Now that we are in ... here is our car - 65 Barracuda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that we are in ... here is our car - 65 Barracuda

I didn't want to jinx us ... lol. I was sweating bullets banging keys this morning but we received our confirmation ... so here is our entry:

After attending Drag Week '16 last year as a participant watching a couple good friends (we followed everyone for all 6 days), it pushed me over ... wanted to get back on the track. Did some drag racing in late 80's/early 90's (nothing extreme ... but had a lot runs with street cars) - then military duties, family, life came along. Which was great but now the bug is back.

Our goal is to get to a 10.0 sec index runner. We didn't want to use any of the cars we own now (installing roll bars, etc.) and wanted something different. I'm getting back into racing to have some fun. Old enough to know to not be a numbskull approaching this ... lol. Just want something quick enough to enter certain events - but not the rocket ships I see now. WOW - how its changed past 25 years .. holy crap ... remember - I hadn't been to a drag strip since 1992 ... Just the first day DW of watching these cars I was like .. omfg ... wtf ... ;)

So we found locally a 1965 Barracuda that was built as strict drag car (11.5 sec) in mid 90s. They did a great job (and body is solid) but it's time to update it and shave 1.5 seconds.

We've been working on car since last October. I completely re-wired it, installed Speedwire relay and switch panels, Painless relays for all lights and accessories, horn, turn signals and flashers to get it registered for street. All the nuances and details of the interior and wiring system. The design is overkill a bit .. but I watched too many people with BS issues around this stuff and want to ensure that it is buttoned up.

Had originally a 360 (LA) with built TF, 5k stall, 4.56 Dana rear.

Now it's time to update/upgrade the motor/trans and their accessories/components. Again .. being different ... lol .. we decided on:

383 stroked to 431, Ross pistons, H beam rods, Scat 4340 crank, Trick Flow heads, Harland rocker arms, custom Bullet cam, solid roller, Melling oil pump, and Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT intake.

Specs on heads and cam: Trick Flow heads - 6161T784-C00. Combustion chamber 78cc/240cc intake runner/74cc exhaust runner /2.190" intake valve diameter/1.760" exhaust valve diameter
    Camshaft Howards Cams - 721883-08. DURATION: 263/269 (in/ex) at 050, advertised 295 int/301 exh, LIFT .675/.650, LSA 108 degrees, valve lash .022"

Meziere relocated (radiator mounted) water pump, 170 amp Mechman or Powermaster alternator, and Fuel Tech 5.0 EFI 500 system (rail). Also will take look at trans (refresh it) and install JW ultra bell SFI on trans

New stall converter and adding cal tracs.

​Plan is to get her done by end of April - then some seat time at T&T's, tuning ... run her on street a bit to see what we have. Final things then may be rear gear change if need be ... and all those million of other things that fall out when your testing.

​The engine builder and tuner is a Drag Week veteran .. actually won a few years back ... and he's obviously a racer and top tuner. So we have that going for us.

I'll get some pics up here as well soon.

​Knock wood - we look forward to meeting everyone ... last year I was impressed at this group ... awesome people .. even as a spectator they treated you well, were nice and helped with questions ... just fantastic experience!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pumkin inside1 - post.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1148220 Click image for larger version

Name:	pumkin front2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1148208

Name:	pumkin front3 crpd.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1148209

Outside shots
    Last edited by Deucemopar; March 4, 2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Name:	wiring final dash1 post.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1148240

More shots coming up.

Last edited by Deucemopar; March 4, 2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Well that looks badass man. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Mike Reichen

Comment

Name:	wiring final driver seat1 post.JPG
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1148229

Name:	1new crank post.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1148230

Name:	1newpistons post.JPG
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1148231

​Wired up (detail not completed - still need FI system wired .. so waiting to do final tie ups, etc)
          Last edited by Deucemopar; March 4, 2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 fast evo 2 View Post
            Well that looks badass man. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Mike Reichen
            ​Thanks Mike! I love the old raked look (ya - I'm older ... lol). But - we've got new drag radials coming in (275's) .. so we'll have to mount them, take some measurements and get with Calvert. I think the new size meats with fit in the wheel well, so the rear will come down ... functionality is gonna have to beat looks I guess in the end ... lol

​It's tubbed - but those M/T hang out to the edge .. they don't snuggle in the wheel well lip ..
            Last edited by Deucemopar; March 4, 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Been a Chevy guy all my life, but that is one bad ass looking Cuda.

I've got a similar story to yours, but got the bug a few years back. Going the easy route with Street Eliminator my first year. I'll look for you out there and say hello!

Comment

Originally posted by bigsapper View Post
                Been a Chevy guy all my life, but that is one bad ass looking Cuda.

I've got a similar story to yours, but got the bug a few years back. Going the easy route with Street Eliminator my first year. I'll look for you out there and say hello!
                ​Thanks! Funny - I would have never purposely chosen a 1st gen A-body Barracuda. It came down to proximity to where we live (so could see in person), its set up (so any costs to adapt to strip/street car was minimized) and overall condition/cost drove the decision. Then the more and more I looked at it and worked on it, it becomes endearing. lol

​We registered in Street Eliminator too. We're just doing this for the fun and challenge. Definitely have to find each other .. we will!!!

Comment

Looks like a fun ride! I like the little big block, I have a 427 in my Chevy II.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What part of VA are you in? I grew up just on the other side of Danville, back when you could cruise Riverside Drive.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      Looks like a fun ride! I like the little big block, I have a 427 in my Chevy II.
                      Thanks! I think I remember seeing you last year at DW .. see you again!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        What part of VA are you in? I grew up just on the other side of Danville, back when you could cruise Riverside Drive.
                        Near Manassas. Didn't grow up here ... but have been in the area 15 years now. Yankee by birth, Country by choice ... lol... but still want to move further south eventually. Too close to DC, No VA and all crap with it. Lol

Comment

Looks good! Keep us posted on your progress.
                          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by 340Cuda View Post
                            Looks good! Keep us posted on your progress.
                            Bill
                            Thanks Bill. Will do. Going to run over to the shop tomorrow to discuss transmission plan. I'd really like to keep it all Mopar. So probably get it refreshed with upgraded sprag, steel drum, etc. We're trying to be careful not to set up situation where a year from now we start wanting to "upgrade' and double spend .. but that's probably inevitable no matter how hard you try .. lol.

Comment

Good luck with that plan!
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X