's Dad; August 14, 2015, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Damn it Walt, I was really looking forward to seeing the Camaro.

My junk keeps getting further from ready on a daily basis (eg. discovered I twisted the trans main shaft yesterday) but I'm going to throw together whatever I have (including using the old junk engine) to get to Gateway, even if I know it's all just going to blow up the first day.

Comment

Well went and picked up my t 400 and converter etc, get it home and it was built in the wrong case, jaguar instead of amc damn. Oh well Its not like I dont have all the other stuff to \work on, rear will be in it tomorrow or else dammit
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Chad's Dad View Post
                Well gang it's over. The Nova isn't done and the Camaro doesn't run. So I'm out. Maybe something will get finished before the fall Dragweek. I haven't notified HR because I'm looking for a Loaner car!
                Damn Walt! That Sucks! I'm sorry I can't help with the loaner car as it's plan B and it's the engine donor for plan A, and its a Ford.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Damn it Walt, I was really looking forward to seeing the Camaro.

My junk keeps getting further from ready on a daily basis (eg. discovered I twisted the trans main shaft yesterday) but I'm going to throw together whatever I have (including using the old junk engine) to get to Gateway, even if I know it's all just going to blow up the first day.
                  Wolf, I don't think I've had the plaeasure of meeting you, but anybody who will throw together their junk and get from Manitoba, freaking Canada, to St. Louis, IL, just to see if it lives is a hero in my book. I hope to see you there.

Comment

Well I finally got the front end back on the car.... might have
                    it running in a few days... that doesnt mean its gonna move
                    on its own.... but I'll see in a few days

Comment

• I finally got the headers built and car fired up with no exhaust leaks on July 4th weekend. Then we spent about a month sorting out some brake issues and working down the list so we finally drove it last weekend. We're planning on doing a practice run to Mokan next weekend which is about 190 miles from here. Most of the list's remaining items need to be done before Mokan so that gives us a little cushion between then and DW. I can't believe it's less than a month away. I hope to see everybody then! Ramble on!

Comment

• Tulsa is just 12 miles down the road and I haven't had the time to test anything. Drag Week is the one week I take off to enjoy a little rest and relaxation..............VERY LITTLE rest and relaxation.
                        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

• Rest and relaxation....LOL!

Mine is ready to go now. A few little things I'd like to do to it before DW but nothing critical. I'm sure some big issue will come up soon....
                          Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                          Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

• Yesterday figure I need to assemble rear so started by putting in pinion, mount ring gear to spool and drop it in to start checking patterns and it wont go, take it out and compare to the 3 series stock carrier and it turns out this is a 4 series even though its marked 3, search in town no where has a 4 series. Online will take a few days at best so I chuck it up in the brake lathe but it doesn't true up as good as I like so off to my buddy that has a lathe, mount it and remove .200 from one side and make a .200 shim for other side.

Today I set it up and it works great, and if I ever want to put 4.56 or more gears later I can.
                            Last edited by tsanchez; August 17, 2015, 08:31 AM.
                            Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Hell I went to put the head lights in today and one of the trim rings
                              that holds the light in is broke... just the mounting holes but now
                              I have to epoxy that up... I'm waiting for that to dry now... so tomorrow
                              I should have the front together... then just put the headers back on
                              and a couple of other minor things... hopefully it'll be running by Tuesday..
                              that engine falling on the front end sure screwed up more than I thought
                              but its getting there.... I sure hope it runs and moves on its own power..
                              if it doesnt I'm gonna call it quits

Comment

• I'm onto the little stuff. I need to replace the seals in the exhaust cutouts and re-install them, I have a seat cover coming in the mail that I hope fits well enough to use, I want to make some seat belt clips to keep the shoulder belt from flapping in the wind and beating my neck to death (and my wife's, which seems worse for her being shorter than I), install new o-rings in the A/C system and vacuum it down then charge it, and I want to make a few updates to the digital dash display. Just minor tweaks in layout and color.

Then as some preventative maintenance measures I'll double check the transmission and differential fluid levels AND I'm going to change the front wheel bearings again just for my own piece of mine

I need to start assembling a tool set to take with me as well.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X