died.. after testing a few things I seen it didnt have spark.. even
    doing the "jump the dist leads,box side.. this is a MSD 7AL2) so
    I changed out the control box only to have the same results.. I
    had already changed the dist because I seen the pick up wires
    were pinched and possibly shorted... but in the end I had to change
    the coil.. I was a bit pissed.. it only had 500 miles on it.. I ordered up
    a new coil and other parts that I wanted.. with the coil on it fired right
    up.. I still need to set the timing.... my next project is gonna be a new
    gauge cluster... part of the stuff I bought was a speedo/gauge kit...
    so I'l start that in a day or so... alum panel with carbon fiber over it..
    when I finish I take a pic

Will your EFI system support ignition control? Could you go coil on plug?
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I believe he has a Holley system in the car, unless it's a different car he's talking about.
      If it is your drag week car I too would rec. going coil on or near plug ignition. I believe a couple guys chimed in just last week about those old style coils failing a lot.
      Which ever way you go I wish you good luck as you have definitely had enough of the other kind for a full season or two.

Mike Reichen

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
        Will your EFI system support ignition control? Could you go coil on plug?
        I dont want coil on plug... this is a LA 416... when I change to a
        gen 3 I will.... right now all the efi is controlling is the fuel... spark
        is locked
        Last edited by MR P-BODY; April 9, 2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Easy enough on an LA motor . That bad coil deal on drag week really scared me, now I have 8 of them. I should be able to lose 1/2 of them and still drive lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2932.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1096517

Comment

That ^^^^ looks great and I bet it works good too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 fast evo 2 View Post
              That ^^^^ looks great and I bet it works good too.

I ran the COP last year on drag week with a carb, I just put the first 80 or so miles on the full EFI this last weekend. So far so good, I need to work on a few things(accel enrichment and closed loop idle) but its doing great so far.

Comment

I ran the COP last year on drag week with a carb, I just put the first 80 or so miles on the full EFI this last weekend. So far so good, I need to work on a few things(accel enrichment and closed loop idle) but its doing great so far.
                If you dont mind.. what do you have into the 8 coils(dollar wise)..
                when I put a trigger wheel on my junk I will let the Holley control
                the timing.. but for now its locked at 38*
                EDIT
                this is still with my W-2s.. I fixed my W-5s and I hope to get them
                back on the engine prior to DW.. maybe at that time I will get a
                crank trigger on it
                Last edited by MR P-BODY; April 13, 2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Mike I bought those coils at a salvage yard $40. They are the GM truck coils which are some of the hottest factory coils out there. I bought a mount for them and bolted them to the valve cover, but you can whip up something for that I am sure.

For the crank trigger I used an MSD bracket and bought a blank sensor mount. I drilled and tapped that sensor mount for my crank sensor which is a Cherry hell effect sensor. I had a friend of mine cut out a 36-1 trigger wheel.

Last edited by BlueCuda340; April 14, 2016, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Mike I bought those coils at a salvage yard $40. They are the GM truck coils which are some of the hottest factory coils out there. I bought a mount for them and bolted them to the valve cover, but you can whip up something for that I am sure.

For the crank trigger I used an MSD bracket and bought a blank sensor mount. I drilled and tapped that sensor mount for my crank sensor which is a Cherry hell effect sensor. I had a friend of mine cut out a 36-1 trigger wheel.

How thick is that trigger ring.. I was thinking of just buying the whole
                    MSD unit when I get ready

Comment

I believe it is 1/8th, its thinner than most I have seen but the price was right haha. I have had it to 7000rpm with no sync loss.

I am sure you can use the MSD trigger setup but the resolution of the 36-1 wheel is better.

Comment

I believe it is 1/8th, its thinner than most I have seen but the price was right haha. I have had it to 7000rpm with no sync loss.

I am sure you can use the MSD trigger setup but the resolution of the 36-1 wheel is better.
                        I might build one... I dont know yet

Comment

I don't have the ability to do that and have anything decent looking lol. I borrowed my Dads crank trigger stuff to try out and then ordered the pieces I need from MSD. MSD was very reasonable on the individual pieces. I think I spent about $80 on the pieces from MSD you see in the picture. The trigger wheel was a buddy deal and the sensor was $70 with the wiring.

Comment

Trigger wheels can be purchased from companies like DIYAutoTune. https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sen...rigger-wheels/

Comment

I was doing the LAST thing on the new instrument cluster today..
                              had to drill a hole through the clear cover so I could press the
                              button on the speedo to set it... at the last moment... it cracked
                              the clear lens ... I'm gonna look at cutting it out and replacing it
                              with lexan or try getting a replacement for it... I think the lexan is
                              the better way to go... but for the time its getting the cracked part..
                              you cant really see its cracked but I know.....it will be replaced one
                              way or another.... just pisses me off... the LAST thing to do

Comment

Working...
                              X