Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting closer. Who is still planning on going???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes i'm running the m/t ss also but i have a set of street rubber thats 2 inches taller than my 275/60's? idk i have driven my dr's in the rain ? i survived lol..veterans feel free to chime in..i was kinda talked into running a street tire by non DW peeps?

Comment

I have run DW twice. The first time I started with a set of street tires and a pair of DRs. On day 2, I got tired of changing tires and ran the rest of the event on DRs. The second time I did not take a pair of street tires at all. DRs are fine on the street- even with a spool. In 2013, we ran thru several showers, a couple pretty harsh. Did I hydroplane? Yes- once right beside an 18 wheeler doing 65 MPH. But it was recoverable and I kept going. If it is a small shower, a lot of guys pull over and wait it out. If it is long term, just slow down. The road section is not a race, so no one cares if you get to the hotel first or last.

My DRs have around 2500 miles on them now and are still in good condition, if you are worried about wear. This is on a 1965 Chevy C10 in street machine eliminator. I would be willing to run them at the next DW when I go back.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I'm also running mt 275/60 dr. After thinking about it I decided to get a set of regular radial ta's to drive between tracks. There's the whole rain thing, and also was thinking that if something happened to one of the Dr's on the road how hard would it be to find a replacement that fast.

Comment

yea i'm really on the fence ..if i could fit them in the trunk or back seat..i wouldnt worry, but hanging out the back where i cant see them very well..might add one more thing to worry about! lol..the car has never really had regular tires on it...i was also thinking about needing one on the road but idk again maybe i'm overthinking this

Comment

ok in the "i cant make this sh!t up" file so i strapped the tires so i can see them..took a 30 minute ride all good!! i'm comfortable with them traveling 1000 miles like that...so happy ole me goes to the gas station to fill up..fill up, go to start car nothing..i mean no power anywhere..hit the shut off on/off nothing..then magically i have power??? i drive home as soon as i turn on the lights engine shuts off power dead!!!..i have never had this problem before..all new wiring about 2yrs ago. coast almost to garage but cant quiite get there...so i start to trouble shoot the dam thing..pull ign, switch, start button, etc..fuse box has nothing??..soooo i start wiggling things around and power on?..i pull fuse box and power is now on?..sooo anyway i find my main fuse box power wire connector is kinda loose where it plugs in before it heads to fuse box...i recrimp it and it seems to have power?? bizare stuff there as i have never had an issue before ..i'm hoping i have solved that issue? i have to drive 75 miles to race on sunday..lol but on a good note the tires stayed attached to the carrier!!!..so i'm good there..solve one issue find another!!

Comment

Comment

Here is the slick carrier I built for my Galaxie. I incorporated a bar that runs through the wheels that is lockable so they don't "walk away" at the motel. With such a big heavy car I was too nervous too run DRs on it. It does get a little by the end of the week swapping tires back and forth but the peace of mind was worth it for me.
                Last edited by AlanCasida; August 18, 2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

wow that a nice carrier! great work there!..i was going to lay the tires down but not being able to see them was going to be a little unnerving for me. standing them up i can keep an eye on them. So i feel a little better about that..

Comment

Looks like you figured it out and now you can run your bigger diameter tires on the street....bonus!!

Comment

I know of several cars that have been wrecked in sudden storms with drag radials I would never recommend running them between tracks. Discretion is the better part of valor!

Bill

Comment

I'll be swapping between et drags and normal street tires. Speaking of things coming up....found a really weird issue that hasnt cropped up once since i started driving the car in the spring. The issue is that whenever i would slow down coming through towns or slow traffic, within a few minutes the car would shut off. It would crank but not fire...am i vapor locking the fuel, am i overheating the coils wtf....leave it sitting for about 30 seconds and it starts right up like nothing happened. Once it would start doing it, it would consistently keep doing it until i would leave the car alone for a prolonged period. Only other consistent thing was that it would only show up after the cars been running for longer than an hour.

Limped it to a buddys house and left it idling and sure enough it stumbled and died. Maybe a failing fuel pump. I reprime it and cant hear the pump run....

Open the trunk where the battery, relay and thermofuse for the fuel pump are and the thermofuse is hot to the touch.....there's the culprit. the fuse was getting hot and doing its job, let it cool off for 30 seconds and it would relatch...but why would a 30amp thermofuse be tripping on a walbro 450 rated at 15amps continuous...swapped it out for a regular 40amp blade fuse and its been fine ever since. I bought a fuse terminal tester that will tell you your amp draw and the pump was drawing 15 amps as rated....i guess a bad thermofuse...

Its things like that, that can really ruin your day and why its important to drive drive DRIVE these things in Drag Week trim. Currently outfitting the trailer as it will be during drag week and gonna go drive around.

Comment

yea , i do drive mine all over but that electrical crap can be tough!!..i went back and cutout the connector and soldered the connection..then drove under full electrical load to see if it got hot..it didnt..sooo i will be driving to the track tomm. its supposed to be 88..so it should be a nice test! lol...it is nice to know we all have issues that come up..i'm starting to get pretty stoked about my first DW!!
                          Last edited by 55chebby; August 19, 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

ok just got back from the track..LOL..car ran waaayyy off but felt ok? went to check the timing...crank moves an ez 1/4" soo thrust bearings out! lovely....soooo as soon as it cools down...out it comes!!

Comment

I'm still in. Finally got to make some full passes last week, got the trailer wiring done. Now to do some tuning and test the street manners.

Comment

well its good to hear its going good!!..i have the motor out...will look inside tomm. night
                                Last edited by 55chebby; August 20, 2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X