Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lot's of new tire choices, what is the best for my application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lot's of new tire choices, what is the best for my application?

Hey folks, looking for some tire advice. For the last several years I've run the Hoosier 325/50 Drag Radial with good results on the 4200# '71 convertible. Now on the 3200# Fox body I'm reconsidering choices, especially with all the new M/T's. I will be swapping rear tires for the track and this is an automatic footbrake deal. 1000 and change HP, 3 speed AOD trans 3.50 rear gear. Ideas?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Hi Bill, I sure would take a good look at the ET Pro 2.75-60. If a 28" tire is what size you need. Hear all good about it and with a much lighter car the tire should be more than enough. I am quite sure Mark S. in the Grand Prix ran it at the track and ET streets on the drive.
    Last edited by BlackGTO; July 15, 2015, 07:42 AM.
    First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
    Second place SSBBNA 2016
    Third place SSBBNA 2017
    Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
    All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

If its the big green P Grand Prix I though he ran the 315/60's but I oculd be wrong. Everybody is on the M/T 275 Radial Pro bandwagon.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I've heard the MT pro is a great tire on a good track but marginal on a sh!tty track. Has to dead hook or won't recover. Based on that advice from a few friends, I stuck with Hoosiers.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
          If its the big green P Grand Prix I though he ran the 315/60's but I oculd be wrong. Everybody is on the M/T 275 Radial Pro bandwagon.
          Or 3.25/50's. Fast gold Grand Prix from east coast. Sussino?
          First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
          Second place SSBBNA 2016
          Third place SSBBNA 2017
          Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
          All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

I think Slimbo with the Grand Carlo is on pros as well.

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Hooter View Post
              I've heard the MT pro is a great tire on a good track but marginal on a sh!tty track. Has to dead hook or won't recover. Based on that advice from a few friends, I stuck with Hoosiers.

From what I understand that holds true with any drag radial tire. I run a 275/50 MT Radial and couldn't be happier, I am not sure it could spin the tires in a puddle of soap LOL.
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

With a very minimal tuning time window before DW, I would be very tempted to run a regular 28-10.5S slick or something else that is very forgiving. Sacrifice a little bit of ET in order to make laps.

I have never had much luck with MT drag radials. Spin, pedal, hook, haul ass is the norm for those.

However, your chassis tuning resources, both in terms of counsel and equipment are more extensive than mine, so it may be a non-issue.
                Last edited by BBR; July 16, 2015, 06:09 AM.
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Bill, my two cents says after two decades of trying every option available, Phoenix F/X slicks provide the most consistent, reliable traction. The max width my car will accept is 10.5". As pointed out earlier, drag radials can be effective however if conditions slip a bit, so does the tire. Also, they don't grow at the back half of the track. Our ratings ended up looking like this: 5) radials (any and all), 5) M/T (any and all), 3) Goodrich (slicks), 2) Hoosier slicks, 1) Phoenix. @ 15 psi. The only test platform has been my car but the owner of Cal-Tracs lists these options approximately the same. Two cents. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Comment

I've nearly exclusively ran MT 275 Pros for 2 years. I've ran 8.24 on an absolsolute shit track with zero rubber on the starting line. mine recovers fine, but you have to use the skinny pedal as a rheostat and mines on leaf springs which seem to recover better than other suspension designs. I also went a 5.34 to the 1/8 on the new Hoosier 235/60, 2nd pass on 235's on a 3700# street car. I'd say their new 275 is REALLY good too. Not bragging but a 3700# 1400whp transbrake car is hard on tires.

Comment

This has been an educational thread, thank you to all who took the time to share you experience. It took me several season's to get the silver barge to leave consistently on a variety of tracks with the 325/50's and I'm hoping to shorten the learning curve this time. If we get time I'll try out last season's 325/50's and another set regular MT 275/50's to get a feel before buying the tires for the bead lock wheels. If not, I'll let you know when we get them.

Comment

The 275 pro is my tire of choice bill. 3880 pounds and I've been 1.29 on them. They are way more forgiving than the standard mt drag radial but they are still a radial and don't recover like a slick. Ya gotta dead hook it.
                        Last edited by slimbo5; July 30, 2015, 11:33 PM.
                        "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

I went the conservative route and bought the new redesigned Hoosier 325/50's. I did that after talking to bunch of folks and assessing the state of my testing/preparation which will equal zero.
                          My drive time tires are going to be Nitto 555R 325/50's as I had very good luck with a set of the 305/45/18's on the convertable as daily driver tires. This way I have somewhat suitable spares and we can roll in make a lap and go if we are running in 14th place for what ever reason. I can always switch to the 275 Pro's after the car is sorted as I'm running 15x 10 bead lock wheels for the race track. I'm brining my old front runner set up as spares for the front or if we need to pick up a few .01's ET.

Comment

With that much power on a small tire bias ply stiff side wall Hoosiers or MTs would be my choice. I want to watch how you do with those radials.
                            Dave
                            69 Mustang ProStreet
                            70 Torino

Comment

275 Pros for the win! I've tried all the Hoosier and M/T 28" tall tires and the Pros are by far the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X