Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting closer. Who is still planning on going???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know what caused the thrust to go out? hopefully it won't happen again

Go over the class rules, from the point of view of the inspector. Is there anything you are worried about?

anyways, welcome to A/Gas, should be fun!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

well one of the main bearing was chewed up some..that main was to far out to hone. so they line bored it to bring it in. thats the only thing that stood out?
      really my only concern with A/gas is we have tubular front a-arms, stock configuration. i think i'm just being paraniod about it..its not a mustang 2 setup or anything like that so i think i'm good..

Comment

Wish me luck. My shop and my home got flooded last week by harvey, power has been out for since last saturday, finally got the water out of the shop and house tuesday. I hurt the motor on they dyno two weeks ago so it had to come out I still have a lot to do putting the short block together now, have to Finnish tinning the floor, the brakes need to be installed and bleed and i would like to get the top finished before we leave on friday, i need to get some power because i have some welding to do on the exhaust. Not having power is really slowing my down.I can only work during daylight and the lack of power tools is killing me. I don't have a tow vehicle as of yet so I will try to drive it from houston up to cordova, any one else driving all the way?

Comment

wow, tough luck...but it would be great if you get it all done and show up! I'm towing with a truck that's older than the race car, and the car is 55 years old....does that count? But I have driven to DW twice from AZ, it's a blast.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Thank you for posting the info again Squirrel. I'm entering a bracket race at Gateway tomorrow to use as a test session.
            GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

I'm still in. Working on my packing list this weekend. Lots of life issues over the last few months creating challenges but as of now, I'm still a go.

Comment

If I can sort through the final issues I will be there 8 am on Sunday.

Engine will be here Tues, not sure when but sometime in the late morning I would assume. But that has to wait for the turbo upgrade I bought and since I don't have a tracking number yet, hopefully I will have one tomorrow.

From there I will make an attempt to get this all done in the next couple of days. If I do make it it will likely be untested and road tuned. So I guess first run it will either spin 1st really hard or hook and go.

Comment

Well i had a shock last monday. I was installing the SFI balancer and looking under the car and decided to change the oil while i was at it...plan was to run thicker oil as i found 5w30 was just too thin for a turbo car. I wanted to puke when i saw bronze oil filled with glitter come out of the pan. This was 8:30pm. By 9:30pm i had the exhaust, tranny, radiator, everything disconnected and engine ready to come out. Tuesday morning i pulled the motor and took it apart. Spun no6 connecting rod....No idea why other than the oil being too thin for the application. Luckily (or knowingly) i had a spare LS motor on the stand partially torn down. The idea was to pull the rods and pistons out of it as spares just in case. I decided to swap motors because of all the crap that was sent through the entire oiling system. The rest of the connecting rod bearings were scored and pitted and they were brand new 3 months ago.

I had to travel for work tuesday through thursday, but Friday had buddies come over and attack the engine. Transferred heads, pistons and rods, regapped rings, reassembled, threw it in the car and it was running on Saturday. Only downside is this block is not aluminum 5.3. This is also why i transferred the rods and pistons. I had an L33 in the car and didnt want to give up the 243 heads, and dished pistons with 243 heads gives a very low compression. A change in CR would mean id have to retune the car as well and there just isnt enough time. So i've in essence created an iron block 10:1 CR L33....

Imagine what would have happened if i decided to change the oil right prior to DW?

Hopefully, knock on wood, thats all the major set backs....but yea, Perseverance, and the fact that i run a junkyard motor means plentiful cheap parts to throw at it.

Comment

wow...good save! see you there
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• you dodged a bullet there Red, way to bust ass and get it up n going!!

Comment

• Wow. Glad pulled off the save!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by racefast View Post
                          Wish me luck. My shop and my home got flooded last week by harvey, power has been out for since last saturday, finally got the water out of the shop and house tuesday. I hurt the motor on they dyno two weeks ago so it had to come out I still have a lot to do putting the short block together now, have to Finnish tinning the floor, the brakes need to be installed and bleed and i would like to get the top finished before we leave on friday, i need to get some power because i have some welding to do on the exhaust. Not having power is really slowing my down.I can only work during daylight and the lack of power tools is killing me. I don't have a tow vehicle as of yet so I will try to drive it from houston up to cordova, any one else driving all the way?
                          Man sorry to hear, im also in the Houston area and while we didnt flood, been splitting time between getting ready for DW and helping those that did. Thankfully i was mostly ready before the rains came. Didn't get to do much testing though.

We are heading out Friday am from Cypress but towing car to Davenport. Pm ne your contact info and I'll give you a call this week.

Comment

• A bit of a run in with a deer last week threw me for a loop and I'm scrambling for certifications and liscences. My wife and I are ok but the car is totaled. Does anybody know if there will be an NHRA chassis certification going on at Cordova. I know that there was last year at National Trail but they are an NHRA facility.Being that we, as racers, are stuck in the middle of an NHRA and IHRA pissing match I am not sure what will be going on at Cordova. If I cannot find out I will have to take Plan B again this year. I have emailed drag week and am waiting for a response, I'm curious to see if anybody here has heard anything.
                            Last edited by petej; September 5, 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• check your messages
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• What a change from last year, the e-mail responses from drag week are very quick. I got a response from them and they will have an NHRA chassis inspector there on Sunday so that's not an issue.

Still trying to wrap my arms around the whole license issue. Heck, I may just run Great Lakes this week to make my qualifying passes for IHRA and then do the same for Byron on Saturday...waiting to hear back as to if I can use drag week to make my final license passes.

Comment

Working...
                                X