Drag Week rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Week rookie

First post here on Bangshift though I have been doing a lot of reading here lately!
    Just wanted to introduce myself and say hey to everyone. After thinking someday for many years I finally got the Drag Week bug big time after meeting a few people in the classic hotel parking lot the night before thing and going to the track the next day to watch. After a tense 5 minutes online with my wife and I both trying I was lucky to get in, thanks Squirrel for the tips!!
    I''m planning on being in Street machine eliminater and just trying to survive the week and have some fun doing it.

Welcome, new guy! Henceforth, and for the rest of the foreseeable future, you will be addicted to Drag Week!
    Last edited by Hemi Joel; March 23, 2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

You will absolutely love and hate it all at the same time! This will be my 2nd so I am no expert, just get the car dialed in as much as possible for the drives track to track. Eat and sleep as much as you can, you never know when your next meal/rest will be!

Comment

Good Morning Everyone,

been a follower here for years and just signed up to let you know I am in for my first Drag week as well. After watching on line for the last few years decided to give it a shot! I am #8 on the waiting list but pretty sure that I will get in. I am going to run the street machine eliminator class but the goal is to just finish the week! I am taking my first maiden voyage in the 1955 this weekend, Orlando to Punta Gorda to Muscle car city...300 mile round trip! See what happens, first of many pre Drag Week shakedowns!
        Last edited by Hilbert; March 24, 2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!!!
          Always been intimidated by the level of the cars and knowledge of the people involved so it's somewhat comforting to see that there are others out there that are doing it for the first time too.
          Ordered some parts last night and have many more orders to go, then the testing begins.
          Got a feeling my credit card is goiing to take a beating haha

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy71 View Post
            Thanks for the welcome!!!
            Always been intimidated by the level of the cars and knowledge of the people involved so it's somewhat comforting to see that there are others out there that are doing it for the first time too.
            Ordered some parts last night and have many more orders to go, then the testing begins.
            Got a feeling my credit card is goiing to take a beating haha
            Yea, I stopped counting $ when I was over budget by double lol

Comment

Welcome Tommy71 and Hilbert, Like Wondermut said, you Will love and hate it all depends on you experiances. And probably hooked as HemiJoe said. Common sense and preparation help a lot, of course what happens many times didn't even get a thought. The unexpected usually wins. Depends also on how radical /streetable your cars are and how you prepare. Good Luck.
              First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
              Second place SSBBNA 2016
              Third place SSBBNA 2017
              Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
              All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

i'm in the same boat on the budget. i just keep throwing money at the CC to keep it off it's limit, lol.
                http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
                Join The Militia

Comment

Lol, probably a bad idea to total it up till after it's over

Comment

Originally posted by wondermut View Post
                    Yea, I stopped counting $ when I was over budget by double lol
                    I'm well over the budget already just in parts. Lol. I was warned - but I never listen anyway.

Comment

Tommie71.. welcome.. glad to see another mich person.. I have
                      been 3 time with my buddy.. this year I will try.. I'm on the
                      waiting list but will probably just show up.. I have 2 choices
                      for entry.. unlimited or SME being my car is a tube chassis car..
                      hope to see you there
                      EDIT
                      What budget.. I blew that a few years ago building this POS
                      Last edited by MR P-BODY; March 25, 2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

1st timer here too.!! one of our problems will be carrying stuff...my rollbar prevents us from putting tires in back seat erea and trunk has a cell...so a carrier out the back will be the plan!!..i'm hoping that does change the handling of my pos to much! lol...as a newbie...axcited as hell and nervous as hell!!

Comment

Thanks Mr P- Body, hope you can make it in. Looks like there are a lot of cars from Michigan which is cool.
                          Made my first trip over to your side of the state to Millan last year to a lights out event and wow, lots of awesome cars over there.

Comment

Originally posted by 55chebby View Post
                            1st timer here too.!! one of our problems will be carrying stuff...my rollbar prevents us from putting tires in back seat erea and trunk has a cell...so a carrier out the back will be the plan!!..i'm hoping that does change the handling of my pos to much! lol...as a newbie...axcited as hell and nervous as hell!!

Feeling the same way about the nervousness. I've got lots of room to carry stuff but can't decide right now if I should try and do the whole thing on drag radials or change tires, or what else to bring. Reminds me of backpacking, you want to bring all this stuff you "might" need but heck you can only carry so much 😃

Comment

In same boat for carrying stuff. No real room. I was thinking of this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Tr...railer/3680952

It will fit drag radials so we can drive on street tires and use some containers to store extra stuff, tools, jack, etc. Saw lots of cars with small trailers like this last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X