Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Week Prep

First time Drag Weeker...

Don't want to pull a trailer, but entertaining the idea of a hitch carrier to hold tires/tools/etc.

Still up in the air about racing/driving on the same tires. Currently running 325/50 Hoosier drag radials that only have 2 grooves as "tread".

What do people normally carry spares of?

Any nifty packing tips you care to share?

Which car are you taking... on the hitch with a carrier.. hope
    your springs will handle that weight... I dont think I will be
    changing tires.. I'm running 295/55 DR.. being a mopar you
    need to carry most of the stuff that you might have any issue
    with... unlike the chevy guys they can borrow from each other
    or get it at K-mart
    EDIT
    I'm taking any of the special tools I need for my junk..plus
    starter
    alt
    a couple sets of lifters
    some push rods
    intake and head gaskets
    a few spare rockers
    thats just some of it
    IF I have a trans issue...that needs to be puled.. I'm done
    Last edited by MR P-BODY; March 10, 2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

66 Belv.
      basic RB stroker, mild cam, its been together a while. Slow, but easy on parts. 727/9.5" converter, 3.55's

Shouldn't need the hitch carrier unless I bring 2nd set of tires. Made the hitch a few months ago, slipped HF carrier in last night and put 2 315/60 DRs on steelies on it, then stood on it. Springs should be fine. IIRC 3800# SS Springs, car is only 34-3500.

Planning on bringing:
      alt (denso mini)
      fuel pump (have redundant walbro's in-tank, but will bring a 3rd just in case, maybe someone else will need it.)
      gaskets
      plugs
      coil
      carb stuff if I don't get the EFI on this summer
      oil change
      Jack/stands
      tire plug kit/compressor
      cordless drill/impact
      all the special tools

If I have any major issues, I'll throw the towel in. Not going to be competitive anyway...

Saw you car Downriver last year, but never bumped into you. Look forward to seeing you out there!
      Dave

Comment

You will not need a trailer with a 66 Belvedere. Plenty of room in the trunk and back seat area for what you will bring on Drag Week. HEMI Joel and I did it last year with his HEMI GTX Convert, and carried the slicks in the trunk.

Comment

Definitely not considering a trailer, but the trunk is a slightly occupied by a 22 gallon cell, battery, minitubs...So not much room for tires. I can fit the tools, etc, inside, just wanted to try to simplify things once I got to the track and not have to deal with unloading stuff crammed into the trunk and back seat. Don't have a confirmed trunk monkey yet, so it might be a one man show.

Comment

I made a tire carrier for my car to haul my slicks and put the rest of the stuff I needed in the trunk. I was running my '66 Galaxie which has a very large trunk too.
            Last edited by AlanCasida; March 9, 2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAWD View Post
              66 Belv.
              basic RB stroker, mild cam, its been together a while. Slow, but easy on parts. 727/9.5" converter, 3.55's

Shouldn't need the hitch carrier unless I bring 2nd set of tires. Made the hitch a few months ago, slipped HF carrier in last night and put 2 315/60 DRs on steelies on it, then stood on it. Springs should be fine. IIRC 3800# SS Springs, car is only 34-3500.

Planning on bringing:
              alt (denso mini)
              fuel pump (have redundant walbro's in-tank, but will bring a 3rd just in case, maybe someone else will need it.)
              gaskets
              plugs
              coil
              oil change
              Jack/stands
              tire plug kit/compressor
              cordless drill/impact
              all the special tools

If I have any major issues, I'll throw the towel in. Not going to be competitive anyway...

Saw you car Downriver last year, but never bumped into you. Look forward to seeing you out there!
              Dave
              That was the last time it ran.. per say.. the trans was going
              out on it then.. and a hole in the intake port of my one head
              so it started sucking in oil.. I hope its all fixed now

Comment

Ever consider a roof rack for the slicks? I've seen it done before and considered adding one to the rear hatch on my third gen. Ultimately I ran on my drag radials all week. Nitto NT555R, 275/50R15s.

Comment

I'm gonna drag a trailer.. 2 main reasons.. one.. I have
                  almost zero space in the cab.. I'm gonna put my clothes
                  in the cab.. everything else is going in the trailer.. second
                  is I want to just unhook and throw my bag in the trailer..
                  when I went with Dale(Quick52) the 3 times.. we had to
                  unload the bed and load it.. that was about 20 minutes each
                  time.. I'm LAZY so a quick unhook and done... we had talked
                  about doing a trailer on his truck.. but didnt

Comment

Planning on bringing:
                    alt (denso mini)
                    gaskets
                    plugs
                    coil
                    oil change
                    Jack/stands
                    tire plug kit/compressor
                    cordless drill/impact
                    all the special tools
                    I would also recommend extra belts...

Comment

325 drag radial is a lot of tire when it starts raining.

stock tank and front mounted battery help trunk space immensely....and loading/unloading doesn't really take too long once you get the hang of it. But we all know that real street cars tow trailers.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I run 325/50 Hoosiers on track and i have a tiny trunk so I use a modified HF trailer. I much prefer the drives on streetable rear tires.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I agree on the 325's in the rain. Unfortunately my spare rims are 10" with 315/60's drag radials mounted... haha.

I cant justify the $$$ they want for the new Sportsman radials.

I found 265/75-15 in a highway tread that are ~30" tall, which I would like with the lack of OD, but need to pick up some cheap steelies to mount them on. Might look odd, but then again so does having a hitch carrier...

Comment

I agree on the 325's in the rain. Unfortunately my spare rims are 10" with 315/60's drag radials mounted... haha.

I cant justify the $$$ they want for the new Sportsman radials.

I found 265/75-15 in a highway tread that are ~30" tall, which I would like with the lack of OD, but need to pick up some cheap steelies to mount them on. Might look odd, but then again so does having a hitch carrier...
                            Look at some of the Summit brand wheels.. they are pretty cheap
                            and you dont care about the weight on the road(they can be
                            a bit heavy).. I went with them for the looks and will suffer
                            on the weight... oh well
                            Last edited by MR P-BODY; March 11, 2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X