Bucket of broken parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket of broken parts

What did you fix to finish. I rode shotgun in Randy Belehar's 68 Firebird and we had some repairs along the way. 1 Rocker stud, 2 rocker arms, 4 valve springs, a little welding on the rear shock mount and change transmission which didn't work the first time so we had to take it out and put it back in twice. While changing one of the valve springs the piston was a little out of position so we ended up pulling one of the heads.
    Drag week 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18
    Power Tour 97,98,99,00,02,04,05
    Street Machine Nats 79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93

I saw the piston slightly out of position...that was painful to watch...

We don't really have many broke parts, just a blower belt missing half the teeth.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Changed out the trans on Wednesday night. Other than that and the car running slow everything went fine. haha
      Fantastic first trip. Thanks again to everybody for the support.DW2015---021.jpg

Comment

I don't have a picture of it, but I have one exhaust cut out that I think some road debris mangled. One wire was broke and the motor and gear box mechanism look like it was forcibly pulled from the butterfly assembly. I need to take a better look to verify, could be something stupid like I left something loose when I reassembled it, but the casual glance looks like it was hit by something. Likewise with the trailer light that broke, but I'm 99% sure of what I ran over that did it.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

torched a head gasket on the maiden voyage Friday night. fixed it Saturday and headed up.

plug that holds the oil pump bypass spring shot out into the pan Monday morning at the hotel when I fired it to head to the drivers meeting. got the car back to the pits by the time impound started. managed to get the pump and various parts out of the pan and got to the lanes after 2pm Monday. second to last car to run. no pictures of that due to the thrash.

rear axle worked its way loose on the passenger side coming in to Moline hotel. unsure of how they came loose, but the tire sure wasn't centered in the wheel opening.

detonated a bit at cordova and stripped the wing nut out when it popped into the intake. found the hat and wing nut jammed against the hood when I opened it. and found some sparkles on the plugs. close call.

pretty smooth sailing other than that. easier than last year!
          1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

I got off easy, starter and wheel stud on registration day. Then on day two fuel pump and hose clamp. Day four had to pull the radiator to hose off the mud from the ditch I happen to find myself in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	car ditch.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1059584

Drag Week 2014 Broke down on the drive to Tulsa https://www.bangshift.com/forum/core...y-angry019.gif
            Drag Week 2015 Street Machine Eliminator Finished
            Drag Week 2016 out day one, better luck next year I hope
            Drag Week 2017 out day one second pass trans went, next year in question https://www.bangshift.com/forum/core...y-angry034.gif

Comment

Good job to all! I have been very fortunate to have made it through 2 Drag Weeks now without issue. I know the odds are going to catch up with me sooner or later....later is fine with me!
              Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
              Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

My starter died in the registration line, so I had to push through the registration line and fix the starter before the test and tune. Done that before, unfortunately. Then at various points throughout the week I had to rewire the crank sensor, fix a loose Watts linkage (that caused the driveshaft to hit the loop, creating a horrendous metal shearing noise), replace a rocker arm, fix a leaking fuel injector, re-wire the feed to the electric water pump (after first cleverly replacing the pump, only to find out it was not the problem), and replace the Aeromotive fuel pump. This was actually pretty minor carnage, compared to some previous Drag Weeks...

Comment

It was great to see you make it through the week, Jay!
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yes, it was about time! Congrats to you too, Jim, for your stellar performance

Comment

Axle stud at Cordova. After leaving Cordova, comp roller lifter wheel exploded taking out cam. Pulled the rocker, pushrod and spark plug trying to limp to Gateway on. 7 cylinders. Started losing oil pressure from debris in pan. Had to bow out. Almost made it. That open cylinder sure made quite the racket.

Comment

The remains of my lifter
                        Last edited by Hooter; September 24, 2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Where do I start? First starter at Indy, then both head gaskets leaving great lakes dragway, then clutch (replaced in St Louis, all night affair) also had to weld up a shock mount in St Louis. A lot of work in one week but I finished so that counts for something!

Comment

Originally posted by mprhound View Post
                            Where do I start? First starter at Indy, then both head gaskets leaving great lakes dragway, then clutch (replaced in St Louis, all night affair) also had to weld up a shock mount in St Louis. A lot of work in one week but I finished so that counts for something!

It counts for everything! Good job!

Bill

Comment

This year mine ate up the rocker arm adjusters on #2 during the drive to Union Grobe. I should have caught it at Indy when I checked the lash and they were the only ones that were loose. They got louder as the day went on and we pulled over the check them, very worn down. We looked at the pushrods through the hole in the rocker arm(shaft mount rockers) and decided they looked OK so in with the new adjusters and it was ready to go. Then We pulled over about ten miles later and replaced the pushrods on that cylinder and they were just as tore up as the adjusters. Not real sure why the failure happened but it lived the rest of the week just fine. If this motor does another drag week it is getting all new adjusters and probably pushrods since I have another set. To be on the safe side we stopped in Manteno and changed the oil and filter in the NAPA parking lot.

Then right before second round of the street machine eliminator I went to hit the start button and it disappeared. The nut holding it on had worked loose and somehow I had not noticed it. I fumbled for it under the shifter and squeezed it to fire it up. I then got the holeshot but the car could't run its number and I was out in round #2 by .0175 to the big ranchero. Then on the return road the loose starter button grounded out and burnt the wiring up by my shifter. Some kids from the stands helped me push it back a good ways and my Dad brought the trailer over and we loaded it up. Its still at my Dads house lol, I need to fix a little bit of wiring and it will be good to go.

Thanks to Megasquirt and DIYAUTOTUNE I was not stuck on the side of the road with ignition problems this year!

Can you see which one of these adjusters is new and which one might have caused some lash to develop? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	658.6 KB
ID:	1059917
                              Last edited by BlueCuda340; September 25, 2015, 08:19 PM.
                              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Working...
                              X