Drag Week 2016 video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Week 2016 video

My wife and I shipped our '69 Camaro over from Holland in 2016 to compete at Drag Week. We didn't win any prizes or set any records, but we had the time of our life. We are the only Dutch people to have ever shipped a car over for the event.

The link below shows a compilation of video's I put together to give you an impression of what it's all about. Those of you who have done this, don't need to get the impression as you already know. Then just sit back and enjoy. Kill some time because it's winter and still 276 days till Drag Week 2019

~Alain~
    A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
    "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Nice video! I can't imagine what you go thru to come over to the USA and race.

Comment

Thanks Hemi Joel. There's a lot of paper work involved before you can even drop your car off at the port. The EPA needs to send you a letter of exemption, US Customs needs to know just about everything but the colour of your underwear and then there's the day you hand your keys over to a complete stranger and hope he takes good care of your car.

I had a GPS tracker in my car, but then of course I had to have one with worldwide coverage, and not just Europe. We dropped the car off at the port at the beginning of June and got it back in Holland early November.

The actual trip between tracks is also a tricky one as a foreigner. Our credit cards aren't usable at a lot of gas pumps because when they ask for you to input your ZIP code, it wont except our international one. We have to go inside and charge an amount to the card and after filling up, go back inside and get them to refund the rest back to the card. That's ok during the day, but if you get stuck somewhere with problems and have to travel through the night, good luck finding gas pumps that are open. Most of the ones we pass on the back roads are closed and you can only pay at the pump.

Sad but true, if you come over from overseas and you end up needing parts or repairs on the way somewhere, they'll charge you an arm and a leg. They basically try to rip you off. We had that once and I've heard that from a couple of other overseas guys too. Luckily we can do a lot ourselves and have a fair knowledge of what parts cost, so you just leave and go elsewhere. For some reason they think that if you can afford to ship a car over from Europe or somewhere else on the globe, you're made of money and are willing to part with it quite easily.

We'd like to be able to do it again somewhere in the future. We ended up shipping the Camaro over as an alternative to something quicker, but I'd like to do it in my '69 Twin Turbo Dart some day.
      ~Alain~
      A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
      "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

Working...
      X