Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Times. I keep reminding myself....I'm doing this for fun :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Times. I keep reminding myself....I'm doing this for fun :)

So here is how the weekend has gone...

4:45 PM Central time on Friday I go out to the warming up the car getting ready to see how well it spools up and start adjusting the boost controller and the car dies. Try restarting it and nothing. I shut power off to the ignition and on power up I notice that the fuel pump does not prime....I open the trunk try to jump the wires and the pump is locked up tight. I grab my phone to call Aeromotive and notice that it's now 5:02 PM they are closed CRAP! I start calling around and nobody is open and/or had stock on an EFI pump that would support the power I'm hoping to make. I finally pull the pump off bring it to the local shop to see what we can find. We pull it apart and can't see anything wrong, armature spins fine pump spins fine blah blah so we start to put it back together. Then something catches my eye, a small clip between the magnets has come loose and when you tighten everything up it gets wedged in the armature. Pull the clip and she spins fine and powers up Whoo Hooo!!! midnight and I'm rolling into the driveway with a fixed pump...or so I think.

Saturday, get the car together, power on the ECU, can hear the pump prime but no pressure !!! Here we go again....Drain the tank , pull the pump and after three hours of screwing around (I"m really good at disassembling and reassembling Aeromotive pumps now) and trying to "bench test" the pump I notice that air is blowing into INTO the gas can....I pull the pump apart to make sure we didn't wire it wrong check everything etc and all seems good. Sure enough, on an Aeromotive Pro series pump (or at least the one I have) the red wire inside the pump goes to the negative terminal, the Black goes to Positive!!!Really Put everything back together wire it up and it fires up right away! Boost starts coming in at 4000RPM and life is good!

Next, check the rear suspension to make sure all is all buttoned up and notice that the new shocks I had put on are riding on the bump stops. That's not right.... Well when I was running short on time I had a local shop redo my shock mounts to clear my new Afco shocks and when they put them on they never set the ride height....OOPS. yup, another unplanned item on the checklist. With the way my car is it's a bit of a pain to get the springs adjusted so off they come to get the ride height set and ready to scale and make final adjustments. It's looking like I'm coming up on my window of moving to Plan B-punt on the 67 Olds and take the Audi S4 and run in street.

It's street so it shouldn't be a problem right.....Well I track my Audi at places like Road America and it has some serious brakes up front that require a minimum of an 18" wheel to clear. As I read the rules for I notice that "All entries are required to use purpose-built drag-race drive tires on the track, including slicks, DOT-approved slicks (examples: Mickey Thompson ET Street, Hoosier Quick Time D.O.T), or drag radials (examples: Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial, Hoosier D.O.T Drag Radial, BFG Drag Radial, Nitto NT05R). No conventional treaded street tires." As luck would have it there is ONE tire that fits the requirement, will fit my car, and is available, a Nitto NT555R but it requires a new set of wheels to boot. Out comes the Discount Tire credit card and new wheels and tires are on order at a price that I'm not too happy about

To make sure all is good I take the Audi to the track today and it's just off from where it should be, by almost a second. I try changing the tune and nothing seems to help....guess what, I can't reach the tuner or anybody because it's labor day weekend. I walk into the stands to watch a few cars make some passes and a bee flies out of a garbage can, makes a line straight for my hand and stings me AGGGHHHH! even mother nature hates me this weekend!!!

So, I'll keep plugging away at the 67 because I really want to take that car but I'm not holding a lot of faith in the fact that it'll be done in time for me to even make test passes before Sunday. To boot I need to re-up my license meaning I'd be making license passes on Sunday which I'm not even sure if they would allow.....if not Plan B it is and at least I'll be riding in comfort.

Good Times and all I can do is laugh because these really are first world problems!

This is the kind of stuff that can only come from thrashing---especially for, but not necessarily including Drag Week.
    And it is entertainment for the rest of us.

Hope you can get it all set to go, maybe consider getting a spare pump too? Good Luck and as you say, have fun either way.

Comment

Amazing how it goes eh? Really puts meaning in "It's not the destination, its the journey." Of course the satisfaction of the journey generally only comes when you get to the destination.

Having my car fight me, then ultimately leave me hanging halfway to DW2013, catching a ride as another entrant's passenger was a nice consolation prize. It allowed me to see what all was going on in the pits and around versus working on the car and sitting in the staging lanes.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Amazing how it goes eh? Really puts meaning in "It's not the destination, its the journey." Of course the satisfaction of the journey generally only comes when you get to the destination.

Having my car fight me, then ultimately leave me hanging halfway to DW2013, catching a ride as another entrant's passenger was a nice consolation prize. It allowed me to see what all was going on in the pits and around versus working on the car and sitting in the staging lanes.
        That musta been awesome..

Comment

I have been very fortunate to only have small issues when we took the Judge. This year however has been a kick to the face. The 41 has had 9 passes in the last 3 weeks down the 1320.Everything from the passenger door flying open, to a leaking fuel regulator, to "the famous washer down the intake" incident and more has set me back alot of time. So as you would guess-I'm saying its ready....
          The other 2 cars of my group have also not been so lucky. 2 days ago was the 5th time we've had the trans out and fixing something on the 66 Cobra, which now has everything new in the drivetrain dept. The 65 nova, is just a high 12 car....not any faster, regardless of what we do-within reason, its a high 12 car. But.......we do it for fun.......any other reason would be insane....lol
          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
          DW- 12,16,17
          "Stay thirsty my friends"
          The worlds most interesting man

Comment

when does the fun start?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              when does the fun start?
              Starts for you today, doesn't it Jim? Safe travels my friend.
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Yes - everyone be safe to/from/during Dragweek !
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Ha! the saga continues...Gotta love it

FedEX dropped the ball and my Nitto Drag Radials for "Plan B" were still in Georgia this morning and not in Wisconsin like they were supposed to be. As a last ditch effort I called Hoosier directly to see what they had in stock because all the distributors had the 18" DOT drag radials on back order. They checked their production warehouse and they had a set of 4 245/40/18 tires for me! Yup, according to the rules all "Drive tires" need slicks/DOT slicks ad Plan B is All wheel drives so I needed 4 slicks.... The Warehouse manager drove to the production facility and picked up the tires and we were able to make arrangements to pick them up on my way to Ohio tomorrow...

Hoosier you Rock!!!

Now I just have to find a place to have them mounted on Sunday when I get to Columbus.

Comment

FedEx screwed me on a new throttle position sensor last year after mine died a week before leaving. Shipping companies blow in September.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Well, we made it, Hoosier came through, Central City Tire in Columbus Ohio mounted and balanced the slicks and we are ready to run!

Comment

To Indy!
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Back home and had a great time. "Plan B" ran a best of 12.273 with an average of 12.409 at a whopping 4190 lbs with Driver! A friend pulled up the final results and was quick to note that I beat Larry Dixon by .002 seconds....I'll let that one go to my head for now

Comment

Glad to hear you made it and had fun.. as normal I didnt make
                            it.. my other house was broke into and I had to go up there to
                            secure the place and talk with the cops and the insurance
                            company... they got about $7000 worth of stuff and busted a
                            front door.. that door will be $850 to replace

Comment

Working...
                            X