2016 DW build! Will I ever make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 DW build! Will I ever make it?

Been a fan since Pump Gas Drags but I can never seem to make the time to get a car finished, so I just sit in front of the computer all week watching live feed wondering if it will ever happen. Like most, I'm a busy guy juggling business and family, I spend most of my racing time with my kids, been racing Jr Dragsters for years. I always figured I would run DD (now street machine elim) with my 2005 GTO. I thought 2015 was my year till a family member became ill and sidelined my projects (I have too many projects) so now I'm looking to score in 2016. I work outside in the FL heat and I'm outta gas in the summer months so winter is when I tackle projects. I'll post some photos as to where I have made it so far and then hopefully update through getting it running then some testing for DW 2016. Here is the car before it was disassembled (broken trans.) twin turbo 6.0ls 610whp 26mpg. Todd Greene

Parts: I'll start with the trans. My main issue with the car was the trans., I kept breaking synchro rings so I sent the trans. to Liberty's and had them use a TR6060 case so it had the factory gearset sprayer. Viper mainshaft, 300m input, everything REM polished and cryoed and faceplated 1-4.
    RXT twin disc clutch, Billet flywheel, Quicktime bell, Mcleod hyd slave, Tilton master, braided lines and bleeder.

Comment

Pics

Comment

My magic 8 ball sez..."outlook not so good!"

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
          My magic 8 ball sez..."outlook not so good!"
          Unfortunately mine is in sync with yours... but I must forge on!

Comment

As of a week ago I took the car to a chassis shop 'cause I guess I'm gonna need a roll bar. While its there hes going to install BMR frame connectors, mini tubs and coil over shocks so I can get a bit more tire on it. I also have an IRS 9" new axles, stubs and a 1 piece driveshaft.

Comment

List every single task that needs to be completed, attach a hour value to each task. Whatever time you think each task will take, double it. Ad up the total hours. Plan to have the car done april 1st. Figure out how many hours you need to work each week to get it done. Diligently follow the plan. Then Saturday morning of Drag Week 2016, you will fire the engine for the 1st time, drive the car into the trailer, and hope for a good first pass on sunday.

Comment

I like Joel's advice. I would go 3 or 4 times your estimated time (and cost), though.

When I built my Chevy II, I had the idea for the car driving home from DW13. Got the car in November, and my goal was to have it done by May. I actually had it driving at the end of may, but not finished until August 2014. I did have a couple months of driving/racing/troubleshooting which really helped a lot.

Most folks don't have the luxury of being able to work on their car all day during the week...YMMV. But then again, you're starting with a solid late model car, so you don't have to rebuild the whole body first!
                Last edited by squirrel; October 12, 2015, 09:37 AM.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                  List every single task that needs to be completed, attach a hour value to each task. Whatever time you think each task will take, double it. Ad up the total hours. Plan to have the car done april 1st. Figure out how many hours you need to work each week to get it done. Diligently follow the plan. Then Saturday morning of Drag Week 2016, you will fire the engine for the 1st time, drive the car into the trailer, and hope for a good first pass on sunday.
                  Ha ha that is exactly how it will go. My wife refers to it as "car time' whatever I say x 2.5.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    I like Joel's advice. I would go 3 or 4 times your estimated time (and cost), though.

When I built my Chevy II, I had the idea for the car driving home from DW13. Got the car in November, and my goal was to have it done by May. I actually had it driving at the end of may, but not finished until August 2014. I did have a couple months of driving/racing/troubleshooting which really helped a lot.

Most folks don't have the luxury of being able to work on their car all day during the week...YMMV. But then again, you're starting with a solid late model car, so you don't have to rebuild the whole body first!
                    I think the fact that I have 80% of the parts and zero bodywork to do is why I just may make it.

Comment

Shocks showed up today...

Comment

Just got this in a text, moving along...

Comment

Mini-tub on an 05 GTO...That's something you don't see every day!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                            Mini-tub on an 05 GTO...That's something you don't see every day!!
                            Not many of us out there dumb enough for it!

Comment

The biggest thing is keep at it, chipping away at the list, working out the problems, making a decision and acting on it. This from the guy who missed DW 15 by a couple days. Don't let 'down time' waiting on parts or labor or what ever slow your progress. Car in the chassis shop? Organize your Drag Week spares and what you'll pack or get those wheels and tires mounted and balanced or build your trailer. Little stuff not done at the end will kill you or at least have you sleep deprived before you get to the first track. I delayed getting the chassis aligned or even fully checked out for square before adding the 25.5 cage and as a result I ended up building in a 3/8's variation across the front suspension pick-up points side to side and had to move the steering rack mounts with two days left before we had to hit the road. That killed us and I could have addressed those issues months before. In 2014 I got the cage certed and renewed my license at Tulas the day of registration. They now have a rule against that sort of thing. Don't be this guy.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X