Leave a comment:

• malc
    replied
    Enjoying this tooooo much.
    Can't wait for updates......

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    updates are slowing because honestly, i just don't have time to keep up with everything, and i apologize for that.

Last week and this past weekend was crazy. The engine showed up and i shared that already. I spent some time figuring out what oil to use and I ended up being referred, by several people, to Driven Racing oil, which is Joe Gibbs with a new name. I talked with Lake Speed directly about it and he recommended the FR50, which is a 5w50 fully synthetic oil, after using his BR40 break-in oil. He also got me set up with some 75w140 for the rear. this stuff is killer. reading the material on it has me very confident in the oil. you can read more here. www.drivenracingoil.com

Saturday night before i hit the sack i sat down and hammered out a real list. This was everything i could think of before my eyelids shut, but i have added a few things since, and thankfully, began to actually cross some stuff off too.

the next order of business was the clutch actuation. honestly, this has been a bigger headache than the picture shows. all the aftermarket bells i've found so far use a clutch fork with a 9 o'clock position. well the thirdgen floor board is right in the way of that, and the factory t5 cars actually use a 7:30 position. I spent some time laying this out, trans was in and out a dozen times or more, and i finally came up with shortening the clutch fork, cutting a hole in the floor, and using this universal pull type slave, lol. it's a little hokey, but after spending some time getting the angles right last night, it's actually going to work really well.

yesterday, one of the most critical pieces showed up. you wanna talk about something that was worth the wait? holy crap this is a nice piece.

i also got all fluids in the car, brakes and clutch are both bled. I will be out there again tonight hammering away. i might just be crazy, but i intend to test this saturday

Leave a comment:

• wondermut
    replied
    You got it!

Leave a comment:

• Deucemopar
    replied
    Keep grinding man!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    weekly update. the engine bay is all basically done, and i've got the car rewired and added a few circuits for some street equipment. i was able to secure a front set of draglites for $125, and got new tires on them today for another $90. we are in the 11th hour and there is still a ton to do. Being a 1-man-band is making things go very slowly. I do have good news though, the engine is home
    here's some pics, then i'm off to go do more work.

tinzy aronson would be proud

Leave a comment:

• Deucemopar
    replied
    Looking great!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    well, good news

also, fresh white paint sure makes that purple pop!

i put the center section back in the rearend for the 2nd time this week when i realized the locking tabs for the side adjusters on the center were sitting next to my bench vise, lol. everything is in place now though and ready for fluid back there.

next big item for this week will be brake lines. i'm hoping to knock them out tomorrow after the girls go to bed.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    i'm trying guys! i'm putting in at least 2 hours every night after the girls go to bed. i could go longer but then end up with so little sleep that i'm a zombie the next day. i should have more parts showing up this week so i think i can get this thing pretty well ready for the engine by the end of the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Deucemopar
    replied
    Keep grinding man!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JERICOGTX
    replied
    The car is looking good Matt. Keep plugging away!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    i slaved all weekend. end result:

this week includes running new brake hardlines, getting the wiring figured out for the couple circuits i need to add for street equipment (wipers, horn, turn signals), getting the racepak in the car, a few gauges, and getting the rear axle all put back together. a ton of work truthfully, but i think i can do it all over the next week and this coming weekend, so long as i stay diligent.

Leave a comment:

• JERICOGTX
    replied
    Thanks for the brake info Matt, and the ad on FB. Keep the updates coming, and hopefully see you in about 6 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• wondermut
    replied
    That is horrible, glad you are ok. It could have been much worse. I normally wear a full face for this reason, I have had a few close calls myself.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Walter
    replied
    monday night i had an accident in the shop. while using the wire wheel on an angle grinder, the wire wheel caughtt he edge of a piece of the engine bay, ripped out of my hands and ricocheted off my face. it was running unfortunately and it road rashed my cheek up pretty good, as well as tore my lip. so i took tuesday off from the car.

however, here's where the engine bay is now. pretty happy with this.

hoping to have that in paint soon.

in other news, i got a new set of wheels and tires for the rear. 15x10 draglites with 6.5" back spacing for $150, then a set of 265/75/15 tires from the used tire shop down the street for $80 mounted and balanced. these are 30.6" tall. it should kill some rpm for sure. they're tight, but they fit

i spent the majority of last night getting the shop organized and formulating new plans of attack. here's to hoping for more progress soon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X