Camping on Drag Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping on Drag Week

Placed an order for a new helmet and new harness. Looking into a trailer for tires and tools.

Looks like the rooms are booked up. Anyone ever / planning on tent camping? Were did / are you staying? Camp grounds? truck stop? Do the tracks open the day before the race for early arrivals? I don't mind not having a room, but it would be nice to have AC power and a shower.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

We plan to pick up a new, custom-built New Wave "Box-drop" mini-camper in Bainbridge GA on the Saturday before check-in. Napping with the parts, tires, and tools in a 4x8 mini-camper has to be better than in a U-haul or a tent (we've tried 'em both on previous DWs).

We have no idea yet where we'll park overnight. But maybe truck stops and WalMarts could be in the mix.

There's no way this saves any money over motels, but there's more freedom and adventure under the camping plan. . . .

Too bad more tracks aren't like Bowling Green and Tulsa, which have been very accommodating to camping racers in the past.
    New Wave Teardrop Mini Campers is your source for custom built, affordable mini camper - travel trailers.

Comment

That trailer is too nice to be hooked to my car.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

It'll probably shame our heap as well.

I've written some of the tracks about camping. Here's the response from Atlanta Dragway's track manager William Tharpe:

Good evening, we will have a couple options for this event. There will be overnight parking for participants and vendors inside the gates. For our spectators they will have to be out in the main parking lot for camping. We will also have a stacking area at the racers gate on Saturday night before registration on Sunday morning.

Also, we will overnight parking at the conclusion of things on Friday evening. We know that a number of people would like to rest prior to getting on the road.
        Here's Darlington's response, from Track GM Jimmy Bradshaw:

I can let you camp in the spectator lot. No hookups though
        I haven't figured out how to get through to the right person at the two Speedway Motorsports, Inc tracks (Bristol and Z-Max). But the camping information they do have posted about other events suggests it may be pricey. .

Comment

Working...
        X