No announcement yet.

Drag Week rule changes for 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things I love about the classes at Drag week is that you try to be the fastest. I'm not in favor of any thing on Drag Week whereby you can lose by going too fast. If they want to slow a class down, find easy to tech restrictions. Like limit the tire size, or limit turbo size.

Comment

Agreed, the trying to run exactly 8.500 just doesn't seem to fit Dragweek.

Comment

the only catch i see tho..is not all tracks have enough shut down erea for cars running in the 7's and under...i know at Byron the faster classes mostly run 1/8 mile...that track is also a little ruff on the 2nd half...just sayn..

Comment

You must be confused with the grove, union grove has a ruff shut down, Byron does not, I have been well over 160mph at byron not using the chute, did not make the return road, but you can go past that by a long way and come back
          Last edited by Neverlift; September 22, 2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Yeah, union grove seemed to be a short shutdown area.

Comment

The problem with averaging an 1/8et into the mix is that the end average for the week is just a number, it wouldn't relate to a 1/4 mile time and wouldn't mean as much. But, To keep new fresh tracks in the mix they might have to do that at some point. Since the event has grown I am sure it is easier to get tracks on board than it used to be. That is ne of the bonuses of running drag week to me, hitting new tracks!

Joel, the only rule change I have heard about so far is a maximum of 7 Carburetors in the Hot Rod class
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy71 View Post
                Yeah, union grove seemed to be a short shutdown area.

Its not super short but it is rough, ,makes it feel like you ran off the end of the track as opposed to hitting the shut down lol

Comment

yes the grove is short...not my fav. i race at Byron and i hear it from guys running way faster than i will ever be going there. i also hear its a ruff surface on the backhalf..i dont really feel it in my car.lol..maybe its just a few guys without good equipment ?.idk...being what has happened there this yr , i'm thinking they wont be a part of DW again..just my thoughts.

Comment

heh...they're both better than National Trail!
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I know at Byron they don't run blown Fuel not because the shutdown is particularly short nor too rough, but more because you've got 2200' of uphill shutdown, followed by sand, followed by trees! Running into a cornfield after scrubbing half of your 325mph with a parachute and gravel isn't a big deal. Running into a tree at the sort of speed a TF or FC would still potentially be going? Notsomuch.

I've only ever held a timeslip with 142ish there, and there was loads of room for me to make the turn. The folks I pit with are as high as 205ish, and they've said mostly that you need to have good brakes and use them, but it doesn't seem too terrible. We're the two wheeled variety of guys, so no chutes and a bit more hesitant on aggressive braking just past the line than a car! Once you strap the front of a bike, you've got effectively a solid front suspension, and the classic bracket racing ripples around the finish line's pavement are very noticable.

I agree that index racing is not really in the spirit of Drag Week though. I do kinda wish I could enter the bike, as I'm fairly sure that I'd have no issues with the mileage (so long as the hotel has a hot tub for my spine at the end of the day!), and a 10.0 number wouldn't be hard for me to nail, it's covered by a pinch, I just have to be a wimp with the throttle between 60 and 330'. Really, I only see the way forwards in a more restrictive ruleset for modifications for the cars, and probably by adding a longer drive between days, as that seems to break more cars than the track can manage.

The SME/10.0 class isn't too far off realistic. This year, it was average a 10.anything and then win 5 rounds of bracket. I could be convinced that the tree should go sportsman rather than pro, but it didn't seem that anyone was really consistently chopping it down. Seemed to give the guys with the extra power a chance to stage deep and gain an advantage, which I did think was nice.

Still, most fun race event of the year? You know it's good when it's great to watch! I can't imagine just how fun (and awful, and long, and harrowing...) it must be to compete in.

Comment

"I agree that index racing is not really in the spirit of Drag Week though."

I don't know. Daily Driver/Street Eliminator has always had a maximum E.T. And NHRA safety regs are always going to limit how hard some competitors can really run their machines.

The real spirit of Drag Week is the endurance of driver and machine necessary to complete it. Sure, the more radical a racing car gets, the harder that becomes. But adding complexity to the rules also breeds more cost to the racers and the promoter. Thin rulebooks and maximum creativity rule.

I'd probably be fine if they just regulated safety and weighed and P&G'd the vehicles and then just set up a class structure based on weight-to-cubes (separating out power adders from "motor") . . . but I'm probably too simplistic on this.

More real racing would be good too . . . .
                        Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; September 22, 2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

well regardless what they do i will do my best to be a part of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            heh...they're both better than National Trail!

Yeah no kidding, that was just an uncomfortable shut down. I have been on shorter shut downs that were less stressful than that one for sure.

Comment

I got worried at NT only going 130, on my last pass there. The track was in rough shape because they just kept running cars, never cleaned it, so they could get the show done.

Thin rulebooks rule!
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I really hate to see it turn into index racing. I understand the 8.50 sec thing and the 10.00 thing, but I really wish they would do something other than just let people who demonstrate a capability of running under the index continue to run in that class. Perhaps kick them into Unlimited? If you have a car that runs under 8.50 more than once at a track you get kicked into Unlimited- but you still can't hand in a time slip faster than you are teched, maybe? And change the rules so that Ultimate Iron requires an original VIN tag and get rid of the Iron part of the class requirements to allow Corvettes to run in that class.
                                Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Working...
                                X